Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 07:00 AM   #1096
dina_
dina_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It would be amazing if they did. Interactive drawing/editing on eink seems to be very challenging. The Sketch pad is poor. The drawing/sketching on the reMarkable is the best on eink and can't copy/paste images (or didn't last I looked) and is rubbish compared to a decent LCD tablet. I've an Android eink, and while it's likely slower than the Libra Colour or Sage (I have), it's abysmal to unusable for notes or image editing. Even a text editor with external real keyboard is poor. On the Kobo I highlight a big chunk of epub and type a miniimum of annotation.

The eink is nearly 5000x slower than fastest OLED/LCD for pixel response/change and frame rate (without much gray scale) about 20x slower than many tablets.

Like LCD, the Kaleido color used on the Libra Colour is a coloured dye filter on a monochrome panel, so the mono Libra 300 dpi is reduced to 150 dpi. LCD makers haven't quoted native mono pixel resolution under the colour filter for maybe 30 years.
Thanks for the explanation. I thought it was more like inserting a picture into a notebook but without any major editing. I'm writing a book review and it would be great if I could include a picture of the cover. You should be able to adjust the size of the image, but that would be it
dina_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:21 AM   #1097
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
It would be amazing if they did.
It never ceases to amaze me what they've already done! You may be right about the specific difficulties of eink, colour and note-taking, but it takes a brave person to tell a skilled developer what they can't do.

What I am fairly sure about is that any future development project will begin as a result of something a developer wants for personal use, rather than a request made by someone else. If they're generous enough to share with the rest of us, that's a bonus.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:19 AM   #1098
dina_

I didn't even think that someone would make one especially for me, but if maybe there was already an option to install already existing programs for notes. I see that it is possible to install alternative apps for reading, so maybe there is already something for writing notes.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:45 PM   #1099
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina_ View Post
I didn't even think that someone would make one especially for me, but if maybe there was already an option to install already existing programs for notes. I see that it is possible to install alternative apps for reading, so maybe there is already something for writing notes.
Sorry, no offence or anything personal was intended. Just a comment, really, about how community-shared projects tend to start. I think KOReader has been many years and several people in the making to arrive at where it is today.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:44 PM   #1100
dina_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Sorry, no offence or anything …
No problem, I wasn't offended. I haven't had an e-reader before, I read on an iPad/Samsung tablet. I would like to buy a kobo because it is lighter and easier to carry outside the house. There are a lot of excellent things on this forum, but as a beginner it is very difficult for me to manage and understand all the additional changes that can be made, that's how these stupid questions of mine happen. Thanks for your help

P.S.Eng is not my native language, I'm struggling with grammar mistakes
Old 04-17-2024, 01:56 PM   #1101
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
P.S.Eng is not my native language, I'm struggling with grammar mistakes
Considering my language skills, you are doing well at getting your meaning across.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:19 PM   #1102
dina_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering my language skills, you are doing well at getting your meaning across.
Satire...? I really want to buy my first e-reader, but I'm confused by a lot of information... I'll have to think carefully about what I can get with the purchase of the Kobo Libre color

In any case, thanks for your patience and help
Old 04-17-2024, 03:10 PM   #1103
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
It would be amazing if they did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... it takes a brave person to tell a skilled developer what they can't do.
Indeed, but I'd have no problem telling a skilled developer that what they did was amazing! (Such as the ones that created KOreader and Plato.)
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:59 PM   #1104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Satire...? I really want to buy my first e-reader, but I'm confused by a lot of information... I'll have to think carefully about what I can get with the purchase of the Kobo Libre color

In any case, thanks for your patience and help
No satire. Like too many native English speakers, my language skills are poor. Basically, once you get past phrases like "Another beer, please" or "Which way to the washroom", my second language skills are exhausted.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:26 AM   #1105
dina_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
No satire. Like too many native English speakers, my language skills are poor. Basically, once you get past phrases like "Another beer, please" or "Which way to the washroom", my second language skills are exhausted.
It's a good start ,if you ever come to Croatia:

“Another beer, please" - “Još jednu pivu, molim”
"Which way to the washroom" - “U kojem smjeru je toalet”
Old 04-21-2024, 12:14 PM   #1106
driuba
driuba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What would be a good way to test a patch on different e-readers? Is there some resource anyone can point me to?
driuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:38 PM   #1107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by driuba View Post
What would be a good way to test a patch on different e-readers? Is there some resource anyone can point me to?
You would need to ask others with these Readers to test the patch and hope you get a yes or buy the different Readers and test the patch yourself.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:17 PM   #1108
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by driuba View Post
The patches are the same (for the most part) on all readers... what exactly are you asking for?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:41 PM   #1109
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The patches are the same (for the most part) on all readers... what exactly are you asking for?
See posts #1086 and my reply in #1087.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #1110
elity
elity began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there an existing modification to turn off page-turn via swiping?

I've just purchased a kobo Elipse to try it out and see if it has the features I need.

The first and most important reason why I want an e-reader is so that I can run my finger under the text as I read. I usually read and take notes on my laptop, but I can read faster when I'm moving my finger (and my eyes follow my finger).

Unfortunately, when I use my finger like this, that triggers the Kobo's page-turn function.

In the settings of the device, there's a"Page forward and back by:" option, which seems like exactly what I want. But astonishingly, the only options appear to be "Tapping or swiping" and "Swiping only." For some reason, there's no option for "Tapping only."

This seems like it _might_ be a a relatively shallow software hack. Possible there's just an existing variable in the firmware that just needs to be set to "true", while another variable is set to "false". (Or maybe not. It depends how they wrote it, obviously.)

Has someone written a mod that disables page-turning via swiping?
elity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests