Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #61
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
In what way? I agree the implementation was flawed, e.g. the odd diagonal "scratches" at the top of the screen, but there's no way I would call it "hideous".
Yep, I'm talking about those diagonal scratches. That was about everything that stood out for me on that device, apart from that beautiful flush screen. I kinda think that scratches on the front of the screen are a game-breaker for me, in terms of hardware tech (Oh no, here we go again...)

I must admit though, I was seriously excited about that flush screen and light weight and small size. But yeah, the exchange process and having every single device have those scratches left a pretty nasty taste in my mouth. Also please don't take personally my experience with the Kindle Oasis er- I mean Kobo or let it influence yours! I am sure you have a wonderful device and I am glad you like it :-) I also really like the sound of hair-dryers and I hate Offal and Okra and I thought 2001 was kinda boring but if you enjoyed those or hate hair-dryers I am so happy to have this difference with you! Also I love E-reading and peace and friends and harmony and you!...

Don't know what it is though - personal attacks, racism and fighting on the Kindle forum (lol) would lead me to believe I'm too discerning (or delusional, or uneducated, have too high standards, a Nazi, blindness, suffer from some kind of perpetual disappointment disorder etc. etc.)but Ereaders are a piece of tech that always seem to have these er, game breaking bugs... Whether it's scratches on a screen, a colour gradient, cones, weird shadows, etc there always seems to be something to disappoint me... Im currently using a google nexus 6P to type this and couldn't care less about the enormous, huge cracks going down and across it, as well a huge gaping hole in the glass in the bottom left corner... if I had the same screen on an ereader I would go nuts - go figure.

I have found an absolutely perfect and quite honestly jaw dropping H2O that I will probably take to the grave with me!

Last edited by cerem0ny; 06-29-2016 at 08:44 AM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #62
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Or fail miserably, a la BlackBerry (where is my g*d-d*med full QWERTY hardware android phone already!)
Totally off topic, but have you ever looked at the Blackberry Priv? Android, has a slide out hardware keyboard, and the reviews I've read have been decent.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #63
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
I usually use my H20 at home, but I need a replacement for my Aura 6''. When I'm leaving from H20 and the Aura take place, everything seems so foggy and grayish...
I will cross my fingers for a 6'' device with a flush screen (like Aura), Ink Carta Display with the resolution of Glo HD, the waterproof of H2O and a external SD slot.
That's a improvement and I want it!!!!

WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
I usually use my H20 at home, but I need a replacement for my Aura 6''. When I'm leaving from H20 and the Aura take place, everything seems so foggy and grayish...
I will cross my fingers for a 6'' device with a flush screen (like Aura), Ink Carta Display with the resolution of Glo HD, the waterproof of H2O and a external SD slot.
That's a improvement and I want it!!!!

I'm hoping for a 7.8" Reader. 6" is so mundane these days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #65
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Totally off topic, but have you ever looked at the Blackberry Priv? Android, has a slide out hardware keyboard, and the reviews I've read have been decent.
Yes, I have been considering it. But although it's a good phone it's been shrouded in bad press. And in AUS it's still $900 and I don't think it will trump my current nexus 6P.And it's still not my holy grail device - don't really like slide out keyboards, but it is certainly an option.... Plus, I am aware that there are two new mid range blackberries on the way - a full QWERTY keyboard android device and a basic touchscreen, and when they come out, it's awn!
Also considered the BlackBerry Classic but playing around with it in a store yielded a pretty laughably choppy experience similar to using my ancient BlackBerry bold.
They will be announced in July if the BlackBerry CEO is making honest statements! Very excited, its been about a decade in the making!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #66
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping for a 7.8" Reader. 6" is so mundane these days.

mundane to you, but definitely not to me.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #67
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I agree, the device was beautiful. Just needed a better screen. If what they are releasing is an improved Aura, I want one!
I'll be right there in line with you. If they could add waterproofing and wireless charging it would be just about perfect.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #68
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Yes, I have been considering it. But although it's a good phone it's been shrouded in bad press. And in AUS it's still $900 and I don't think it will trump my current nexus 6P.And it's still not my holy grail device - don't really like slide out keyboards, but it is certainly an option.... Plus, I am aware that there are two new mid range blackberries on the way - a full QWERTY keyboard android device and a basic touchscreen, and when they come out, it's awn!
Also considered the BlackBerry Classic but playing around with it in a store yielded a pretty laughably choppy experience similar to using my ancient BlackBerry bold.
They will be announced in July if the BlackBerry CEO is making honest statements! Very excited, its been about a decade in the making!
Interesting! I have a Classic myself; I've found it to be a pretty decent phone. Then again, my demands are not high. :-P

Anyways, I'm still really curious to see if these FCC-filed Kobos will turn out to be real...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #69
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Anyways, I'm still really curious to see if these FCC-filed Kobos will turn out to be real...
Has Kobo (or anyone) ever faked an FCC filing?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #70
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Has Kobo (or anyone) ever faked an FCC filing?
Faked, not that I'm aware of, but I'd bet there are filings for devices which never came to market. Probably not from Kobo or ereader companies though.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've done some searching and it seems that this new Kobo Reader really is a 7.8" device and the hardware is made by Netronix.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Faked, not that I'm aware of, but I'd bet there are filings for devices which never came to market. Probably not from Kobo or ereader companies though.
To my mind, the only questions is exactly when they will be released. The timing suggests September/October, but it's possible they might only release one then and the other in their usual April/May slot.

Quote:
I've done some searching and it seems that this new Kobo Reader really is a 7.8" device and the hardware is made by Netronix.
Both of those things are available in the FCC listings. What did you find to make it more likely?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:49 PM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Which is what the FCC filing said didn't it? It's not surprising, that's usually who manufactures Kobo devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Both of those things are available in the FCC listings. What did you find to make it more likely?
https://fccid.io/NOIKBN709

Quote:
FCC ID NOIKBN709
NOI-KBN709, NOI KBN709, NOIKBN709, NOIKBN7O9, N0IKBN709, NO1KBN709
Netronix Inc 7.8 inch Electronic Display Device
Old 07-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #75
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
And your point?

That site merely extracts details from the FCC filing. It doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote