Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINGXXIIE View Post
PS: If my university wasn't so reliant on Microsoft Office, I'd jump ship to Linux almost instantly.
One of the things I recently did was install Linux on a tiny 32GB Samsung Fit flash drive. Very easy way to do multiboot. Use it primarily for web browsing and Calibre at the moment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I knew it wasn't likely to be an issue with calibre. It just seemed similar.
It would have been once upon a time -- I added the SetDllDirectory code only after a calibre user was bitten by the dll on path thing
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #18
MINGXXIIE
MINGXXIIE began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Basic (8th gen)
Surprise surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
One of the things I recently did was install Linux on a tiny 32GB Samsung Fit flash drive. Very easy way to do multiboot. Use it primarily for web browsing and Calibre at the moment.
That's actually a very good idea - I might look into this, to run a distro in persistent mode.

So - according to @kovidgoyal's suggestion that there might be malware on my Yoga, I clean installed Windows. Calibre still didn't work, exact same issue.

But here's the surprising thing. I downloaded the portable version of Calibre, installed it to a separate folder on my C: drive, and ran it. Guess what? It works!

This makes me inclined to believe that it might be a permissions-based issue (as to what DaltonST thinks), rather than a security issue. Mmwell, who knows

This being said, I've solved my issue of Calibre - if there's anyone else with a Lenovo Yoga 330 11-IGM (apparently called the Lenovo Flex 11 in the US), this may be the only solution for now

Last edited by MINGXXIIE; 10-09-2018 at 09:08 AM.
MINGXXIIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINGXXIIE View Post
This makes me inclined to believe that it might be a permissions-based issue (as to what DaltonST thinks), rather than a security issue. Mmwell, who knows
✔️

If you feel inclined, try installing the 32bit version, there have been a few instances of 64bit failing to install, but the 32bit version installed ok. I've no idea why - maybe permissions, no evidence of hardware dependency, and it happened on Windows 7. There seems to be some sort of rabbit-hole in the so-called Trusted Installer

The major advantage of installed calibre 32bit over portable calibre (which is the same 32 bit version) is that you can keep your library(ies) wherever you want and have per user configurations.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's likely that whatever is interfering with the SSL Dll is only hooking 64bit dlls not 32bit ones.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
Chuckqt
Chuckqt began at the beginning.

Device: Chuckqt
Exclamation Calibre Crashing at start up

I have been using Calibre for years without ever experiencing any problems. That is until last week. Calibre crashes whenever I start the program. I have looked for viruses, installed the 64-bit version. I was running the 32-bit first and installed an older version to see if that helped. To date, nothing has helped. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am including the error message files.
Thanks
Chuck

calibre, version 3.33.1
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 289, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 233, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 436, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 771, in save_layout_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 636, in save_state
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 630, in write_state
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 617, in set_pref
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 134, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 130, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 845, in execute
File "c:\t\t\apsw-j1n8vs\apsw-3.23.1-r1\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
Chuckqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

exclude both calibre.exe and the calibre library folder from your antivirus, or disable th enativirus and you will be fine. Most likely it is blocking calibre from accessing its library.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The last line says it
is there a metadata.db in the Library folder?

Note: reinstalls never change the SETTINGS that remember which Library you were using. If that is sick (damaged), then it could be trying a wrong place.

More common, is your Anti-whatever updated and now blocks calibre

Search your computer for metadata.db and see if that is there (there will be many Author folders in the same place )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #24
Chuckqt
Chuckqt began at the beginning.

Device: Chuckqt
Smile WOW Thanks!

So disabling the antivirus solved the problem. I did look for the metadata.db file and it was there as expected, but thanks for the suggestion!

And thanks for the help, I love Calibre and have suggested it to many of my friends. It is by far the best program of its type!
Chuckqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckqt View Post
So disabling the antivirus solved the problem. I did look for the metadata.db file and it was there as expected, but thanks for the suggestion!

And thanks for the help, I love Calibre and have suggested it to many of my friends. It is by far the best program of its type!
Just whitelist Calibre.exe and you might exclude your libray folder from ACTIVE scans (leave it for Manual scans), as all items should have been checked where they were before
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed