Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I just realized that I've got three Kobo WiFi readers that may be registered with Kobo, three Sonys, two Touches and a Mini. I read somewhere in these forums (via Google Search) that Kobo has a six device limit per account. I've got no problem deactivating several of these devices (how?) but I'm curious if this could be why my T1 and the test T2 aren't displaying Purchased books? And is there any way to see what devices you have attached to your Kobo account? I'll start by factory resetting two of the WiFis (ones I'm going to get rid of anyhow). I don't know for certain if I ever attached them to my Kobo account, but I think I did.

I'll report back. Hopefully this is the issue.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #17
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Another option to try would be to create a separate "dummy" kobo account, purchase a few free ebooks/samples and then see if they will download to the T-1. The link (below) from kobo appears to indicate that it's possible to have separate accounts (on kobo ereaders) and that the wifi will also have to be reset.
https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...r-kobo-ereader
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #18
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if this is an issue or not but an app on my kindle fire wouldn't connect to the internet which was perplexing. Turns out I had recently set the firewall on my router to "high" and this blocked the app even though others apps worked fine. Setting the router firewall to medium solved the problem and wifi connectivity was reestablished with the app. Some ereader internet connectivity issues involve adjusting the ereader MAC address on the router as well.

Quote:
MAC Filtering

Some routers filter all devices that haven’t been approved by the network administrator -- you. If you’ve set up your router to use MAC address filtering, you’ll need to enter your Kindle’s MAC address into the router’s management software. On the Kindle, open settings and then choose “Device” and “About” to reveal your MAC address. Check the router manufacturer's website for the IP address for the router -- usually 192.168.0.1 -- and enter the address into the Web browser on a computer to access router settings. Click on “MAC filtering” and add your Kindle’s MAC address to the list of allowed devices.
https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/k...ter-25443.html
Old 08-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #19
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've put eBooks from Kobo on a T1. The way I did it was to download the ePub version and remove the DRM. It works perfectly.
True, but what would be the fun in that? The issue is to download the ebook wirelessly to the T-1. A possible workaround to achieve this would be to put the "sanitized" ePub into Calibre and then open up the Calibre server to get the ebook on the T1 wirelessly. I believe I was able to do this a few years ago but now I prefer to take the easy way out.

If interested, the thread below gives some tips on how to use Calibre to wirelessly send books to the T-1.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=181137
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #20
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Thanks for all the responses! I'm sorry I didn't come back sooner; I had intended to check on my T1 again before reporting back, but work got in the way (as usual) and I never got around to it.

It is interesting to me that so many of you are having the exact same experience that I am, so it is likely not me, but something to do with how my reader is interfacing with either Kobo or the internet.

That reminds me of something; until a few months ago, I had been downloading my new Kobo purchases to my computer with the old Sony Reader software. However, the last time I tried it, I wasn't able to connect. I didn't go back to try it again and now I'm wondering if it is all related and whether I lost access on my T1 at the same time. I assumed it was a one time thing, but I found a different way to access my books and I didn't try it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you remove the DRM, there's no need for the store on the T1.
This is absolutely true, but is an entirely different issue from the one I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for the reminder! It's on my list, but unfortunately, too far down to be practical at the moment.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #21
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I think the problem SHOULD always be How to get ePubs (or PDFs or whatever formats the particular Sony knows) on my eReader in order to read them?
The best answer is therefore to have these books ENTIRELY under your OWN control.

What helps you have the fastest cheapest simplest method to get a book for holidays only to notice when you're on the beach that the rights lapsed and you can't read it anymore (and don't have W-LAN either)? Or the beach is in a country that you haven't thought to licence or it is not possible to license at all? And maybe this infringement can lead to the revocation of all your rights for all the books you paid for...
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
It is interesting to me that so many of you are having the exact same experience that I am, so it is likely not me, but something to do with how my reader is interfacing with either Kobo or the internet.
Unfortunately I think it's something Kobo has changed when signing up or re-signing up "new" Sony Readers. I think if you could get past the "registration" step it would work fine, but I haven't been able to get there with any of the "new" Sonys (T2s and T1). My old T2 (which was already registered with Kobo and has never been completely inactive) works fine with the Kobo store and my library. There's no difference in the software release or hardware on the "new" (to me) T2.

I don't think I have six Kobo devices registered, unless ones I've tried stay registered. I wouldn't know how to get rid of them.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I'm sorry I didn't come back sooner; I had intended to check on my T1 again before reporting back, but work got in the way (as usual) and I never got around to it.

I got the "new" T2 to display my Kobo library. What finally kicked it in was doing a search in the Store for a book I already had purchased. Once I got to the book's description, it showed "in library" -- I clicked that link and WiFi came on ... and then Bookshelves finally gave me a choice for "Purchased Content" and there were my books. Now I'm going to try the T1 and see if the same process works there.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #24
Sing Sing
Sing Sing doesn't litterSing Sing doesn't litter

Device: none
What's working for me at the moment on my T1 is to go to:
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/library
in the browser. Substitute "us" and "en" with your own country and language of course.

It lists my books, and to the right of each one are three small circles which lead to a menu with a "download" option.

PS: Also it's worth pressing the browser's button and adding a bookmark, to save remembering it.

Last edited by Sing Sing; 08-26-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Sing Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sing Sing View Post
What's working for me at the moment on my T1 is to go to:
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/library
in the browser. Substitute "us" and "en" with your own country and language of course.

It lists my books, and to the right of each one are three small circles which lead to a menu with a "download" option.

PS: Also it's worth pressing the browser's button and adding a bookmark, to save remembering it.
Well, darn, it almost works for me. It gets me to "My Books" but it only shows the first five books and I can't find any way to scroll to see the others. Maybe there's something I've changed in the browser that I need to change back.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:12 AM   #26
Sing Sing
Sing Sing doesn't litterSing Sing doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, darn, it almost works for me. It gets me to "My Books" but it only shows the first five books and I can't find any way to scroll to see the others. Maybe there's something I've changed in the browser that I need to change back.
Curses, I hadn't bought enough books to find that out. It's says "page 1 of ..." at the bottom, so does swiping take you to another page of books?

Otherwise, you could go to your library on a phone or computer and move some of your books to your archive, to make the list of books in your library shorter. I guess how practical that would be depends on how many books you have.
Sing Sing is offline   Reply With Quote