Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
How to get Shell Access without ids

Hi All
I recently got a used Iliad 2. I found that it did not have shell access.
So i was hunting around for exploits that can be..used.
none really helped, but maybe my fault, as i am not comfy at binary levels.

But..what i did find is this: Iliad runs a version of Firefox.
And FF can do stuff from local filesystem, using its internal apis, if given permission.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...efox-extension

The link talks about windows, but just change the paths to linux.

What i did was put mrxvt on my usb pendrive, create a custom html, calling the mrxvt run.sh as a parameter to /bin/sh. Then open the html and run it.

Then once mrxvt starts, i just copied out registry.xml and added in the sh change and copied the file back on to the location again.
Assuming this is the only change required for shell access, it works almost perfect.
I can now install stuff and make my iliad more useful.

CAUTION: easy to make mistake and brick the device.

So, if anyone is still interested, i can provide more details/some code.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #2
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Hi rhari, this is great news - I have a couple of Iliads and was looking around for this information several years ago, with no success. I will try this and may pm you if I get stuck.
What kind of sw to you plan to install, and where do you find these?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Glad to throw some life into the Iliad.
Were you able to get it working?

There's quite a lot in the wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software

And then just about most GTK based software can be tried out, low specs permitting.

I would recommend the following :
  • unbrickable package(to get a working ssh)
  • FBReader
  • Improved versions of IPDF
  • Midnight Commander as file manager
  • Improved content Lister(22)
  • mrxvt terminal
  • Leadpad text editor
  • Lua package(wondering if KOReader can be made to work. That would be awesome.)

I think wifi wont work, as it seems to get disabled after ids connection fails. But etherner connection may work.

Last edited by rhari79; 05-05-2017 at 10:37 PM.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ids, registry.xml, shell access