Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #16
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
confused , is it 1600*1200 or 600*800 ?
this is very important , because i plan to read comics.
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum View Post
What part of the Jetbook specifications on their website confuses you?
Where did you get the numbers 1600*1200 or 600*800 from?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What part of the Jetbook specifications on their website confuses you?
Where did you get the numbers 1600*1200 or 600*800 from?
Those are specs given for eInk Triton.

800x600 pixel resolution, but 1600x1200 dots. Reason for this is on Triton (the eInk panel used), they overlay a RGB filter onto an eink display, and the filter is only capable of 800x600. So, in practice, each color pixel is formed with 4 dots (or eink Pixels), so the resolution gets halved.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have found in the specifications of the gadget on the Jetbook website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard011600.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	79658  
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The prototype videos I've seen of colour eInk have had rather "washed out"-looking colour. It'll be interesting to see how it looks for real from those people who are buying this device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
The pics of it seem OK in terms of color. it seemed dull compared to an LCD screen but much better compared to plain black and white eInk.

Hopefully someone who made a pre-order can share their experience once they get it in. Although it looks like we are going to have to wait over a month to find out
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Those are specs given for eInk Triton.

800x600 pixel resolution, but 1600x1200 dots. Reason for this is on Triton (the eInk panel used), they overlay a RGB filter onto an eink display, and the filter is only capable of 800x600. So, in practice, each color pixel is formed with 4 dots (or eink Pixels), so the resolution gets halved.
still don't get it , so if i open a colored 1028*764 image , it will apear cropped(i have to move up-down)? , or centered?
what if i open a b&w image same size?
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
What it sounds like to me is if you open a standard black and white page it will have 1600*1200 but if you open something in colour (like a comic) it will only have 600*800.
That's just my guess.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
What it sounds like to me is if you open a standard black and white page it will have 1600*1200 but if you open something in colour (like a comic) it will only have 600*800.
That's just my guess.
If there is a fixed RGB mask over the pixels/mirrors, then wouldn't all four of a set be needed to make grey?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #25
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
It looks splendid on pics but eInk just couldn't be so white in reality. I think the light colors will suffer from gray background - seems to be more light hungry than ordinary eInk Viziplex .
Some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp25adBJbRk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbGZmWKbc6g
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
still don't get it , so if i open a colored 1028*764 image , it will apear cropped(i have to move up-down)? , or centered?
what if i open a b&w image same size?
That entirely depends on the software outputting to the display driver. All of those things are possible, as well as scaling the image.

Also, don't expect it to be able to use the higher resolution if you're opening a black and white image. That again depends on the software, as well as the display driver. If either are set to not totally ignore the 4 filters in place, then you'll be restricted to 800x600. The capabilities of the panel are second to the limitations of the portions controlling the panel, and we've not seen those portions at work yet to effectively know what limitations are imposed ontop of the display panel.

However, it should be noted it is possible for the full resolution of the eink panel to be achieved. There are devices that use the same panel, sans the color filters, and the Triton's display driver is meant to be compatible with those systems at a manufacturer design level. Meaning, the manufacturer should be able to take their existing hardware designs, use the Triton driver instead of the Pearl driver, add color support in the software, and receive similar results. Still, I see it that likely, for sake of ease, they'll limit the resolution to 800x600 in software, are more or less rely on subpixel hinting, for improved look. From a programming standpoint, that would be the easiest solution.

Last edited by Hellmark; 12-06-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Even though I am not very interested in color screen, if Jetbook Color (JC) can display 1600*1200 in grey scale, it can be a very good tool for those who mainly read letter/a4 sized PDF files. JC has almost twice more pixels/dots than Entourage Edge which has 1200 * 825 resolution for the same sized screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
That's just my guess.
Black and white resolution isn't 1200x1600. That's the sub-pixel resolution. Each pixel in the 600x800 colour display consists of a group of four pixels:

RG
BW

Red, green, blue, white. If the controller is clever, it will use sub-pixel addressing for greyscale images that will make use of the higher sub-pixel resolution, rather like Microsoft's cleartype does for LCD screens. But it will never be as good as a pure 1200x1600 greyscale screen for greyscale images.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
watch this video of the colors it can show and comparisons between color versions of pages and b&w versions of the same page

also it is not a Wacom touch display. Hanvon makes their own EMR pen touch components. The last time I saw this in hand it was Pen and Touch. you could select menu items and such with finger touch and then use the pen for highlighting and note writing, things like that

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-06-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #29
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Black and white resolution isn't 1200x1600. That's the sub-pixel resolution. Each pixel in the 600x800 colour display consists of a group of four pixels:

RG
BW

Red, green, blue, white. If the controller is clever, it will use sub-pixel addressing for greyscale images that will make use of the higher sub-pixel resolution, rather like Microsoft's cleartype does for LCD screens. But it will never be as good as a pure 1200x1600 greyscale screen for greyscale images.
I think you are right. I have been searching for more information and found here.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...rs-and-beyond/
Eink triton will create color using a thin transparanet colored filter arrary (CFA) in front of the black and white display. As long as this CFA cannot change its color, I don't think eink Triton can create 1600* 1200 BW image.

I guess I should find a way to get something like Hanvon WISEreader E920.
http://www.slashgear.com/hanvon-wise...lity-07124710/

Last edited by soilwork; 12-06-2011 at 01:19 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #30
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
watch this video of the colors it can show and comparisons between color versions of pages and b&w versions of the same page

also it is not a Wacom touch display. Hanvon makes their own EMR pen touch components. The last time I saw this in hand it was Pen and Touch. you could select menu items and such with finger touch and then use the pen for highlighting and note writing, things like that
the colour is definitely good enough for me - not available in Europe yet, so I won't have to resist the temptation, but very much looking forward to the reviews!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote