Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
VAT and books in the UK.

I had no idea until a few days ago that ebooks sold through businesses located in the UK were required to charge Value Added Tax at 17.5%. Paper books, magazines and newspapers sold in the UK are sold without VAT; but apparently ebooks are placed under the umbrella as other 'digitised products', making them (I assume) legally no different from any other piece of software such as a computer game or word processor.

I have a vague recollection that one of the reasons there is no VAT on books in the UK is that it was felt it would be wrong to tax knowledge; that 'knowledge' in the form of books should be made affordable to all.

Assuming that I have this right, then shouldn't it be the case (obviously I'm directing this at people in the UK, especially ones who aren't nearly as clueless about taxes and the like as I am) that ebooks should also be exempt from VAT, given that they have ISBN's which are, to my knowledge, only applied to books? And does this mean that UK law has failed to keep up with the advent of digital books?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eBooks are classified as "computer software", and hence liable for VAT.

Best to buy your e-books from US stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
TomBolini
ebooks distributor
TomBolini doesn't litterTomBolini doesn't litter

Device: HP2710p iLiad Cybook Sony 505 Kindle DR1000S
The same occurs all over UE countries: a UE regulatory norm specifies that ebooks have to be considered "informatic services", not books, and submitted to the standard VAT. Here in Italy, for instance, we've to apply 20% VAT.
Ironically national laws normally consider ebooks being real books to sumbit them to the (crazy) mandatory deposit to public libraries laws.
TomBolini is offline   Reply With Quote