Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
Problem with scratches?

I've had a Kobo Aura for about 2 months now, and I am not all that happy about the screen.

I've been willing to overlook the 2 pinprick light defects in the screen, but the overall durability has been questionable. I take good care of my electronics. My Kobo goes into a sleeve when I'm not using it, and I treat it gently. But even so, after 2 months it's covered in scratches that look really annoying and affect the enjoyment of my reading.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've owned Nooks, iPhones, Nexus tablets, and an iPad. I've never scratched any of them, but I've got 6 or 7 noticeable scratches and scuffs on my 2-month old Aura.

I plan on calling Kobo tomorrow. I hope I have a good chance of a positive outcome.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I find it hard to believe that your screen is covered on scratches (although I'm not accusing you of making it up of course.) I usually keep mine in the front pocket of my shoulder bag along with other bits and pieces (no cover) and as far as I'm aware, it's relatively scratch free. That said, I think the screens of these readers are plastic so are probably more prone to scratching than a phone screen would be.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I understand why you'd think that. But I'm looking at it right now and I count 4 noticeable scratches, each 1-3 inches long running from the top edge of the Aura. There are also 3 "scuff" marks that look like patches of dirt right in the middle of the screen. Thinking that's what it was, I gave it a thorough cleaning with alcohol lens wipes. They are definitely scratches.

In the middle and bottom of the screen, there are a bunch of small scratches running in various directions.

I thought perhaps there was something in the sleeve that was causing it, but it's clean.

Interestingly enough, the big scuffs, which are the most annoying and noticeable to me, were not there yesterday. All I did with the reader today was read on the couch. I put it away when I was finished.

The biggest concern to me is that it *should* take some sort of noticeable impact to scratch one of these. I *should* know, unequivocally, that I caused a scratch on my screen.

The problem with that is that if I were Kobo, I wouldn't believe my story and chalk it up to misuse.

There is a part of me that just wants to buy a new reader despite the fact that I just spent $100 on this one. This is going to drive me insane.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
This might not help, but you could check the inside of your sleeve. I use a sleeve for one of my portable gaming console (3DS) and found there were some plastic bits inside. That could cause the scratches on your device. I'm not using my sleep cover anymore so my Glo is naked as the day it was born, and still no scratches. Though, the sunken-in screen might be a contributing factor for that, since the Aura's screen is flushed with its bezels.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I can't detect any scratches at all on my Aura, but I keep it in a book-type cover, not a sleeve. I have longish fingernails, too, but I'm reasonably careful with them.

Discuss with the seller, I guess, about the apparent vulnerability; but scratches don't materialise - something has happened to your device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Discuss with the seller, I guess, about the apparent vulnerability; but scratches don't materialise - something has happened to your device.
Have to agree with that, scratches just don't appear for no reason. I know some of the first Auras had a type of scratching visible on the upper part of the screen, more like a faint cross-hatching that was visible, but it doesn't sound at all like that's what you're describing.

Do you have any pets? Kids? Live with anyone at all? Anyone who might have just looked at it out of curiousity and accidentally damaged the screen using a sharp object on it rather than just their finger? Or banged their rings against the glass?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Had mine for over a year and I don't have a single scratch on it.
Scratches don't come out of nowhere so if you have them it must be that the screen has been rubbing on something fairly hard. I don't know what though and it's up to you to find out.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
no scratches on my Aura (nor on my Mini) either - for both, though, I use a book-like cover (thin sleep cover for the Aura).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
AbPho
Connoisseur
AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.AbPho has met Morla.

Device: AuraHD, GloHD
That sucks. My touch got scratched on the second day of owning it. Have a case for both my units how.

How callused/rough are your finger tips? I'm worried that that would be a potential problem with me given the soft screen on the eReaders.

Checking the inside of the case is a good idea. Mine has these huge product tags. Cutting them off is going to be a little difficult. If I don't get them all the way to the stitching then the cut edge might end up being a problem.
AbPho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
U2Bono269
Connoisseur

Yes, I have a toddler and a cat...which is why I keep my ereaders safely put away. Once it's put away in the case, it goes away in my bag for work.

I never had this problem with either of my e-ink Nooks. I never kept them in a case and never had a single scratch in 4 years.

There's nothing in the sleeve, it's clean and the lining feels soft. I wonder if it's the level screen. Maybe the way I typically handle an ereader was ok for a recessed screen, but a problem for the flat bezel? Either way, it shouldn't scratch this easily.

But regardless, I'm going to call them this morning. I'm not expecting them to do anything about it, but it can't hurt to try. I didn't mention it before, but I've been having swipe problems too...I swipe the screen to turn the page and half of the time, the pages go backwards. We'll see what they say.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Bono269 View Post
But regardless, I'm going to call them this morning. I'm not expecting them to do anything about it, but it can't hurt to try.
Remember it's a holiday today in North America, Labour Day, so support might be less than usual.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
U2Bono269
Connoisseur

Thanks. I forgot Canada celebrates Labor Day too.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I've had my aura for nearly a year now. For the first 3 months it was without any cover at all, since then with a cheap book type cover, but the screen is as scratch free as when I bought it.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Actually, after looking at my ereader closely, I do have a few scratches on the screen. But it's not something I would (and indeed, I haven't until now) notice while reading.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
U2Bono269
Connoisseur

Well, thinking that I wouldn't get them on a holiday, I sent them an email. They called me within 5 minutes, which is pretty cool.

The person on the phone was understanding and seemed perplexed by the scratches and pinpricks. We did (another) factory reset, but it didn't do anything regarding the page-turn issue. They asked for a bunch of photos. I'm attaching the photos of the scratches to this post.

Not all of them are visible in the photo. Some just wouldn't show when I took the pictures.

However, when I turned it off and the screen turned black, I actually found more scratches that I hadn't seen before. The bottom has whole sections of little scuffs. I either have a defective screen or its just not very durable.

Either way, I'm regretting my purchase right now. I will either be stuck with a scratched device that will probably continue to get worse, or if I'm lucky enough to get a new one, who's to say it won't happen again?