Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Refurbished Kindle: $99

An article on CNet News this morning:

Refurb Kindle drops to $99, new model coming?

Quote:
Amazon has quietly dropped the price for its refurbished Kindles, with the WiFi-only, ad-free Kindle now at $99 while the 3G ad-free version is down to $129.99.

Big deal, you say. The WiFi-only Kindle with Special Offers is $114. But as the blog Beyond Black Friday points out, the last time Amazon dropped the price on the refurbished versions of its e-readers the Kindle 3 (the current model) arrived soon afterwards in late August. To put it more bluntly, Amazon appears to be clearing inventory in advance of a launch.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
It does sound like Amazon will be releasing a new version pretty soon. However, if you are not holding out for a tablet, or really want a touch screen, then a $99 Kindle might just be perfect.

Personally I'd like a thin color 10"+ tablet even if it is LCD based, but not for reading books. I'd like it for movies, games, internet access, and maybe reading magazines. For books, I'd still prefer eInk. I also like buttons for reading books, while I'd want a touch screen for a tablet.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Those are great prices.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I can't find where they are actually for sale.... would like to pick up some gifts.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Great prices, but I don't see the reason why it is available for US only...Maybe there's a good reason, but sometimes it seems they just "forget" about the "rest of the world".
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
I can't find where they are actually for sale.... would like to pick up some gifts.
Here's the link.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I plan to wait and see what's in the pipeline. The ol' K2 is still doing fine for me.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
Or perhaps other countries need to make selling books slightly less difficult than to get a license to perform brain surgery. Kidding aside before the internet existed did you complain that stores in other countries sold things nowhere but in that country? The web as not changed the reasons those situation existed but rather brought them under a more obvious light. If you have complaints complain to your lawmakers which have protectionist laws on the books. Or just accept what those laws provide that other countries don't have.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are some refurbished models in the UK store too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002Y27P46/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002LVUWFE/

£79.99 for the Wifi model and £115.99 for the 3G model. (No advertising supported models in the UK yet).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Or perhaps other countries need to make selling books slightly less difficult than to get a license to perform brain surgery. Kidding aside before the internet existed did you complain that stores in other countries sold things nowhere but in that country? The web as not changed the reasons those situation existed but rather brought them under a more obvious light. If you have complaints complain to your lawmakers which have protectionist laws on the books. Or just accept what those laws provide that other countries don't have.
Uhh, I don't think she was complaining about the availability in any specific country. I think she just wanted the link to $99 Kindles.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Oh, I see, Papi was complaining about foreign availability.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Yes I think it was a reply to my post, though I don't really see what the French law on book pricing has to do with what I said. I was complaining about the fact that the refurbished Kindle 3G aren't sold in France. The Kindle 3G IS sold in France, through amazon.com. Now maybe they only have "US" refurbished Kindle 3G (I don't remember if Kindle 3G has anything specific other than the SIM card), maybe there's a law I don't know that prevents Amazon to sell refurbished items outside US, maybe Bezos's daughter was kidnapped and she will be forced to read books on a Sony PRS-600 if amazon sells this item to me...As I said maybe there's a good reason I'm not aware of for them not to sell refurbished Kindle 3G outside USA, but it just seems to me they forgot or don't care. I emailed them, I got a very polite answer, they told me Warehouse Deals is a subsidiary of amazon.com, and that they ship some items outside USA, but not this one. They offered me 10$ on my next purchase, which is nice, and that's it for me, no big deal.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
From an author's perspective, I hope this is the beginning of the retail season's price wars. Let the buying begin.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Actually, in the days before internet I could order any foreign book that I wanted in my local bookstore. Sure, it could take some weeks before it arrived and I paid the jackpot for them, but it was possible and not difficult.
Now I have to pull some tricks from the hat to be able to by a e-book. A lot more hassle while it should be a lot easier. The cause? Plain old greed to have the rights sold to as many separate countries as possible.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote