Connoisseur
bjrnfrdnnd began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360˚
prs 650 notes annotation export pdf

Hi there,

I tried to put all the worlds in the title that seem to narrow down
my question.

I have read several threads about the note taking feature of the prs-650,
but I still do not know whether or not annotations written on a pdf can be properly exported.
Here, properly means: I can export the pdf, and then read the pdf with
adobe reader, and I will be able to read and edit all the annotations I have written on the device.

Does anyone know whether or not something like this is possible, or what workarounds do exist that would come close to this utopia?
bjrnfrdnnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
ifnotnowwhen
ifnotnowwhen began at the beginning.

Device: prs6520
i am very much wondering the same thing. How is exporting notes with the PRS650? Can we export handwritten notes as a new PDF?
ifnotnowwhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
PDFsPlease
PDFsPlease began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The short answer is no. You can't export the handwritting on the pdfs. When you view your annotations in the Sony reader desktop software, your just see a tiny little thumbnail of what the annotations look like, without the actual text behind it.

I've heard that the annotations are stored as simple SVGs, which can be extracted and viewed. But I don't know of anyone who has managed to re-align the annotations over the text.

One thing you can do is export the annotated text snippets (either highlighted regions or text regions touched by handwritting). This is pretty useful to build small summaries of pdfs. However, the device seems to have a hard time recognizing spaces in PDFs and the exported text is often missing spaces (all words concatenated together).

I have to say though, overall I do like the device for reading pdfs. It has a number of modes for reading single and double (and triple but I haven't tried that yet) column pdfs. You just have to make sure you have the device around if you want to view your annotations.
PDFsPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
beefamato
beefamato began at the beginning.

How do you "export the annotated text snippets"? I would love this. Can you do it for epubs? Thanks.
beefamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefamato View Post
How do you "export the annotated text snippets"? I would love this. Can you do it for epubs? Thanks.
When you open your book in the sony library, you can click on an icon on the bottom to export the annotations to RTF. You can easily convert RTF to PDF.
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
beefamato
beefamato began at the beginning.

Awesome! Thanks.
beefamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
I think definetely the notes are an improvement point Sony should consider in the next model/firmware.

in particular, I would like
1) have the possibility to export all the notes without the data and metadata, but as an organic synthesis
2) have an hardware button to switch the text, note from note.
3) easily portability for the back up
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
varlokkur
varlokkur began at the beginning.

Device: none
What about highlighted text in PDFs?

For those with Sony Readers, how does the desktop software handle the display (or lack thereof) of highlighted passages in PDFs? E.g., if I highlight a sentence in the PDF on my Reader, will I be able to see the highlight when I open the file in the Library software?
varlokkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlokkur View Post
For those with Sony Readers, how does the desktop software handle the display (or lack thereof) of highlighted passages in PDFs? E.g., if I highlight a sentence in the PDF on my Reader, will I be able to see the highlight when I open the file in the Library software?
Yes, you can see the highlights when you open the file in the Reader Library software. You can even make highlights on another ereader or on your computer and have them all match if you "sync" your files between your ereader & computer and also turn on the setting to "merge" notes. I do that with my 350 & 950.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote