Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-06-2019, 12:45 AM   #16
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I used to have that issue but I found a way around it.

1.) Commit to one session to really load all the sideloaded books you think you are going to want for the foreseeable future.

2.) Use Calibre to load no more than 3-5 books at a time recursively

3.) eject the device with Calibre instead of Windows

Sometimes when you eject with windows it just corrupts the books. I can still download news , on the weekend, with Calibre , like Reuters but the trick is not to keep sideloading stuff all the time as that increases the probability stuff is not going to be corrupt.

It's actually not that easy for me to corrupt the books on my device now. If I am rooting the device and doing that kind of stuff it is actually easier for me to corrupt the preloaded books.
Oh, yeah, one thing, you might have to eject the device with both calibre and windows -- but I am not sure because I don't have the GL3 , anymore, but a nook glowlight plus 2.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:50 AM   #17
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I bricked an ngl3 doing that. I installed both relaunch and nova launcher. It seemed ok. Then I deleted novolauncher and it went into a bootloop.forever. I would.suggest not installing an installing an alternate launcher. You could just install an ereader app. If you use alreader, I think it can almost behave like a launcher. Anyway, good luck...the ngl3 is fragile.

Shame they didn't just install the nook st os on it.
You might still be able to get an adb root shell in the bootloop so if you get root and did these commands :

1.) adb shell

2.) su

3.) wipe data

4.) exit

5.) exit

6.) adb reboot

That might unbrick it
Old 07-06-2019, 12:52 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Oh, yeah, one thing, you might have to eject the device with both calibre and windows -- but I am not sure because I don't have the GL3 , anymore, but a nook glowlight plus 2.
Are all these instructions also valid for the Glowlight Plus 2? Or you don't have to be so strict with it?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:01 AM   #19
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Quote:
You might still be able to get an adb root shell in the bootloop so if you get root and did these commands :

1.) adb shell

2.) su

3.) wipe data

4.) exit

5.) exit

6.) adb reboot

That might unbrick it

The reasoning for that is sometimes a bootloop is not a real bootloop but just the default system boot wallpaper or system image making it appear so.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:06 AM   #20
Raphi'Elohim
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Are all these instructions also valid for the Glowlight Plus 2? Or you don't have to be so strict with it?
It might be the opposite but I gave my GL3 away to a relative so I can't remember. I remember ejecting the newer device once from calibre and once from windows but that may not be necessary as ejecting it just from windows might work but I am not trying that because I already have it setup the way I want. Even so, it can't hurt to treat your GL3 the sameway as being more cautious can only help.

One thing I notice, though, is that while communicating with the new rooted device, after I am done, when I close adb and fastboot , it does not really close so I can't eject my device with windows. Therefore I have to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then manually kill adb and then eject the device from windows if I don't want the books to get corrupted. Sometimes , if I am not cautious, like this, the device gets so corrupted a factory reset is necessary.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-06-2019 at 01:08 AM.