Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Joined Nook crowd

Hi there,
Surprise early birthday present today from my wife — a Nook WiFi. Pretty need, using Calibre right now to copy my epub books over to the device. Also want to try moving over my eReader.com library.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Ooh, congrats on the new toy!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
My wife gave me a Nook Wi Fi as well (though I bought it). My birthday's not until next Wednesday, however, and I'm trying to keep myself from opening the package until then.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Andy, you're better than me. I didn't wait. Works well. Easily copied over the epub files and eReader pdb files from eReader.com & Fictionwise. I bought most of the ebooks when I still used a Palm OS device so it's nice to have my 'library' of books back! Plus there are a bunch I still haven't read!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
My other-half saw how much I was lusting after the new Nook, and ordered one for me on Monday as an "early birthday present."

I have to admit, I haven't been this stoked about a birthday gift in quite a while.

My actual birthday isn't until August, so there is no way I'm going to wait, I'm opening that sucker the day it arrives!
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
Congrats, Ryan! Another happy new Nook owner here . And Andy and Thomas - can't wait to hear how you like yours!

I had mine out at lunch during a regional office meeting yesterday, and I think I made about 4 people want one. I ended up having to share for a few minutes instead of reading a few more pages like I'd wanted.
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
RyanMWilliams
Author

I've been very happy with the Nook. The touch screen navigation seems fine. I've enjoyed reading on it. I haven't had any problem connecting via wifi. I would like some sort of ability to flag books as I read them and filter the list read/not read but that isn't a big deal, just thought it'd be nice.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Congrats! I just got mine this week too and am loving it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're having my official birthday celebration on Monday when we meet our daughter for lunch. So that means I get to open my Nook early (so I don't have to wait until Wednesday)! I already have a my eye on over a dozen free books I want to load up, including several classics I haven't read in years (Verne, Wells, Doyle).
Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
My B-day is Dec. 28th so I'm thinking "why wait, close enough". My son and his wife have Nooks and I wanted to start lending books with them.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
I got mine yesterday evening (our mail man doesn't get here until around 6pm).
I used it to finish reading a book I was reading on my Nokia, then started a new one, and finished that this evening (only 245 pages). I love reading on it, I don't understand why some people complain about the contrast. I was even reading it outside as the clouds came up, and the sun went down, with not that much light left, and I had no problem reading it in bed with just a dim lamp on the nightstand. I went to B&N today, and read (for free) about 90 pages of the latest Pendergast novel, before the other-half declared it was time to leave.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
AndyfromVA
Zealot

I opened up my Nook today. I found the setup a bit confusing but I managed to load 4 Epub library books and over 20 additional books, mostly mystery and science fiction. I'm quite pleased so far. Page turning is very quick - I really like the sweep method. Contrast is outstanding with the helvetica font. The touchscreen control panel is a little fiddly but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I bought the Dillane Plaid cover which is very classy.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
RyanMWilliams
Author

I liked the swipe/flick for turning the pages. I haven't had any real issue with the touchscreen at all. I would like a bit more organizational control than just sorting author/title/recent but it works fine. Mostly I've been reading Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter and I one of my own books — Dark Matters — to refer to now and then as I've started writing another Brock Marsden SF thriller and sometimes check back on details. I've used the search for that which worked well enough.