Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ebooks at CES

CES is coming up, so I've been researching exhibitors. I'm now up to 64 booths I want to visit, and I thought my notebook would make a couple interesting posts. This is part one.

Asus
Let's start with the biggie. Asus is exhibiting, and will also have a press conference on Tuesday the 5th. Asus probably won't announce an ebook reader, but I'm hoping that they will announce the rumored dual screen tablet.

Easypress Technologies

This company is fairly low on my list because I'm already familiar with it. It's a UK based software developer whose main product is an Epub conversion service. But if Adobe is on your list, you might want to stop by this booth.

iriver
Because it's the flagship product, the iriver story will almost certainly be on display. Iriver only recently registered for CES 2010. When I last checked (about 3 weeks ago), iriver wasn't listed as an exhibitor.

Brother
This is another late registrant, and I'm still waiting to hear back on whether they'll bring the SV-100B Document Viewer. Update: At this time, only the sewing machine division is exhibiting at CES.

Samsung
Four different divisions of Samsung are listed as exhibitors, and there is a press conference on Tuesday. I've already asked the Samsung PR people about the liseuses Samsung is selling in Korea; no word yet on whether they'll be on display.

Aiptek
This is a Taiwan based company, and it will be displaying their ebook reader, the Story Book in Color. I discovered this company by accident; in describing their ebook reader Aiptek forgot to call it an ebook reader.

Bookeen

Bookeen will be bringing both the Cybook Gen3 and the Cybook Opus. BTW, this company's name is French for "Where's that firmware update you promised?". Seriously, though, I know why it hasn't been released but I'm not allowed to say.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-21-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh man I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to go to CES!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Dual screen Asus tablet!! Now that sounds interesting, probably running Android or some other linux variant I guess.

Asus know how to make cheap quality hardware after years of making motherboards and little PCs, it's could be awesome.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
oh. thanks for sharing! i've always loved CES too.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Plastic Logic will be at CES showing off the Que.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
BTW, this company's name is French for "Where's that firmware update you promised?". Seriously, though, I know why it hasn't been released but I'm not allowed to say.
Can you tell us if the firmware has chance to be released in a foreseeable future?
In other words, can the problem that is blocking release ever be resolved?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Bookeen
Bookeen will be bringing both the Cybook Gen3 and the Cybook Opus. BTW, this company's name is French for "Where's that firmware update you promised?". Seriously, though, I know why it hasn't been released but I'm not allowed to say.
And what does this have to do in a topic about CES ?
Are you working at bookeen, to know whats going on there ? You don't have anymore clue than we do, so don't try to pretend knowing anything. Prove it, or better, tell us.
And you need to take french lessons I would say. Bookeen is more probably a game word with the verb "bouquinner" that means "to read".

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-21-2009 at 03:24 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
...and will you share this piece of information AFTER the release (if it ever is going to happen )
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

I will be at CES! I'd love to met any mobilereaders and cruz all the ebook booths together!
Shall we have a met up?
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Why so touchy? How do you know that Nate doesn't have a clue? Maybe he just signed an NDA? I prefer to take a positive approach as long as possible, and while bookeen abused my trust several times, Nate never did...

Have a great christmas time!

Cheers,

kaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And what does this have to do in a topic about CES ?
Are you working at bookeen, to know whats going on there ? You don't have anymore clue than we do, so don't try to pretend knowing anything. Prove it, or better, tell us.
And you need to take french lessons I would say. Bookeen is more probably a game word with the verb "bouquinner" that means "to read".
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do you know that Nate doesn't have a clue?
How could he have a clue ? All we get when we ask bookeen is a no-answer....

And NDA usualy have a "don't say you know someting" part. So if Nate signed one, he broke it.
Other possibility is that he works for some company related to e-readers and learned someting that way, in that case profesional secrecy should be respected.

So, either he lied, or he told someting he was not allowed to say. That's bad either way.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-21-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
How could he have a clue ? All we get when we ask bookeen is a no-answer....

And NDA usualy have a "don't say you know someting" part. So if Nate signed one, he broke it.
I must disagree on that. Due to the nature of my job, I am dealing with NDA's quite frequently. The ususally forbid to give any details, they do not force you to say nothing at all. Thus Nate could very well be able to say that he knows the reason, without being allowed to say why. This is not lying, but rather teasing...

Well, we either will get to know or not. Either way, let us not fight over something as trivial as Nate being a tease

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
I must disagree on that. Due to the nature of my job, I am dealing with NDA's quite frequently. The ususally forbid to give any details, they do not force you to say nothing at all. Thus Nate could very well be able to say that he knows the reason, without being allowed to say why. This is not lying, but rather teasing...
Teasing ? Admiting he do know someting, which he probably don't, he should know better than doing that, even more when you're a moderator.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Teasing ? Admiting he do know someting, which he probably don't, he should know better than doing that, even more when you're a moderator.
Just curious, but what in particular crawled up your butt that made you so hostile towards Nate? I am not in the fan club or anything, but I'm curious if there is anything worthy of actual hostility.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Just curious, but what in particular crawled up your butt that made you so hostile towards Nate? I am not in the fan club or anything, but I'm curious if there is anything worthy of actual hostility.
Oh, i don't hate Nate. But he said to much, or not enough. He should at least explain how he could have some info when no one else have a clue....
It's just that saying "bwa ha ha, i know someting you don't and i don't want to tell you" is a bit anoying.
Plus he probably don't have a clue about what's going on at bookeen...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-21-2009 at 04:59 AM.