Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
mike pauls
mike pauls began at the beginning.

Device: need to know them all
formatting images for kindle hdx

hello everybody,

i'm just about to (try and) publish and i have only one big problem left. when i started the book, i made all the illustrations 640 wide as recommended. now i see they have a new high-res kindle hdx. i don't know anyone who has one, but on the kindle simulator it makes all my pictures quite small and pushes them to the left of the screen. (they're fine on kindle fire and my ipad)

i know word formats them small, but i have gone through them all and sized them 100% which helped a little. since i can't increase the size any more without ruining the quality, is there any way i can make this work?

many thanks
mike pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Making images look good on all Kindle models is Sisyphean task.

You have two options.
  • Ignore the fact that image is small on HDX. Just center it.
  • Use very high resolution image that look properly on HDX. Rest of Kindle models should donwscale it. In most causes downscaling introduce some blur and decrease quality a little. Obviously that will increase book size.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
mike pauls

dziekuje bardzo, acidweb

i was afraid that would be the case; i'll have to settle for small then.

mike
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
mike pauls

whoops! one problem. is there any way to center images for hdx that doesn't screw them up for other kindles? if there is i haven't found it yet.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike pauls View Post
whoops! one problem. is there any way to center images for hdx that doesn't screw them up for other kindles? if there is i haven't found it yet.
Mike:

How are you centering them? That would help us address what you're doing.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert