Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Any other PW owners finding that they just leave the light dim?

After the initial novelty wore off I'm finding that I frequently find that I'm reading my PW with the light turned down to ~2 from the previous night's reading, not bothering to turn it back up. Initially I'd constantly fiddle with it trying to find just the right light level that increased contrast, but didn't really look lit. Now I just leave it at my night reading level and treat it like an automatic and well distributed night-reading-light.

Anybody else finding themselves doing the same?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
nicepal
nicepal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For me, I am still new to PW, so far only tried either 4 or around 10.
If your average reading environment is about the same, I think is ok to fix at a single setting.
I tried to read at my bedroom with lights off, for me around 14 is pretty nice.
While at room light or coffe shops, somewhere 4 is ok.

Thus if environment lighting difference alot, I think quite difficult to fix at a single setting.
nicepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
It varies a lot, I'm just finding that I don't care to tinker and try to find the "just right" level. I basically use it like my K3, which was good enough in most lighting.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Now that I have got used to it I leave it always on 12 whatever the room lighting. If I have it on too bright I get white spots before my eyes. I liken it to looking at the sun.

It is probably me. My friend is always needing help on her PC (she does terrible things to it!) But I find her screen far too bright and have to turn it down before I attempt to cure any problems she has.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I find that myself adjusting the light a few times a day, as lighting conditions vary. At night in bed, I keep it around 9-10. During the day, indoors, it varies from 12 to around 16. Outside in sunlight, I generally dim the light down all the way, as the light is not noticeable even at 24 under those conditions.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I keep mine at level 22 most of the time and down to 16 in dark rooms.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I change it a lot - usually setting it between 6 and 12.

I wish it had an auto-adjust feature. I'd much prefer to have it just handle it's own settings.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
sl33py
sl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with others

Device: K2i, K3, PW
I leave mine on low (mostly). I don't see much reason to backlight (to 24max) in bright light - i prefer the natural light. Using it like previous Kindles.

Mine is usually 4-5 and left there. I find that works well at night but is pretty much unnoticeable in daylight.
sl33py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Oh no lol At night I have it on 3 but in the day I have it anywhere from 10 to max brightness it really does augment the reading experience.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I tend to settle in with it around 10-12 indoors with the lights on.

If I read in bed (in a totally dark room) I put it on 3-4.

Once it gets really bright I don't necessarily see the need to turn it up bright.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I just got mine 2 days ago, but I'm finding that keeping it on 9 seems to work for me in any lighting
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Yes, basically. I'm finding myself only reading when there is sufficient ambient light or at night in bed with all the lights off. It's been left on about 3 for a while now, which seems to be the best I can do to attempt to balance the color splotches and not hurt my eyes with brightness in the dark.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Same as 7hir7een. At first I was moving it around but found that leaving at my night time viewing level worked just fine during the day.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote