Device: none
TOC page breaks problem

Hi all,
I'm using this

.chapter {
page-break-before: always;
page-break-after: avoid;
}

to make sure new chapters always start at the top of the screen, but the problem is this style also places the TOC entries on individual pages as well. How can I have chapters start on a new page, but keep the TOC as a list?

I've exported from indesign using the kindle mobi exporter and have tagged chapter titles with a TOC style. I'm no html or css expert and have been copying and pasting for the most part and using Calibre to 'tweak' my files.

Thanks!
e_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You can try to use <mbp:pagebreak /> before the title of each chapter while not using the code you posted for the TOC. Put my code in the body of contents, not the TOC.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 10-05-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
e_u
e_u began at the beginning.

I did try that as well actually, and found that the TOC was still being affected by the page breaks tag. It seems that no matter how I use the page break it breaks the TOC as well.
Confused.
Any thoughts on other ways to set up the TOC? Is it best to use a 'book' in indesign that has separate documents for each chapter or section?
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_u View Post
How can I have chapters start on a new page, but keep the TOC as a list?
That's easy: simply use different styles for the chapter headings in the TOC, because the same style that ensures that chapters start on a new page will also display each TOC heading on a separate page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_u View Post
I'm no html or css expert and have been copying and pasting for the most part and using Calibre to 'tweak' my files.
You may want to give Sigil a try; it's much better suited for ePub fine tuning than Calibre. (Use the Kindle Unpack Calibre plug-in to generate an ePub from your Kindle book.)

Also Sigil can automatically generate an HTML TOC for you without these problems, provided your book has an .NCX toc. (If it doesn't, you can generate one with Sigil, too, if you used heading tags (h1..h6) for headings.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
e_u
e_u began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help.

It seems the issue was due to how the kindle plug-in for indesign was tagging the TOC (I suspect), so I did as you suggested and opened an ePub in Sigil for editing, but not before exporting from indesign without a TOC this time. Then in Sigil I just went through and assigned h1 to all the chapter headers, put it back in Calibre and converted to Mobi, making sure that the TOC was set up to use the h1 tags. And all is well.

My work flow for this has been ridiculous. Multiple pieces of software, converting back and forth, and then testing on the kindle app on a phone. Silly amount of steps. But anyway, it works now.
Thanks again!