Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #211
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I would expect that a device with as much language support as this one,
made for Russian schools would certainly support the languages of the old
Soviet client states.

Luck;
Ken
Well, old Soviet Union had no republics with people speaking Arabic language
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #212
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
[QUOTE=LuBiB;1958642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post

Kris, can you post some photos of the book you put on to the jetBook Color and the process of how you did it? I'm interested in trying this.
I downloaded 2 books in Epub and PDF formats from this library website but you need to have your library card and PIN number for it. They have limit 15 books and you can read each books for 14 days. You don't need pay for it.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #213
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Well, old Soviet Union had no republics with people speaking Arabic language
True, but they did have Client States in the mid-east:

http://meria.idc.ac.il/journal/2001/issue1/jv5n1a3.html

Perhaps, if the term had a more exact definition, the Soviet Union's deep
and continuing involvement with a number of mid-eastern states, would not
be technically "Client States", but they certainly had and still maintain a
relationship that mandates some understanding of the languages in that
area of the world.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-13-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #214
enjayes
enjayes doesn't litterenjayes doesn't litter

Device: none
Got mine today

I received my Jetbook colour today (ordered on 3rd night). Thanks LuBib, for a great writeup- that’s what tipped the scales, after literally years of waiting – for Dx price to come down, Onyx vs pocketbook debate to be settled etc. Thanks also to prodigit, pf4mobile, Lefty Right, Ken Maltby for fleshing out details and andyh2000 ,kris777, reading-panda, their take on the device. This is my first e-book reader though I have played with Kindle 2 off and on, so I am no expert. Last two years I have been using Asus MT 101 – I must say it was and is still extremely good for my purposes, but my eyes couldn’t take the strain of reading academic journals for any length of time.
A few observations (some reiterations), more so that in case I have it wrong, somebody will correct me: 1. Annotations despite what the box cover and http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/ say is not possible – not just cursor written notes but also no provision for typed notes in callout boxes. No underlining.
2.The highlighting vanishes from the document once you highlight another area (though stored in a separate text file). So the highlight is not only not stored with the document, it is not reconstructed either.
3. No Browser, WIFI
4. I found reading two column pdf files adequate, though a bit small to fit into screen. Zooming meant navigation across columns and to next page cumbersome – needed to get back to full page mode. Other pdf files I normally read were easy on the eye.
4. I have not been able to successfully use the text search facility: When I open a file, press MENU button, tap on Text Search, type the target word and tap on Find: if target doesn’exist says “ Not found”; but if it exists on the current page or any other, screen just refreshes on to the current page with nothing high-lighted. LuBiB et al Please HELP.
Overall I am optimistic like LuBib.
Cheers
Enjayes
enjayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #215
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Jetbook color - web browser?

I'm interesting in Web Browser: on the following screenshot:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/w/images/...tBookColor.jpg

there is a red "O" in the bootom bar. Is it "Opera Web Browser"? The logo seems to say so...
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #216
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
I'm interesting in Web Browser: on the following screenshot:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/w/images/...tBookColor.jpg

there is a red "O" in the bootom bar. Is it "Opera Web Browser"? The logo seems to say so...
Don't believe anything you see in screenshots - the device as delivered at the moment doesn't have any wifi capability. The box the device is being delivered in also shows a PDF covered with highlights and annotations, none of which is possible (at the moment). So we'll see what web browser it is when we get one - a sticker on the box promises a firmware update on the 1st March and 1st April.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #217
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjayes View Post
3. No ...., WIFI
Hi enjayes

Is the hardware there at least?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #218
netboy
Enthusiast
netboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watch

Device: prs-505, prs-950, irex dr800sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi enjayes

Is the hardware there at least?
There is a wifi switch on the bottom of the jetbook.
netboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #219
enjayes
enjayes doesn't litterenjayes doesn't litter

Device: none
As netboy pointed out , there is a wifi icon to the left of on/off sliding switch. Actually the switch (slide is in centre) and can slide left (to wards wifi icon) when nothing discernible seems to happen, and right towards on/off icon when the unit powers on.
I also noticed in the device info a MAC address, but am confused by a Set Mac button .
Thanks to Lubib's hint got the micro SD card operational.
Cheers
enjayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #220
mexmike
mexmike began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
I have a Jetbook Color and also a Daily Edition PRS-950 so far, I am disappointed with the Jetbook compared to the Sony. I bought the Jetbook so that I could use it for PDF electronic schematics. Not good for that I've discovered.
1)I know the Jetbook is twice the screen size but the Sony is so much faster; about twice as fast to turn pages.
2) The screen is grey almost a cement green like colour. The Sony screen is much lighter, so reading the Jetbbook is more like black text on grey/green compared to black on almost white. This makes reading in poor light a strain.
3)The power switch also has a wireless icon. When pushed to the wireless side nothing happens, and I don't find a web browser anywhere.
4) Nothing happens when I tap Classwork and Homework?
5)The start-up page NOT have the same format as the Jetbook
Color depicted on the webpage...
http://www.jetbookk12.com/jetbookcolor/?refid=29532 with a calendar
and clock etc also described as "The main screen serves as an ID card
for the student displaying a schedule of classes (updated daily via
Wi-Fi)"
6) I tap/double tap books etc and sometimes nothing happens.
7) The pen is very difficult to get out of the case with the included cover fitted and does not appear to drag zoomed views; you have to use the buttons.
8) I believe they should have left the color filter off (forget color), kept the pearl screen white and made input with finger or pen
9) PDF files with hyperlinks do not hyperlink as with the Sony.
10) To go forwards or backwards several pages in a book involve selecting the number of the required page. The Sony allows you to tap and hold and the pages jump giving just enough time to view the pages (like flicking through a real book).
11) Much of the included educational material is in ebook format, which once again is not with hyperlinks or indexed so that tapping will jump to the chapter.

Basically what I'm saying is; if the Jetbook had the same features as the Sony PRS 950 I'd never look back. My Sony has the PRS-Plus firware which is pretty good. I hope Sony make a 9.7 inch touch screen with pearl ink. I will buy one without hesitation.

Sorry Ectaco, but it looks like my Jetbook will gather dust unless some serious firware changes are made. Hopefully the "update the device on March 1st and April 1st" will improve things.
mexmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #221
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmike View Post
I hope Sony make a 9.7 inch touch screen with pearl ink. I will buy one without hesitation.

Me too, but given the price Sony charges for the 950 it would be probably offered for $700 or $800 ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #222
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
I have a Jetbook Color and also a Daily Edition PRS-950 so far, I am disappointed with the Jetbook compared to the Sony. I bought the Jetbook so that I could use it for PDF electronic schematics. Not good for that I've discovered. .
Hi Mexmike

As far as I know the diagrams are B&W
Why did you have to buy JetBook Color then?
You did not say anything about he clarity of the diagrams.
Are they shown much clearer considering the bigger size of the screen?

tks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #223
mrolling123
PhotomanFrank
mrolling123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Jetbook Color

Wow - this sounds soooo cool. And it should save students backs - once publishers move textbooks to electronic form (and bank accounts) once the price gets below $300. I want one now but just can't see spending more than $300 (it is a recession ya know I know there are some of you out there who can drop $500 easily but right now I can't (and I don't think most students can either).
Beautiful e-reader though (drool).
mrolling123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #224
mrolling123
PhotomanFrank
mrolling123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Great ! Sell me yours for $300 then
mrolling123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #225
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
9) PDF files with hyperlinks do not hyperlink as with the Sony.
Ectaco let us know there are going to be 2 major updates available soon!
You must know they kept their word on releasing the jetbook at the appointed date they said, and did not wait before completing their device, in doing so, they addressed the eager ones that really wanted the device,even with some shortcomings.
They did not have to do this; they could decide to release only the finalized version, and have us waiting for another 2-3 more months.

In the mean time, they kept their factory stock low, and got a small budget in from street sales, while they are ironing out the software side of the device, for the users to update (instead of having to update 1000 devices themselves,which would add to labor hours).
This all saves them loads of money, and if you ask me, it's a wise business move!

On the other hand, I've never seen an ectaco device (not my jetbook,nor my jetbook mini), that accepts/recognizes hyperlinks.

The sony device is not perfect neither. I had a PRS-505, and the hyperlinks did work, but only when there where few links in the document.
I made a fully functional bible framework, with thousands of links,and the PRS-505 would not process many of them, even though on the PC, the framework worked flawlessly.

Having hyperlinks is a very nice feat, to skip from TOC to chapter (and back).
And, ofcourse outside hyperlinks are not supported, because there's no browser/internet connection yet.

I just hope they will not abandon the Jetbook Color after these 2 updates!
After all, if they hope to sell additional units, it would be best for them to have at least a 3 years product support (meaning, at least 3 years after releasing their product in the public, providing OS upgrades).

Every OS upgrade,every feat added,could potentially sell one more device,and make all previous buyers only more happy! (especially when firmware upgrades are reversible).

Seeing that they invested a lot of money into building a totally new device from scrap, it would be wise to do it either this way (provide firmware update support for 3 years), or come out with an updated version of the device, with improved hardware, and added feats and functionality.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review