Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #46
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
...hit the icon so you only scroll vertically and not horizontally...
Ok that's really cool. I had no idea what that did.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #47
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, I spent a while just figuring out what all the icons did.

That one was the most useful as I was getting annoyed by accidental horizontal scrolling when trying to change pages.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #48
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciredz View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkWpOV7CHms

Goodreader on the ipad with demonstration of uploading PDFs

Has anyone tried reading pdf version of magazines like Scientific American.
Do you have to scroll too much around pages to view illustrations that
cover two pages and the text around it?
It is a little difficult to read because columns and test flow, but it loads fast and reliable. It impossible to read in full screen but with zoom and panning is posible to read. For me, screen is very little.

Post written with my iPad.

UPDATE: I was talking about Scientific American. Another magazine I've tested is Circuit Cellar, and this works but more slow and one time GoodReader crashed. I prefer my Touchsmart TM2 to read those stuff because screen quality is better and rendering font is better too.

Last edited by rfog; 04-09-2010 at 03:36 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, I spent a while just figuring out what all the icons did.

That one was the most useful as I was getting annoyed by accidental horizontal scrolling when trying to change pages.
Yes, this is also why I disabled the horizontal scroll on my iMac's mighty mouse. My dexterity wasn't good enough to just scroll vertically when that's all I wanted.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #50
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
how do you take transfer your pdf documents onto the ipad for the goodreader to open? sync ? how?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #51
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
how do you take transfer your pdf documents onto the ipad for the goodreader to open? sync ? how?
read the thread. plenty of people have described the methods you can use..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #52
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
anyone have an idea when the app will get annotations. Trying to decide if I should buy the iannotate app.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #53
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
anyone have an idea when the app will get annotations. Trying to decide if I should buy the iannotate app.
don't see any mention of upcoming features on their web site. you might want to contact their support and ask them if it will have features you're interested in

http://www.goodiware.com/goodreader.html
Old 04-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #54
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Yeah, I wish the iAnnotate app (and some others) had free demos you could download.

I'd like to try it, but don't really want to spend the $7 on my girlfriend's iPad, especially since she doesn't seem to care much about annotating--so goodreader is fine for her.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #55
scottjl
Reader of Books

i forgot where i saw it, but there was a review on iAnnotate that was pretty negative. maybe google for it.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #56
adam32525
adam32525 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Does anyone know how to add ghttp support?

it would be nice to launch good reader after viewing your book database from safari, if someone could add an uri that has ghttp instead of http, then it would launch good reader instead of opening the pdf in safari. I did hack this support into resources\content_server\gui.js but for some reason my ipad doesnt pull the web content from there. Any ideas how to add this?
adam32525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #57
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
Just to put my 2 cents in. I have both good reader and iAnnotate. Good reader wins at file sharing hands down. You can access many online storage systems with it like dropbox. However there are no note taking tools in it. It just reads files. iAnnotate is great also. Harder to get files in and out, you have to use a standalone server program on your mac. But it is great for text annotation and highlighting. Combine this with evernote and the iPad is a great mobile research tool.
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #58
stisev
Austrian Economist
stisev began at the beginning.

Device: X51v
I've used every major solution.

Kindle
Sony Reader
Allreader 2.6 (WM6.1)
Stanza (iPhone)
Converting from PDF to RTF, TXT, epub.. everything!

I just bought an iPad + Goodreader.

This is hands down the best solution I've come across so far. The iPad is the perfect reader IMO.
stisev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #59
scottjl
Reader of Books

boy, something I just learned tonight. you can basically download any file you want off the Internet using safari and good reader. go to the file you want to download, even if safari doesn't support it (even better actually), and when it doesn't load go edit the location bar, slip a g in front of the http:// and reload (just hit enter). it will launch GoodReader which will download the file and save it, regardless of format. you can download it out of your iPad using iTunes or goodreader's network access.

if another app has registered to open that file type, just press and hold it in goodreader. you'll get a pop-up menu asking what app to open it in.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 AM   #60
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
boy, something I just learned tonight. you can basically download any file you want off the Internet using safari and good reader. go to the file you want to download, even if safari doesn't support it (even better actually), and when it doesn't load go edit the location bar, slip a g in front of the http:// and reload (just hit enter). it will launch GoodReader which will download the file and save it, regardless of format. you can download it out of your iPad using iTunes or goodreader's network access.

if another app has registered to open that file type, just press and hold it in goodreader. you'll get a pop-up menu asking what app to open it in.
Yeah and you can mail the file by goodreader everywhere you want to, i.e. if you use evernote you can mail it to your evernote email and you can share the file on any other device you have like windows mobile phone, MAC or a windows PC.

Or you can mail your downloaded *.mobi files via iPad to you kindle this is what i did on vacation before the kindle got open internet access.

Goodreader is one of the best apps i know on iphone and iPad
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote