Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I ordered a Blackberry Playbook 16gb from Amazon for $199 (free prime shipping). I read somewhere that you can order them now directly from Blackberry for the same sale prices.
Too bad the OS isn't Android.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #47
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
One of those players may replace my Archos 43it, let us know your impressions after you have some time to play with them. My specific needs are aac+ audio files and bluetooth A2DP for headphones, and of course work better than my 43.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Nope, I have to go through bestbuy.ca and they don't carry it yet.
Oddly the only retailer Samsung Canada authorized the 5" version is Lion's furniture. And the sales person told me they have a low low price of 349 bucks for it
The cheapest I've seen is €209 (which would be around 291 Canadian or 278 American). And that's the 8Gb version. The 16Gb is around €250 (or $350 US)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #49
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
In case someone is interested, you can get the Playbook for $189, w/free shipping, directly from Blackberry, using promo code 09OLTY12. Noticed this on Slickdeals.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #50
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Too bad the OS isn't Android.
I already have an Android device (Samsung Galaxy Tab 7), why would I want another 7" Android device?

I bought the Blackberry Playbook because I'm not closed minded. I own a Windows 7 tablet, Android Tablet, ipad 2, and now a Blackberry Playbook. They each have advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by Noah98; 12-05-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #51
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Not shippable to Canada
You can order from B&H Photo for the same price offer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...655+4291237751

I thought of ordering one but resisted and instead ordered Asus Transformer prime . Eagerly waiting for my 1st Android tablet.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I already have an Android device (Samsung Galaxy Tab 7), why would I want another 7" Android device?

I bought the Blackberry Playbook because I'm not a closed minded fanboy. I own a Windows 7 tablet, Android Tablet, ipad 2, and now a Blackberry Playbook. They each have advantages and disadvantages.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get one. I'm looking for a tablet, not another internet device; and that means access to a large app collection - Android or iOS.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #53
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:

I bought the Blackberry Playbook because I'm not a closed minded fanboy. I own a Windows 7 tablet, Android Tablet, ipad 2, and now a Blackberry Playbook. They each have advantages and disadvantages.
You don't have to be a closed minded fanboy to make bad buying decisions. Playbook was obsolete the minute it was released. Is it a bad device? Not necessarily, but it isn't future proof like some of the other devices.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #54
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
You don't have to be a closed minded fanboy to make bad buying decisions. Playbook was obsolete the minute it was released. Is it a bad device? Not necessarily, but it isn't future proof like some of the other devices.
Why is my buying decision bad? Wouldn't the Playbook compliment my other devices? I like the OS and Web Browser. Also, the 2.0 software Beta is already out with a working Android player.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that Gingerbread tablets are future proof?

I have enough experience with gadgets to know exactly what I am getting, both strengths and weaknesses. Why do people feel the need to be judgmental and critical of the preferences of others? IMHO that is the very definition of being closed minded.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #55
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't get one. I'm looking for a tablet, not another internet device; and that means access to a large app collection - Android or iOS.
Well, hopefully in February the promised software upgrade with the Android app player will be final (the beta is already out).

Truthfully, I'm just buying it as a gadget to play around with. My ipad2 and SGT do everything I need.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #56
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Why is my buying decision bad? Wouldn't the Playbook compliment my other devices? I like the OS and Web Browser. Also, the 2.0 software Beta is already out with a working Android player.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that Gingerbread tablets are future proof?

I have enough experience with gadgets to know exactly what I am getting, both strengths and weaknesses. Why do people feel the need to be judgmental and critical of the preferences of others? IMHO that is the very definition of being closed minded.
Buy what you want. But you obviously are someone who knows their tech. So why waste money on obsolete tech. If you want you have the money to burn & just want t play around with it then that's cool.

I would say that the evidence suggests tha android tablets in general are going to be future proof. Remember the life cycle of electronics in today's world though. A gingerbread tablet has a much better chance of being updated going forward than he Playbook does. Look at the kindle fire, it's all in how they implement the software. Apple devices.....will last even longer because they area designed as such. Yes, a gadget head like me will want o get the latest device, but the iPad 1 is still going strong for my wife.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #57
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Buy what you want. But you obviously are someone who knows their tech. So why waste money on obsolete tech. If you want you have the money to burn & just want t play around with it then that's cool.

I would say that the evidence suggests tha android tablets in general are going to be future proof. Remember the life cycle of electronics in today's world though. A gingerbread tablet has a much better chance of being updated going forward than he Playbook does. Look at the kindle fire, it's all in how they implement the software. Apple devices.....will last even longer because they area designed as such. Yes, a gadget head like me will want o get the latest device, but the iPad 1 is still going strong for my wife.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
I partially understand your point, but honestly most gadgets are out of date a year after release (with the exception of the ipad--I agree that the original still more than holds it's own).

As far as the Playbook goes, I'm not sure why you are so convinced that it is obsolete. The browser is really nice, and flash performance is better than any other tablet that I've ever used (RIM pushed out an update just today that includes flash 11.1). Also, it multitasks really well, and makes a nice media player for local content.

The two biggest issues with the Playbook were price ($499 was ridiculous), and the lack of apps. While the app store has improved quite a bit, it's still lacking. However, the users that have installed the beta report that most of the top android apps are working flawlessly in the Android App player. Also, RIM showed progress just this week on the native email, contacts, and calendar.

Look, I realize that the BP is on life support, but it still has a pulse compared with something like the HP Touchpad (which sold quite well during the fire sale).

Last edited by Noah98; 11-25-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #58
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Most Android tablets are absolutely not future proof, they are throwaway devices just like phones. Most will never be upgraded past their "level" of OS, how many 2.2 devices are going to get 3.x? So far the answer is none unless they were designed to be v3 but had to be released with 2.2 in order to get them on shelves. My Archos 43it certainly isn't going to get Android 3, if it was they would have done it already (and no XDA developer versions are not acceptable as they are not manufacturer releases). I expect that my Acer a500 will be stuck on v3.x forever even though v4 is has recently been released, I hope I will be able to use this but I doubt it.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
And what if it simply meets your needs? 2 Years ago, I bought a new phone. It was a very expensive phone actually (over €200). It's a very nice phone which I can use to make phone calls or make text message. It also has a calender and a calculator. Actually, it has exactly the same things as my very first phone 12 years ago had.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #60
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:

Perhaps this was not a fanboy comment, but rather a reference to the fact that this is a thread with the title Black Friday Sales - Android Devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote