Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Two clips enough?

I visited B&N yesterday specifically to check out the Touch. Nice unit but the page "flips" were hashed with a lot of visual garbage on screen during the change.

My question is about how the cover attaches. Looking at the Touch, there are four indentations on the back for clips to secure the Touch to the cover. All the covers I looked at only used the two left indentations.

Why not all four and are two secure enough in use that four are overkill?

TIA

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
I visited B&N yesterday specifically to check out the Touch. Nice unit but the page "flips" were hashed with a lot of visual garbage on screen during the change.

My question is about how the cover attaches. Looking at the Touch, there are four indentations on the back for clips to secure the Touch to the cover. All the covers I looked at only used the two left indentations.

Why not all four and are two secure enough in use that four are overkill?

TIA

Red
I've been using the Industriell easel cover for 4 weeks now. The two clips have been fine for me. I take the reader in and out of case to read, depending on my mood, and I can answer your question about why not use all four: it would be too difficult to get it in and out. The device snaps in very securely. I assume there are notches on all four corners to accomodate people who want to flip the device around such that the cover opens to the left as would happen in a book printed in the East.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I assume there are notches on all four corners to accomodate people who want to flip the device around such that the cover opens to the left as would happen in a book printed in the East.
It'll also accommodate our friends down under. That way, they can turn the Nook upside down so it's readable and then attach the cover so it opens in traditional western style.

Ain't B&N clever?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
neel2004
neel2004 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I know that this thread is a few days old, but the only two clip issue is one that's making me wait for an aftermarket case that lets the whole reader slip in.

I tried a leather (pleather?) case at the B&N store with one set of clips, and the display reader fell out when I turned the case around. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I would think that they would make cases with all 4 clips (indentations) used. I would sure be angry if my reader broke because of a bad clip design, especially if it was an "official" case.
neel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel2004 View Post
I know that this thread is a few days old, but the only two clip issue is one that's making me wait for an aftermarket case that lets the whole reader slip in.

I tried a leather (pleather?) case at the B&N store with one set of clips, and the display reader fell out when I turned the case around. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I would think that they would make cases with all 4 clips (indentations) used. I would sure be angry if my reader broke because of a bad clip design, especially if it was an "official" case.
I've never had this happen. If you seat the reader properly in the clips, it takes real effort to get the reader back out. I dont know about what happens if you drop it or crash into things as I've not managed either of these things with my Industriell case yet. I will say, however, that I had an M-Edge case for my NookClassic and it was easier for that to fall out of the M-edge while reading than the clips have ever been. Not bashing on M-Edge, as its a great for travel and putting the reader in a bag with alot of other things, but all that hold the reader into it are fabric corner slip-overs.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If it's anything like with the old Nook, if the reader fell out of one of the clip covers I'm pretty sure you did not put it in correctly.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
neel2004
neel2004 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I've never had this happen. If you seat the reader properly in the clips, it takes real effort to get the reader back out. I dont know about what happens if you drop it or crash into things as I've not managed either of these things with my Industriell case yet. I will say, however, that I had an M-Edge case for my NookClassic and it was easier for that to fall out of the M-edge while reading than the clips have ever been. Not bashing on M-Edge, as its a great for travel and putting the reader in a bag with alot of other things, but all that hold the reader into it are fabric corner slip-overs.
Hmm -- I guess I just had a bad experience with it in store, or it was just seated improperly.

I definitely don't want to do an m-edge case -- I don't like the 4 corner retention design. I want to get something like this, but I'm waiting to see if it is magnetic closure or snap closure. I'd prefer magnetic. I'd also like to wait and see if the cheap aftermarket cases start integrating the clips like the cases at B&N.
neel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I used the industriell cover with my nook 1e for over a year. It attached the same way and it never fell out. It's very secure.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Yep - I agree that it was probably seated incorrectly, which is very easy to do until you get the hang of it. When done properly, you can hear the clip snap into place.

Very happy with the case - and I do read quite a bit with it snapped out of the case so having to only do the two clips works well for me.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've never had a problem with any of my clip-based cases for the 1st gen nook or the nook touch.
As for the notion of using all 4 clip points to attach, I think it would probably be unnecessary and might be kind of a pain to attach and detatch. I suspect, in fact, that the extra slots are present so a leftie (or whoever) could flip the case around and have it open the other way, if they want.
In fact, I just tried this out and I kind of like it better than the traditional way. I'm not a leftie for writing, but I do find books more comfortable to hold in my left hand. Hm.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote