Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Same books, different formats, different prices. Why?

Wonder if anyone can explain this to me:

On recommendation here, I decided to read Margaret Atwood's *Oryx and Crake* before the recent follow-up *Year of the Flood*. So I downloaded it for just under ten dollars from eBookMall.

Being a bit dim, I downloaded the MobiPocket version that won't work on my PRS-505. EBookMall was polite, attentive and understanding. Three days after I asked them what I should do, they refunded my payment via PayPal and suggested I go for the Adobe version.

Now, can anyone tell me why the PDF of this book should cost five bucks more than the MobiPocket version?

Nonsense or wot!? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Wonder if anyone can explain this to me:

On recommendation here, I decided to read Margaret Atwood's *Oryx and Crake* before the recent follow-up *Year of the Flood*. So I downloaded it for just under ten dollars from eBookMall.

Being a bit dim, I downloaded the MobiPocket version that won't work on my PRS-505. EBookMall was polite, attentive and understanding. Three days after I asked them what I should do, they refunded my payment via PayPal and suggested I go for the Adobe version.

Now, can anyone tell me why the PDF of this book should cost five bucks more than the MobiPocket version?

Nonsense or wot!? Neil
In this case it really doesn't make sense. Anyway, just shows you that DRM removal and conversion to a different format are what helps us to beat them at those silly games. I believe we should pay for the books, but we have a right to get the cheapest version and convert them for our own personal use. I strongly suggest you look into it, surprised you haven't done it yet. In your case it is even more important, since MOBI converted to LRF or EPub will look a lot better than PDF on the Sony.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
We have found with our suppliers that quite often, you may have small price differentiations on formats as the retailer pays for the cost of the drm on top of the cost of the book. The difference is small though.
Thats the only reason I can think of for them to be priced differently.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
That explains the 50 cents difference you have at Fictionwise (ereader being cheaper than the rest), but not 5 USD.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Plus 50% of a difference, DirectEbooks? I think not. But thanks for the comment. This is about selling machinery and formats, not about selling books honestly. But, I must say, EBookMall does seem to play from a square bat if you point out a hitch. Although I was disappointed that I couldn't read the book I bought, I was delighted by the person-to-person contact. Rare, eh? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
A similar price discrepancy occurs with Kindle books. Topaz editions typically sell for less than the .azw versions - of the same title.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Welcome to the wonderful world of ebooks - where different formats may be sourced from different vendors - and so priced differently.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The format thing is a bit bizarre imo. I can understand the publishers having different fees attached to ebooks because they are out of whack, but when they attached additional fees to different formats it just seems silly.

But yes, this is why we remove DRM and use different formats. Sigh* Hopefully they will get their acts together and offer different useful formats for the same price in the future.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote