Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I have apt-get working

I got my debian bootstrap to the point where it can now apt-get.

Life is on easy streets now boys.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Congrats Scotty!

Do you mind posting a step by step instruction how you did it?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
on the same token, I think everybody has noticed that wget is available in the iLiad default OS.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Yes but wget doesn't do dependency trees and pull all the goodies for you, apt-get does.

The thing that makes me hesitant about documenting apt-get is that if you don't set up the memory card... you'll fill your root filesystem faster than you can say "oh no!" doing something like "apt-get emacs".
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
thijso
thijso began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex iLiad book ed, Onyx Boox M92
Wow.. old post...

I am *really* interested to know what became of this. Do I understand correctly that you got a system working where you could just apt-get install stuff on the iliad, scotty1024?

I have seen teasers scattered all over the place about a running emacs on iliad, and here a working apt-get. Anybody have more info about this?

Currently my interest is in getting perl running on the iliad (and maybe a common lisp implementation, just for fun , and being able to just do apt-get install perl would be great. But also a real bash shell, and a ton of other apps that are available to debian at the moment already.
thijso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by thijso View Post
I am *really* interested to know what became of this. Do I understand correctly that you got a system working where you could just apt-get install stuff on the iliad, scotty1024?
Creating a debian chroot in any ARM device is really simple. You only have to create a tarball of the filesystem of another ARM device (nslu2 with Debian ARM installed, i.e.) and put that in a CF os SD card. Then chroot to it and it's done.

If you don't have a Debian ARM device liying somewhere in your house, you have to create a debian chroot using debootstrap. Take care that you want to select the arm architecture, not the newer armel one (it requires a somwhat recent 2.6 kernel to work, and the iliad still uses a 2.4 kernel).

A third alternative is using the zaurus-debian-*.tgz from http://pocketworkstation.org/, but it is a rather old debian (woody? sarge?), and you would have to fix /etc/apt/sources.list and dist-upgrade to the latest.

Note: I myself have a slug with debian etch, and a zaurus with debian in a chroot, but it is a very "dirty" installation and not very reasonable to distribute :-/.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
thijso
thijso began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex iLiad book ed, Onyx Boox M92
Hmmm, thanks for that info Antartica. That sounds a lot easier than I thought. But I was under the impression that Scotty had it running more or less in or next to the root install on the iliad. Your explanation sounds a lot more sane.

And as I've done quite a few debootstraps on other machines I should be able to get somewhere... Thanks!
thijso is offline   Reply With Quote