Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the KindleDX be the best for viewing manga/comics?
Absolutely! 11 31.43%
No, it will only be average. 5 14.29%
Too early to tell. 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Ryuujin27
Ryuujin27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
KindleDX will become the new top choice for manga and comics?

If you look at all the features compared to other top ebook readers out there right now, it seems like the KindleDX will become the best choice for those who want to read manga and comics. A bigger screen, a support of many different kinds of formats, and the ability to rotate if you wish to view it long ways.

It seems like they also say JPGs, GIFs, etc are acceptable through conversion, which I am hoping means you can take a folder of images, convert them, and be able to view the folder as a book/volume.

But anyway, what does everyone else think? Best to wait for the DX for manga and comic viewing or just go with the Sony PRS-505 or something similar?

*EDIT*

Please post comments as well!

Last edited by Ryuujin27; 05-08-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Addition
Ryuujin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There are two reason I think it won't work for manga and comics,

1) Cost
2) No colour
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Ryuujin27

Well, I can see why that is true for DC, Marvel, etc. However, for any form of Japanese, or even Korean, comics, there is no color there to begin with (except on special edition pages, and those are really just bonuses). So what would stop the DX from displaying these pages far better than, say, the PRS-505 could?

*P.S. - The PRS-505 comment is not a shot against your device, it happens to be the device I will buy if the DX turns out not to be worth it.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I've read manga on my Kindle 2 before, and it's actually not too bad (keep in mind that Manga is generally published in shorter paperback-sized books anyway).

I agree with Wario that American comics are going to be a tough sell without color. The style these days is to make the comics as dark as possible, which doesn't translate well to grayscale.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Ryuujin27

Yes, I would agree with you there. However, for me that doesn't matter so much as I don't really read much in English anymore. So most of my comics will be manga.
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
American style comics might not be bad at all. 16 shades of gray is pretty good as long as the screen is the right size. I'd prefer to read them in color, but I wouldn't mind having them in grayscale.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
American style comics might not be bad at all. 16 shades of gray is pretty good as long as the screen is the right size. I'd prefer to read them in color, but I wouldn't mind having them in grayscale.
I disagree. I think color adds a lot to the comics and you would lose a lot of that in the conversion to greyscale. It would probably be as readable, but not as enjoyable.

It's like watching The Matrix on a black & white TV. I'm sure you could do it, but wouldn't you lose a lot, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujin27 View Post
Yes, I would agree with you there. However, for me that doesn't matter so much as I don't really read much in English anymore. So most of my comics will be manga.
Will your primary purpose for buying an ebook reader be for Manga? If so, I would hold out for the Kindle DX. But, if you think you would use it more as a book reader and sometimes read manga, the Kindle 2 isn't so bad. You can either read it full screen or you cann pan and scan if you like your text bigger.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I think it adds a lot, but I'd be okay with it in a "look, I actually get to read comics because I can sneak one in when I have a few minutes here and there" sorta way. It's like reading magazines or newspapers for me - on my Kindle i actually get to do it because I have a few minutes here and there away from home and have it with me. When I get paper editions they just stack up... likewise with comics.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Adultswim's support of Anime seems to be waning these days, so maybe I should just start reading manga to get my fix. What are some good sites for getting manga? (I like Bleach.)
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
emmerich
emmerich began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
Black and white digital editions would be great for the classic comics that Marvel was reprinting in the thick, black and white Essential collections. Older comics in general tend to look better in black and white, and there's lots of indie comics that are produced without color as well...
emmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast
Satans Puppet doesn't litterSatans Puppet doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PR(whusit)505
Maybe when the Kindle features a colour screen. I think it'd be a good way for the older reader of comics to get back into them if they had the ease of downloading titles through the kindle network.

It's the right kinda size but without colour it does nothing for me... I needs me colour and for it to launch with Graphic Novels from the outset

Oh and being released in the UK would be nifty too
Satans Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The KDX, or really any Reader with PVI's 9.7" screen, will likely be the best option when it is released, but there will be better alternatives within a year. Color EInk is one possibility, but more likely in the short term is better LCD technology. For example the Astak Spectrum probably uses the Pixel Qi 10" color LCD screen and will likely be available early next year if not sooner. Screen technology often gets behind schedule (the 9.7" screen has been promised since the Kindle 1 came out), but the Pixel Qi screen seems real (no samples yet though).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I was at the library recently and was flipping through their comic collections. A goodly number were black and white reprints of color books, it honestly didn't make that much difference. I think they'd look okay on the DX too.

Edit: pretty much as emmerich says above.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #14
Ryuujin27

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post

Will your primary purpose for buying an ebook reader be for Manga? If so, I would hold out for the Kindle DX. But, if you think you would use it more as a book reader and sometimes read manga, the Kindle 2 isn't so bad. You can either read it full screen or you cann pan and scan if you like your text bigger.
Hmm, that's a good question. I just started a shonen, which I believe just released the 53rd volume the other week, so I will probably be reading a lot of manga on it. However, I will also be reading, hmm... in Japanese it's called shousetsu, but generally it means that the book size is MUCH smaller than an american version. For example, they can fit easily in your pockets, ideal for travel. Would the bigger screen perhaps mess this up, as it would stretch them? The screen is definitely bigger than the book itself, as they are generally 15x11 cm.

Also, how would i format the manga the best? I currently have them as a series of jpegs, but i could probably zip then change to a cbz or something. Anyone know? I want them to be the best quality possible.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujin27 View Post
Also, how would i format the manga the best? I currently have them as a series of jpegs, but i could probably zip then change to a cbz or something. Anyone know? I want them to be the best quality possible.
I highly recommend an app called "Mangle" (Kindle + Manga). You can do a search on the forums here for it. It's very good and resizes the manga to fit on your kindle screen.