Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
jb99
jb99 began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Mobi files with Calibre and prs505

Hi,

I understand (I think!) that Calibre will convert "mobi" files.... My problem is that if I go to buy one of these formats, it asks for my "PID", for DRM purposes I assume. Since I am using a prs505, it has no PID.

Does that mean these files are unusuable with the prs505 unless someone with a valid mobile reader converts them for me?

Thanks, I have searched around but can't figure this out, already having bought about $10 of books that haven't worked so far. (DRM pdf and .lit both apparently requiring windows to download which I do not have... and was not made aware of until after my purchase.)
jb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre can import and convert DRM-free MOBI ebooks. If a MOBI has DRM, this must first be removed using mobidedrm (note that this may not be legal where you live). As you say, a DRMed MOBI contains at least one PID and you need the PID to download the file and to strip the DRM. If you have a Windows PC, use the PID from Windows MobiPocket Reader. If you don't have a Windows PC, then borrow one just long enough to copy down its PID from Windows MobiPocket Reader (look under "Reading devices").

Once you have a PID, DRMed MOBI ebooks can be purchased and downloaded from any web browser.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb99 View Post
already having bought about $10 of books that haven't worked so far. (DRM pdf and .lit both apparently requiring windows to download which I do not have... and was not made aware of until after my purchase.)
DRMed LIT requires Windows to download. DRMed Adobe PDF or ePub requires Windows or Mac to download. If you use a Mac, you have to first authorize your PRS-505 on your Adobe account using a Windows PC (a one time process).
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
jb99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
DRMed LIT requires Windows to download. DRMed Adobe PDF or ePub requires Windows or Mac to download. If you use a Mac, you have to first authorize your PRS-505 on your Adobe account using a Windows PC (a one time process).
Hey, Thanks for the info. I'm running linux... I didn't even bother downloading the Acrobat reader 8 for linux to see if it would work with the PDF I had, didn't seem worth the hassle.

Am I correct then, that once I get a PID I don't ever need the windows reader again? (I can just use mobidedrm with the PID I used to download the books to strip the drm?)

Sounds like the mobi format is the best for me to use in that case.

Thanks again, appreciate it. All this DRM is hard on the head.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Am I correct then, that once I get a PID I don't ever need the windows reader again? (I can just use mobidedrm with the PID I used to download the books to strip the drm?)
And you don't actually even need to use the Windows Mobipocket reader to get a PID -- if you're getting mobidedrm.py anyway, you can look at the algorithm it uses and figure out how to generate your own valid PID.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
jb99

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
And you don't actually even need to use the Windows Mobipocket reader to get a PID -- if you're getting mobidedrm.py anyway, you can look at the algorithm it uses and figure out how to generate your own valid PID.
Even better.

Thanks for the help folks! Bought one of these for my gf the other day and she's been nothing but frustrated trying to get some books (non-sony bookstore) onto it. This helps immensely.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Yes. In fact, as llasram said, you can probably make up your own PID if finding a Windows PC to download Windows MobiPocket Reader on is difficult. I suggest searching the Desktop Reader forum at MobiPocket for "PID", they are sometimes included in forum posts.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. In fact, as llasram said, you can probably make up your own PID if finding a Windows PC to download Windows MobiPocket Reader on is difficult. I suggest searching the Desktop Reader forum at MobiPocket for "PID", they are sometimes included in forum posts.
Sounds like we need a PID generator tool.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
kindlepid.py can be used to generate a valid Mobipocket PID. Just use any string as input and replace * with $ in output.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
kindlepid.py can be used to generate a valid Mobipocket PID. Just use any string as input and replace * with $ in output.
Capital!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote