Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 10.3 officially released

Apple has officially released iOS 10.3.

They also released macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

I'm going to wait a month or so on iOS 10.3. I have no plans to install Sierra at all as I'm happy with El Capitan.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There was a new version of iTunes pushed out a couple of days ago, presumably to support iOS 10.3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There was a new version of iTunes pushed out a couple of days ago, presumably to support iOS 10.3.
Yes indeed. My MacBook Pro asked me to install it, which I did. The next day it asked me to install it again! Which I did. Both had exactly the same version number. I've had this issue a few times in the past where an iTunes update says it installs, but then the App Store keeps yelling for me to install it again. One time I had to install it about 5 times before it finally quit annoying me. This time I only had to install it twice. Go figure...
Old 03-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

My MacBook Pro just updated to Safari 10.1 and installed a security update too. I'm guessing these are related to the Sierra update, even though I still have El Capitan on mine.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have updated my IPhone and IPad to the latest and did not have any issues. Both seem to be working great. I did notice some changes to Settings with a few things moved to different locations. I have not had much time to really look things over but nothing negative to say either.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
File system is changed. Don't upgrade without a backup. Just don't.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
File system is changed. Don't upgrade without a backup. Just don't.
Yes we know. We covered that in another thread.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I know. But this is important enough to repeat.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
My older MacBook Pro is stuck on El Capitan, but just got an update for Safari and iTunes.

I'll probably go ahead with the 10.3 update for my iPad soon enough.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Updated to iOS 10.3. Everything runs about 5 times faster.

Okay so I made that up. But everything is fine as far as I can tell. It did take awhile, at least a half hour. I think there might be an extra Gb or two than before downloading and applying the update (128GB model, about 61GB in use).

Last edited by tomsem; 03-28-2017 at 01:21 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I updated my iPad Mini 2 16 GB to iOS 10.3. I mostly kept it as a backup device and a eBook reader, so I figured it would be a good test device. I didn't time the process as I was doing other stuff, but I estimate that it took about 30 minutes to do the update. So far everything seems to be okay. I'll watch it for the next few days then if it seems okay and no one else is reporting issues on devices similar to mine, I'll update the iPhone 6+ and iPad Pro 9.7.

I checked the internal memory before and after updating:

iOS 10.2
  • 12.24 GB Capacity
  • 3.99 GB Available

iOS 10.3
  • 12.57 GB Capacity
  • 4.59 GB Available

Perhaps the new file system helped the iPad Mini 2 pick up and extra 0.6 GB of memory.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I never seem to be able to resist updating. Updated my iPhone 6 and everything seems to have gone okay.

Storage before update...
121.52 GB capacity
67.83 GB available

Storage after update...
124.07 GB capacity
71.57 GB available
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I updated my iPad Mini 2 16 GB to iOS 10.3. I mostly kept it as a backup device and a eBook reader, so I figured it would be a good test device. I didn't time the process as I was doing other stuff, but I estimate that it took about 30 minutes to do the update. So far everything seems to be okay. I'll watch it for the next few days then if it seems okay and no one else is reporting issues on devices similar to mine, I'll update the iPhone 6+ and iPad Pro 9.7.

I checked the internal memory before and after updating:

iOS 10.2
  • 12.24 GB Capacity
  • 3.99 GB Available

iOS 10.3
  • 12.57 GB Capacity
  • 4.59 GB Available

Perhaps the new file system helped the iPad Mini 2 pick up and extra 0.6 GB of memory.
Updating usually deletes a lot of old cached files.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Updating usually deletes a lot of old cached files.
Although that's true, note the increase in the capacity, not merely the free space. That does suggest that the new file system is using the space more efficiently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

The only issue so far is with the TitanTV app, which is a TV show listing guide, will not load any data on the iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.3. This app is working fine on my iPad Pro and iPhone 6+ which are still running 9.2. Other than that I haven't noticed any other issues. But I haven't had a lot of time to spend with the Mini today.

The iCloud settings have moved. Under settings menu there is a profile setting, and iCloud is now under that menu.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-29-2017 at 10:17 AM.