Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I wonder if an original iPad will fetch anything at all on ebay... doubt it.
I don't see why not. After all, Apple still sells the 2.5-yo iPad 2 for $399. You should be able to get a couple hundred or so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #62
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't see why not. After all, Apple still sells the 2.5-yo iPad 2 for $399. You should be able to get a couple hundred or so.
I dunno, it's 16 G and no 3G. I was thinking of donating it to a special needs kindy or something.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I dunno, it's 16 G and no 3G. I was thinking of donating it to a special needs kindy or something.
The iPad 2 (above) is also 16GB and not 3G.

Donating is always a kind gesture
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #64
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Eh, this is the thread where I wanted to post this:

Speaking of "head to head" comparisons, here is one for iPad mini Retina versus new Nexus 7, proclaiming Nexus 7 to be the overall winner:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/table...t-small-tablet
To be fair the comparison was based on what you would purchase as your first tablet or as a gift to a non-tablet person. Prices in the UK according to the article are apparently higher than US, therefore, a bigger factor in the final decision. Nexus at £189 ($307) or iPad mini at £319 ($515) that's a lot to spend for unknown personal preferences.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I love the look of both the new iPads, we currently have both an iPad 3 and a 2. Hubby won't upgrade though until his 2 (I'm not silly, the 3 is mine!) won't cut it anymore. I'm still on iTunes 10 and iOS 6 as well so it's not an easy upgrade to make this time.

Need to see them both in store first. Yes they are considered purchases and much more expensive than Android devices (and I have one of those) but nothing compares to an iPad, it's the closest thing I have to a PC experience.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I love the look of both the new iPads, we currently have both an iPad 3 and a 2. Hubby won't upgrade though until his 2 (I'm not silly, the 3 is mine!) won't cut it anymore. I'm still on iTunes 10 and iOS 6 as well so it's not an easy upgrade to make this time.
iTunes happily works with old versions of iOS. I'm still running iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, and using the latest version of iTunes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #67
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
iTunes happily works with old versions of iOS. I'm still running iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, and using the latest version of iTunes.
I have over 100 playlists, my only, disasterious, experience of iTunes 11 didn't work with playlists. I was lucky and could roll back, but I'm scared to upgrade again until I know my playlists will be preserved and iTunes 11 actually works nicely with playlists.

My entire iTunes catalogue, music, tv, films and audiobooks is controlled through playlists.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have over 100 playlists, my only, disasterious, experience of iTunes 11 didn't work with playlists. I was lucky and could roll back, but I'm scared to upgrade again until I know my playlists will be preserved and iTunes 11 actually works nicely with playlists.

My entire iTunes catalogue, music, tv, films and audiobooks is controlled through playlists.
They work absolutely fine for me.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They work absolutely fine for me.
Thanks Harry, maybe they've fixed it now. I haven't upgraded to iOS7 for anything yet as you need iTunes 11 for that, I know I'll have to, just putting it off as long as I can. The longer I wait the more fixes they will implenpment and hopefully the less painful the transition will be when I eventually upgrade, which is all tied into buying a new device.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Do you have another PC you could try installing iTunes 11 onto to see if playlists now work for you?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

2012 -- iPad mini vs iPad 4 = $170 price difference

2013 -- iPad mini 2 vs iPad Air = $100 price difference

Kinda looks like the iPhone 5C vs iPhone 5S battle all over again. I wonder if iPad mini 2 sales will drop now off in favor of the full size iPad Air?

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-23-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: meant mini 2 in last sentence
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I wonder if iPad mini sales will drop now off in favor of the full size iPad Air?
I'm sure they will do until the Retina Mini is released, but I suspect that most people buy the Mini based on its size, rather than its price. Apple have never even attempted to be competitive on price; they don't need to be.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm sure they will do until the Retina Mini is released, but I suspect that most people buy the Mini based on its size, rather than its price. Apple have never even attempted to be competitive on price; they don't need to be.
I meant mini 2.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #74
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Just as a general reminder to anyone reading this thread and not bogged down by iTunes-specific playlists:

iTunes is not needed for anything at all in relation to your iDevice in 2013. I haven't touched iTunes since 2011. So, it's definitely possible to upgrade to iOS 7 without bothering to update iTunes. However, iOS 7 is extremely ugly, so that staying with iOS 6 is a legitimate choice.

Quote:
Apple have never even attempted to be competitive on price; they don't need to be.
That's a humorous statement. Apple nearly went bankrupt in the 1990s, employing that strategy. Being overly confident in one's position as a market leader (is Apple even that at this point?) can be dangerous -- ask Nokia these days.

No matter how you slice it, an 8-inch tablet at $400 is horribly expensive. Only future will tell whether Apple can get away with this particular price-point.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
That's a humorous statement. Apple nearly went bankrupt in the 1990s, employing that strategy. Being overly confident in one's position as a market leader (is Apple even that at this point?) can be dangerous -- ask Nokia these days.

No matter how you slice it, an 8-inch tablet at $400 is horribly expensive. Only future will tell whether Apple can get away with this particular price-point.
If you've got $100bn+ in the bank - most of which has come from iPhone and iPad sales - it's a pretty good indication that your sales strategy is being reasonably successful, to my mind. Certainly no company can afford to rest on its laurels, but I don't think Apple have too much reason to change what they are currently doing.