Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #2506
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
Hi knc1, thank you for getting back to me.
1., no I am not subscribed to any special offer;
2. I mean reboot, I know I do not have to reset.
Great tool anyway, I've been looking for it for ages!
Thanks
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #2507
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikii View Post
Hi knc1, thank you for getting back to me.
1., no I am not subscribed to any special offer;
2. I mean reboot, I know I do not have to reset.
Great tool anyway, I've been looking for it for ages!
Thanks
OK - I just wanted to be sure, the two words are very close.

The screensavers should maintain their settings, so something is wrong.

That information is stored on the visible USB storage area where you can check it.
Tell me anything else about what is happening and how you are using this, anything that might help.
I have not heard of the ss losing its settings with a reboot.

Last edited by knc1; 05-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #2508
Mikii

Hi knc1,
I updated the system to 5.6.1.1, re-installed the ScreenSavers Hack using MRPI.
I have been playing with the KUAL's screen saver configuration for a while.

Now everything seems normal, and ScreenSavers's settings do survive a reboot.

Thank you very much for your concerns, everything seems ok now.

The previous problem manifested itself by showing the default kindle random screens upon reboot.

Take care,

Michele
Old 05-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #2509
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quick and dirty patch to kfxmeta.py for "new" kfx files

Last version of this excellent ScreenSavers hack fail to extract a cover from some ebooks in a "new slight variation" of kfx format developed by Amazon from last January.

While waiting for a proper fix by masters @NiLuJe or @jhowell, you can try this quick and dirty patch to file
Code:
src/linkss/bin/kfxmeta.py
:

Code:
$ diff kfxmeta-orig.py kfxmeta.py
264c264,267
<             for value1 in entity_value[b"categorised_metadata"]:
---
>             target = entity_value
>             if entity_value.has_key("type") and entity_value["type"] == b"P2":
>                 target = entity_value["value"]
>             for value1 in target[b"categorised_metadata"]:
It works for all my kfx amazon ebooks ("old" and "new" variations).
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:00 PM   #2510
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiere View Post
Last version of this excellent ScreenSavers hack fail to extract a cover from some ebooks in a "new slight variation" of kfx format developed by Amazon from last January.

While waiting for a proper fix by masters @NiLuJe or @jhowell, you can try this quick and dirty patch to file
Code:
:

Code:
264c264,267
---
>             if entity_value.has_key("type") and entity_value["type"] == b"P2":
Thank you for that.

I do not know when it will get put into the release package, since the maintainer (and author), NiLuJe is away at school.

Since it is a Python script, anyone who types carefully (or knows how to use 'patch') can make the change in their own copy.

The only persons that can change attachments is the post owner or a forum moderator.
In this case, both of those people are: NiLuJe
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #2511
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:

Code:
:

Code:
264c264,267
---
Thanks for this. Some simple ish instructions on how to apply this would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I don't know python at all.

I've opened src/linkss/bin/kfxmeta.py in word pad and fond the below section, however from your post I'm not sure what exactly to change.

Code:
    for entity in container_data:
        entity_type = entity["type"]
        entity_value = entity["value"]

if entity_type == b"metadata":
            for key,value in entity_value.items():
                if key in SYMBOL_TABLE.values():
                    add_metadata(key, value)

elif entity_type == b"book_metadata":
            for value1 in entity_value[b"categorised_metadata"]:
                for meta in value1[b"metadata"]:
                    add_metadata(meta[b"key"], meta[b"value"])

elif entity_type == b"bcRawMedia" and entity_type not in metadata:
            metadata[entity_type] = entity_value    # assume first image is the cover

return metadata
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #2512
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
Thanks for this. Some simple ish instructions on how to apply this would be greatly appreciated.
Un-archive the attachment here to the top of visible USB storage.
Be sure your un-archive tool is set to create the directory structure that is in the archive.

I do not use the ss add-in myself, so I have not tested the change, but the change mentioned above is included in the file of this archive.

The ss release archive has a copy of the original file, if this one does not work for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kfxmeta.zip (6.1 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by knc1; 06-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #2513
knc1
Going Viral

Last edited by knc1; 08-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #2514
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

I wasted a whole lot of time on this today, somebody else had better try the file & directions above and report back.
Cheers knc1, I used the files you created and the screensaver hack is working great again. The covers are showing for all my books again. Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #2515
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
Cheers knc1, I used the files you created and the screensaver hack is working great again. The covers are showing for all my books again. Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!
Thank you for testing.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #2516
Lpchaim
Lpchaim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

I wasted a whole lot of time on this today, somebody else had better try the file & directions above and report back.
Sorry for not reporting earlier knc1, hadn't realized I hadn't turned email notifications on and missed your PM.
Anyway, all books I've tested so far and even those problem ones I reported earlier work just fine now, thank you! You too @nemiere!
Lpchaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #2517
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpchaim View Post
Sorry for not reporting earlier knc1, hadn't realized I hadn't turned email notifications on and missed your PM.
Anyway, all books I've tested so far and even those problem ones I reported earlier work just fine now, thank you! You too @nemiere!
Thank you.

There have been a lot more downloads of the file than reports made;
I guess the "silence is golden" rule applies.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #2518
Mikii

Quote:

Hi knc1,

thank you very much for posting the file and for your time.
I have installed it on my kindle; it works ok, but I did find a book where it does not work.
It is a preview, maybe this is the problem?
anyway, in case someone else wants to give it a try this is the link to the book's page:

https://www.amazon.it/lungo-viaggio-...ing=UTF8&psc=1

since the book and the page are in Italian, to see the preview you need to click o the book cover and then the button to download the free preview is on the left, "Invia estratto ora". I'd be glad if someone else's could give it a try.

MIkii
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #2519
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikii View Post
I have installed it on my kindle; it works ok, but I did find a book where it does not work.
It is a preview, maybe this is the problem?
anyway, in case someone else wants to give it a try this is the link to the book's page:

https://www.amazon.it/lungo-viaggio-...ing=UTF8&psc=1
MIkii, would you mind PM-sending me the metadata.kfx file of this book? You can find it inside folder
Code:
Documents/Long-Name-With-Book-Title-Or-Book-Author.sdr
of your kindle.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #2520
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
MIkii, would you mind PM-sending me the metadata.kfx file of this book? You can find it inside folder
Code:
Documents/Long-Name-With-Book-Title-Or-Book-Author.sdr
of your kindle.
Our PM system does not support attachments.

Since what you are asking for is a 'free' sample, I suspect that it would be alright to attach to one of the posts here.

What has been done in the past to use the posts in this forum for controlled distribution -
Put file into password protected archive, attach archive here, exchange password via our PM system.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch