Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo to Calibre, how?

Hi,

How do I get books I have in my Kobo to my Calibre library? If I select the Book in device on Calibre and select add book, it adds the book but with a weird name.

What is the good way to do this?

Thanks
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are the books on your Kobo ones that you have downloaded to it via either Kobo Desktop, or, directly via WiFi?

If so, these books are in Kobo's OWN format and are not readable via calibre.

You can obtain eBook version of them by going to the the Kobo Books website, navigating to the My Library section, and then clicking download ePub next to each listed book. This will download a small ACSM file that when opened via Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) will download a DRM protected ePub file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

Yes in fact those are books downloaded with my Kobo directly. Two of those books were on my Kobo when I purchased it, the last one was one free I downloaded through the Kobo website with the "add to my library" stuff.

So I should not use the kobo desktop software?

Edit: and once I have the adobe drm file, both in ADE, and in calibre, I cannot manage this file with Calibre? I have to send the file to my KOBO with Adobe Digital Edition?

Edit2: for the edit above this was because I had my iPhone connected as well so Calibre did not recon my Kobo

Last edited by Julien Pham; 12-03-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well if you try looking for Apprentice Alf via Google you might well find tools that would handle DRM issues with ePubs and Calibre.

If not, you can still add the ePubs to Calibre and transfer them to the Kobo; you can't however make use of the facilities of Calibre to change them to other formats.

Also, for the books that were already on your Kobo, I don;t think you will find them in My Library at koboreads.com and thus, will not be able to get an ePub version of them
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

Yes they were on the "my library". I think this is because those books were added for free in my library when I opened a kobo account...
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Julien Pham
Connoisseur

And what about free books or books without DRM I took on kobo website? I see no download link.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien Pham View Post
And what about free books or books without DRM I took on kobo website? I see no download link.
If there is no download link, they are not available as Adobe ePub and are locked into Kobo's super-secret ebook format. This only works with Kobo devices and apps.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Does this mean that unidentified format free books from the Kobo Store cannot be edited on Calibre? I'm assembling some books for the Kobo WiFi I bought for my granddaughter and would like to use Calibre to add covers and organize them.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Does this mean that unidentified format free books from the Kobo Store cannot be edited on Calibre? I'm assembling some books for the Kobo WiFi I bought for my granddaughter and would like to use Calibre to add covers and organize them.
You have it.

Proprietary format and stored on device ONLY
At least they were free.
I guess an argument could be made for false advertising. Free and No Charge are not quite the same.
These books are Not free (as in, do what you want), but no charge within our rules.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote