Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Landscape mode text flow issue

I have just bought my first e-reader (PRS-350). I have come accross an annoying (to me) issue with landscape mode and I wonder if this is a known and accepted issue, or if it is something I can fix.

When viewing epubs in portrait orientation, page turns work perfectly. Text on the next page follows on correctly from the previous one, just as in a "real" book. However, in landscape mode, the first few lines on the next page repeat the last few lines on the previous page. This really interrupts the flow of reading, as I have to quickly work out where to keep reading from, and I find it so irritating that it makes using landscape mode just not worth it to me.

Is there anything I can do about this, as I would really like to be able to use landscape mode?

Firmware version: 1.0.00.08100
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately it works how Sony designed it. Many of us hate it. Basically landscape is designed to mirror the portrait view page exactly, letter by letter and line by line, but using two pages rather than one. To do so it requires that the text that is displayed in the middle of a portrait view page gets displayed twice in the landscape view pages. I guess Sony doesn't understand the concept of flowable text! For some reason Sony chose this crazy way of displaying landscape pages on their 300 and 600 readers. We had hoped they would change to the normal way of showing landscaped pages used by most other readers, but they kept it for the 350 and 650. The 900 and 950 don't do this, at least not in two-column landscape view.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-24-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
How extremely annoying! I thought Sony was meant to be good at this sort of thing. I just had a look at my daughter's Iphone epub app, and it displays portrait and landscape perfectly. It can't be that hard surely....

Does anyone know if any of the alternative firmware talked about on this site fixes this issue?

Last edited by skypilotpete; 03-25-2011 at 05:51 AM.
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote