Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Artemis_A
Train reader
Artemis_A began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Double news transfer from Calibre to Kindle

I use Calibre to download news regularly and them email them to my Kindle email-address.
I also use the Kindle's webbrowser to download books from the Gutenberg project directly onto my Kindle. Once in a while when I need to recharge the Kindle I also copy those books into the Calibre library. Calibre then automatically downloads the latest news a second time onto my Kindle. It is really a minor issue. Calibre is a great software. But I wonder, if there is a way to prevent this automatic download?
Artemis_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Behavior
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
mkgtu
Zealot
mkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolate

Device: Currently:Voyage, Oasis 3, Kindle mobile apps, andKindle Fire
Thanks for the tip. Have had similar issue. I used to get all my news (downloaded during the night) onto my Kindle by connecting it to the computer each morning when I got up. Only used the "email to kindle" when out of town, because of the Amazon charges. Just a few days ago I found that Amazon does not charge their ".15 per mb" fee if you are using wi-fi instead of 3G. Since I have wi-fi at home I now have all the news sent to Kindle by email as it is downloaded.
My problem was that each time I physically connected the Kindle to calibre to perform other tasks, it once again transferred those same news files, thus also bumping one or more of the items from the "Periodicals - back issues". A bit of a concern if you were to want to check e.g. last Wednesday's NYTimes, only to find that it had been bumped from the "seven day" storage because of duplicate issues.
Unchecking the "send downloaded news to ebook reader" solves the problem.
However on a related issue, have also noticed in the past that Calibre does not distinguish one reader from another when sending downloaded news while connected. To wit, if news is being "automatically" sent, then when I connect my Blackberry with Calibre running, the news is transferred (to my Mobipocket Reader). If I then connect the Kindle, the news will not be sent automatically. Once Calibre has sent news to one reader automatically, it is done for the day. Not a big deal; just have to select each newspaper/magazine individually and do the send manually.
Would be nice though, if Calibre could distinguish and remember distinct devices in this auto send process. Or even further, be able to know that if it had mailed anything to a "kindle" address, it does not need to send it again when the device is physically connected, BUT the "auto send" feature could be left enabled so that Calibre would still auto send items to OTHER devices when they are connected. A bit complicated, I'm sure; but one can dream.
mkgtu is offline   Reply With Quote