Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #31
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Eh, if it is USB you know what the voltage is. Are you saying that the USB specification allows voltage that can hurt a Sony reader?
Exactly. USB voltage output is always 5 volts. See this for some data:

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Universal_Serial_Bus_(USB)

I already bought the Apple USB adapter. By the way, if anyone is considering buying the Apple USB charger, go to eBay. You can get a genuine Apple USB adapter for about $11. Apparently, quite a few iPhone owners do not want their USB power adapter and are selling it for around that price. This is a steal, compared to the price of the same thing from Apple Store for about $30.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 03-11-2009 at 09:46 PM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #32
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Just another test I wanted to check for was the use of a Motorola USB charger.
I was thinking the circuitry within the charger would automatically step down
the required voltage but once again, the reader will only charge via mini USB
to PC USB...

Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Eh, if it is USB you know what the voltage is. Are you saying that the USB specification allows voltage that can hurt a Sony reader?
If he's going to be using the AC plug, it could be too low a voltage and it's possible that could damage the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The safest way to charge your Reader is to get a PSP AC adapter other then having it hooked to a USB port off of a computer.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #35
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The safest way to charge your Reader is to get a PSP AC adapter other then having it hooked to a USB port off of a computer.
Yes. though Technically the PSP charger is 5.0 Volts, and the PRS charger is 5.2 volts.

Also, Motorolla Chargers are diferrent than regular Mini B chargers that you might find in an HTC device, which is a standard USB B
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #36
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wanted to give a quick update. So I bought the Apple's USB Power adapter and the retractable USB to PSP adapter cable. Both work perfectly fine with the Sony PRS-700. The total price of this is about $14. The wonderful thing about Apple's USB power adapter is how incredibly small it is! If any of your USB devices can charge by USB, this is a good power adapter to get!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #37
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I wanted to give a quick update. So I bought the Apple's USB Power adapter and the retractable USB to PSP adapter cable. Both work perfectly fine with the Sony PRS-700. The total price of this is about $14. The wonderful thing about Apple's USB power adapter is how incredibly small it is! If any of your USB devices can charge by USB, this is a good power adapter to get!
Do you perhaps have a picture or a link? Thanks. Also, are the PRS's multi voltage like an ipod or laptop, that you can plug in anywhere in the world?
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #38
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

The pictures are above for the Apple USB power adapter. It's very small. It's the size of an ice cube.

The retractable cable is also above.

PRS-700 uses DC power which means the kind of power generated by batteries. The voltage conversion (i.e., from AC to DC) occurs at the site of the power adapter. The Apple USB power adapter is multi-voltage from 100 to 240 or something like that.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Still better to get a PSP AC adapter since you can also read while charging. And the chances are, that this will not work on a 505. So you also save the hassle of having to return it if you can if the device in question is a 505.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #40
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Still better to get a PSP AC adapter since you can also read while charging. And the chances are, that this will not work on a 505. So you also save the hassle of having to return it if you can if the device in question is a 505.
What? No, no, no.

This USB Power Adapter doesn't just plug into the USB port of the Sony Reader. I thought I mentioned (see above posts).

You can get a cable that plugs into the AC/DC port of the PRS-700. So, now I'm charging my PRS-700 using my Apple USB power adapter AND I am able to read at the same time.

Pay attention to the cable I'm using which is the one right below:

One end of the cable is a USB plug. That plugs directly into the USB port of the power adapter. The other end of the cable is a DC plug which plugs directly into the AC/DC port of the PRS-700.

So, again, I can charge AND read on my PRS-700 at the SAME TIME because I'm not charging via USB but because I'm charging via AD/DC port.

And the chances this wouldn't work on the PRS-505 is close to nil because both the PRS-505 and the PRS-700 uses the same adapter, same plug, same voltage.

I think what's confusing you, JSWolf, is you think that a USB power adapter means you need to plug it into the USB port of the PRS-700 or PRS-505. Not so. A USB power adapter is simply an adapter that has a USB port. There are cables that go from USB plug to AC/DC plug. So, you'll be using the USB power adapter but plugging NOT into the USB port of your PRS device but into the AC/DC port of your PRS.

Got it? I hope so

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 03-17-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #41
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Okay I've got it now thanks, and I'm going to get one, as I already have the other plug thingy...
Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #42
dragonbone
must love dogs

Charging PRS-700

Hi guys, sorry if this has been answered already. I discovered today, that my AC/DC charger for my (once much loved) old portable DVD player, works with my PRS-700. It charges super fast and the little red light went on, as apposed to when I tried to charge it with my camcorder's charger, (that pugged into the USB port of the reader). I could also read at the same time. Only problem is that it is a DC+9V and the reader is a 5.2V.
Is that a problem? Will it damage my reader? Everything seems to be working fine so far...
(We really have to learn so many new things with these readers!)
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #43
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Yes, dragonbone, that is a problem. The voltage is too high. It could "burn out". Don't do it.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #44
dragonbone
must love dogs

OK thanks, DH almost blew a gasket himself when I asked him!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What? No, no, no.

This USB Power Adapter doesn't just plug into the USB port of the Sony Reader. I thought I mentioned (see above posts).

You can get a cable that plugs into the AC/DC port of the PRS-700. So, now I'm charging my PRS-700 using my Apple USB power adapter AND I am able to read at the same time.

Pay attention to the cable I'm using which is the one right below:

One end of the cable is a USB plug. That plugs directly into the USB port of the power adapter. The other end of the cable is a DC plug which plugs directly into the AC/DC port of the PRS-700.

So, again, I can charge AND read on my PRS-700 at the SAME TIME because I'm not charging via USB but because I'm charging via AD/DC port.

And the chances this wouldn't work on the PRS-505 is close to nil because both the PRS-505 and the PRS-700 uses the same adapter, same plug, same voltage.

I think what's confusing you, JSWolf, is you think that a USB power adapter means you need to plug it into the USB port of the PRS-700 or PRS-505. Not so. A USB power adapter is simply an adapter that has a USB port. There are cables that go from USB plug to AC/DC plug. So, you'll be using the USB power adapter but plugging NOT into the USB port of your PRS device but into the AC/DC port of your PRS.

Got it? I hope so
I know how the cable works. But do you know what the power specification that comes out of that barrel plug is? Do you know if it might be risking your 700? Unless you know what comes out of that plug, don't use it. NEVER use any charger that you do not know what comes out of it. So what is the spec for that barrel plug?