Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Anyway to zoom in on epub images?

I recently bought a "How to Draw Manga" book from the Kobo book store.

The entire book is consist of scanned images.

I noticed the kepub has the option to zoom in and resize images.

Is there a option to zoom in and out/resize images on a normal epub format?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Is there a option to zoom in and out/resize images on a normal epub format?
No. If the images are the wrong size (too small) then that can usually be fixed by editing the epub before sideloading it. But to be able to zoom on the device you would need to convert the epub to kepub.epub before sideloading it. For a book that is nothing but scanned images then other formats such as cbz might be more suitable.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
No. If the images are the wrong size (too small) then that can usually be fixed by editing the epub before sideloading it. But to be able to zoom on the device you would need to convert the epub to kepub.epub before sideloading it. For a book that is nothing but scanned images then other formats such as cbz might be more suitable.
How do I convert an epub to kepub.epub?

I don't see such an option in Calibre.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It is not part of the standard Kobo device plugin because there are still some issues with it, but there is an extended driver at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver.

If you use it remember that this is not in any way supported by Kobo, in fact they have exlicitly warned against doing this.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is not part of the standard Kobo device plugin because there are still some issues with it, but there is an extended driver at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver.
Joel (the author) has also started a dedicated plugin thread in the Calibre plugin section.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Quick and dirty technique to test the idea is just to rename the file from whatever.epub to whatever.kepub.epub on your device. The plugin does some other tasks as well but sometimes quick and dirty works.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quick and dirty technique to test the idea is just to rename the file from whatever.epub to whatever.kepub.epub on your device. The plugin does some other tasks as well but sometimes quick and dirty works.

Regards,
David
I get mixed results when I rename the epub as .kepub.epub.

The book cover doesn't show up anymore. In it's place is a tiny dot.

Page refreshes every time when the page is turned instead of using the page refresh settings.

I get the resize/move functionality, but the default images appear too large and goes onto next page. (I was able to fix the image size in Sigil by changing the image size properties of width and height).

-------------

Update: Using the extended kobo plugin for calibre seem to have resolve the book cover issue.

But I can only get the image to be about 3/4 of the screen. Anything larger will cause the image to be cropped and appear on two pages.

Best results so far is to use the PDF format, but I don't have the option of a table of contents.

Last edited by RZetlin; 04-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
MauriceH
MauriceH began at the beginning.

Can be edited in Calibre

I took a book that is a EPUB containing all .png images, and from Calibre was able to edit it. I took each image, exported them, changed (expanded) the size, then reinserted them into the EPUB.
It works well, however is a bit tedious..
MauriceH is offline   Reply With Quote