Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Will report back when I get it.
Got mine (K1); It has a broken screen and is unusable. It did power on and I could mount the kindle and look around on the filesystem.

I have sent him a msg asking for replacement.

Last edited by fratermus; 01-17-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added "K1" for clarification.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Got an immediate paypal refund:

Quote:
Unfortunately,
we are unable to send a replacement. As such, a full refund has been
issued. Your refund will be reflected in your order history on eBay.com,
and your original form of payment will be credited.

You are welcome to
keep the item you received as we do not wish to burden you with the task of
returning it to us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist in
resolving this issue.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I picked up a Kindle Keyboard WiFi refurb from an outfit called All4Cellular recently, cost was $52 shipped. Screen was perfect, came with aftermarket USB cable and power adapter as described. I just wanted one cheap for testing epub conversions.

They also had the 3G unit for $10 more. I think the deal I got has expired, but they may well run it again.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
OUCH! Man, that's horrible. eBay needs to pick their sellers for these deals much better.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
1st gen DX arrived today. Usable, but not completely happy. Three groups of stuck pixels, including one large and dark one that's pretty obtrusive. I know I only paid about half price, but still... I'll stick it away for a backup.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure if the Kindle Fire that I bought recently was from this ebay deal specifically, but it was a KF and it was $119.99 - the ebay listing is for "Amazon Kindle Fire 8GB, Wi-Fi, 7in - Black (Latest Model)". This was purchased for my 12 yr. old son, so I've not really used it, but I personally do have a KFHD and to me, the KF that he just got off of ebay as a refurb. seems like it's a 1st generation, not a 2nd ('latest') generation as the ebay listing states. The UI/home screen is a bit different than the carousel that's on my KFHD. His kindle is on my Amazon account and I was able to take a look at his serial number and it starts with D01E B0A0.

Does anyone know whether that's a 1st gen. KF or a 2nd gen. KF serial number prefix? It doesn't matter too much as he is happy with it, it seems to work well, and it came with a free leather case - so for the $119.99 that was spent on it I think that it's still a good deal.

Thanks for any insight!
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Got an immediate paypal refund:
Call Amazon and tell them you have a K1 with a broken screen. They might do something for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wow, lots of bad/broken/etc. This is why I avoid ebay like he plague.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer989 View Post
The UI/home screen is a bit different than the carousel that's on my KFHD. His kindle is on my Amazon account and I was able to take a look at his serial number and it starts with D01E B0A0.
That is the key difference between the first and 2nd gen Fire. The first has those greyish bookshelves on the home screen. The second gen does not, it's kind of just a black background, as shown in the product page. So if the one you got has the bookshelf look, you got a 1st gen, not a "latest"
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow, lots of bad/broken/etc. This is why I avoid ebay like he plague.
Hmm, not so much ebay, but more some ebay sellers.
Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Hmm, not so much ebay, but more some ebay sellers.
Best regards,
Andy
Exactly! I have sold several devices on ebay, never had a problem.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There have been lots of issues with Kindles from eBay. Stay away.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've had trouble in recent years buying refurbished anything from anybody. I'm starting to wonder if the new definition of "refurbished" is "someone else claimed it didn't work but we'll try selling it one more time to see if someone else will keep it."
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I've had trouble in recent years buying refurbished anything from anybody. I'm starting to wonder if the new definition of "refurbished" is "someone else claimed it didn't work but we'll try selling it one more time to see if someone else will keep it."
The problem with refurbished is that they are not always in good enough working order and if you buy such from someone, you could be stuck with it. I prefer to buy refurbished from a place where I can return it if it's not good enough.

For example, my mother had a Sony Reader that had one of the screens that faded in the sunlight. I called Sony and they sent another one for replacement. The text was more grey then the one I was sending back. So I had Sony send another and then sent both back.

In that situation, the seller could say that there is nothing wrong with the first replacement Sony and not take it back. I won't risk something like that unless I know I can return it if there's a problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #30
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
The old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is" holds true here.

Yes, it would be great to get a pristing Kindle DX Graphite 3G international version for USD 159. Does it sound very likely? Not really.

There must be a reason why there are also ebay auctions where those Kindles are sold for 250$ and the buyer writes a happy review - mainly auctions where you see original pictures of the device in question (and not just a "sample image") and the seller is an ebay member with 100% positive feedback and a solid number of sales in the past. (I also bought - and sold - Kindle Keyboards over eBay).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote