Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
yaip
yaip began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Embedding fonts in ePub using Sigil

This is all so confusing and frustrating. I've Googled and found tons of answers. However, not the right one.

I am not a Sigil expert. I have an ePub book that has Mangal fonts to show Hindi. It shows correctly on some devices and ???? on other. I read that if I embed those fonts in my ePub file, it will show correctly on ALL devices. If I am right, all I want to do is add Mangal fonts to my fonts folder (or am I totally wrong?), save my ePub file.

Is this possible? Can anyone give me a step-by-step without sending me to a link? Please.
yaip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Try the Sigil User Guide section for embedding fonts. But not all devices support all fonts.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Note this is a simplified step by step. Once you have mastered this, then some other things are possible but you will need to make sure the basics are working first. Substitute your font for the one listed in this example.

Quote:
It's a good idea to save after each step you complete because Sigil does crash every once in awhile.

1) Open epub book in Sigil.

2) RIGHT mouse click on Fonts folder in right hand column, Select "Add Existing Files..."

3) Find your font, in this case: Hindi.ttf, select it, click OPEN.

3b) SAVE...

4) Edit stylesheet.css, my styles are:

p {
font-family: "Hindi";
font-size: 1.00em;
text-align: justify;
}

@font-face {
font-family: "Hindi";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/Hindi.ttf);
}

4b) SAVE
Additionals:

The p { ... } can be changed to a class if need be, I prefer to keep my epubs very bare bones and use classes to override my base <p> where only required.

Bold / Italics can be added by:

i, em {
font-family: "Hindi_italics";
}

b {
font-family: "Hindi_bold";
}

@font-face {
font-family: "Hindi_bold";
font-weight: bold;
src: url(../Fonts/Hindi-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "Hindi_italics";
font-style: italic;
src: url(../Fonts/Hindi-Italic.ttf);
}
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
BTW, just make sure in your experimenting that you use public domain fonts. Some fonts are OK on your computer, but can not be embedded. This can cause mysterious not working when you have done everything fine otherwise, I understand.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Many thanks, Danger, that worked fine for what I've been looking for.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Be aware that the @font-face must be the first lines in the CSS.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Be aware that the @font-face must be the first lines in the CSS.
Really?

That's odd, as for all the epubs I've made the @font-face entries are put at the bottom and some far they have worked.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will have too look it up, but I definitely remember that. Can't remember why though.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe you are confusing it with @import, which must be the first thing if I remember correctly.

Or maybe there's a bug of some reader...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

That might very well be true Jellby. That sounds like something I might confuse in my head. In the beginning I used an additional stylesheets for the @font-face and used @import for that. It might very well be that this merged in my head.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Jorge Junior
Jorge Junior began at the beginning.

Device: Genesis GT-1230
Hi, Toxaris!
I'm trying to change the default font too, but it's not working.
I want to use two different fonts for titles and text. The text font is working fine, but the title font isn't... although it works in Sigil.
The only thing I could do was to change its color with "color:#FFC800".
What could be wrong in my CSS?

@font-face {
font-family: Book Antiqua;
src:url("../Fonts/BKANT.TTF");
}
@font-face {
font-family: Aphrodite Pro;
src:url("../Fonts/Aphrodite Pro.otf");
}
p+p
{
font-family: Book Antiqua;
text-indent:1.5em;
text-align: justify;
font-size: 1.10em;
}
.title
{
font-family: Aphrodite Pro;
color:#FFC800;
margin-top:0em;
margin-bottom:.65em;
page-break-after:avoid;
font-size: 3.8em;
text-align: center;
text-indent:0em;
}
Jorge Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard

Ditch the spaces in the names.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Or wrap them in quotes.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Jorge Junior
Jorge Junior began at the beginning.

Device: Genesis GT-1230
Thank you, guys!
Wrapping them in quotes did the trick.
Jorge Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
AIR-WIZZ
Rookie Know-It-All
AIR-WIZZ began at the beginning.

Device: I use them all!
My first time working with embedding fonts but I've already made 4 successful ePubs for clients.
@font-face {
font-family: "Book Antiqua";
src: url('../Fonts/BKANT.TTF');
}
@font-face {
src: url('../Fonts/ANTQUAB.TTF');
}
@font-face {
src: url('../Fonts/ANTQUAI.TTF');
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Courier New";
src: url('../Fonts/cour.ttf');
}
body {
font-family: "Book Antiqua", serif;
margin: 1em 1em 1em 1em;
background: #FFFF99;
}
.italics {
}
My problem is italics, bold, etc don't respond. I use classes in spans to implement italics, bold, etc. but <i></i> doesn't allow italics either.
E.G: ...<span class="italics">The Seth Material</span>...
All the text is standard.
Any ideas?
AIR-WIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote