Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #61
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
We get it, Jon. You don't like the book. Don't read it. Can we just move on.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #62
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
We get it, Jon. You don't like the book. Don't read it. Can we just move on.
Actually, in this case, I find Jon's criticism useful. I'll explain. I just started reading the book. Earlier this afternoon, I was in an hospital waiting to be called. I read chapter 2 and 3 standing near the open window, from my iPod. Enjoyed it so much. And thanks to Jon I started to ask myself if old aunties still worry about the marital status of their nephews, a part from Woody Allen movies. Mine did, on the way around, as I married a few times. Do they, now? It would look bizarre in NY, but what is discussed in those family gatherings, even to day?

The question if the limited but subtle descriptions of human behavior by Forster is still actual and stimulating will rise in the discussion, for sure.
Thank you Jon. Keep up the interest.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #63
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Okay, I have started with one of the free versions, but the formatting is making it somewhat of a slog with too many spaces between short paragraphs.

Has anyone bought an Epub with attractive formatting they can recommend? Preferably annotated.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #64
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just finished up Growth of the Soil sooner than expected, so I'll give Forster a go.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #65
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Okay, I have started with one of the free versions, but the formatting is making it somewhat of a slog with too many spaces between short paragraphs.

Has anyone bought an Epub with attractive formatting they can recommend? Preferably annotated.

I don't know of an e-book with annotations, though the Penguin edition paperback {which I have} does have a glossary and extensive notes--some by Forster himself who felt that a glossary of Anglo-Indian terms would be very useful to the general reader . Glossaries and notes are available online. Cliff notes provides one that is fairly useful:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gui...ageNum-28.html

It is fairly basic and intended for anyone who wishes to explore the novel. Areas such as character analysis and critical perspectives one can save until after reading the book and evolving one's own personal outlook. The glossary, though is a handy in-progress reading tool.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #66
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The glossary, though is a handy in-progress reading tool.
couldn't agree more, thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #67
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I don't know of an e-book with annotations, though the Penguin edition paperback {which I have} does have a glossary and extensive notes--some by Forster himself who felt that a glossary of Anglo-Indian terms would be very useful to the general reader . Glossaries and notes are available online. Cliff notes provides one that is fairly useful:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gui...ageNum-28.html

It is fairly basic and intended for anyone who wishes to explore the novel. Areas such as character analysis and critical perspectives one can save until after reading the book and evolving one's own personal outlook. The glossary, though is a handy in-progress reading tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
couldn't agree more, thanks!
How helpful all this is.

Personally, I saved with http://www.instapaper.com these two pages

http://classiclit.about.com/od/passa...ssagestudy.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/gaybooks...getoindia.html

for further ... whatever.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am reading the Rosetta Books version, which is lacking in any notes. Thanks for the online suggestions. I like the instapaper idea.

If anyone has a Sony ereader, I have found that switching the dictionary to Oxford English helps with some of the foreign terms.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #69
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I am reading the Rosetta Books version, which is lacking in any notes. Thanks for the online suggestions. I like the instapaper idea.

If anyone has a Sony ereader, I have found that switching the dictionary to Oxford English helps with some of the foreign terms.
The Kindle Dictionary is giving all the strange words. I use the US version.

I like the book so much. I want to go on and at the same time I want to enjoy the little steps and nuances. Very nice feeling of wanting to go and refraining. Great prose.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #70
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm reading this slowly, savoring the leisurely and subtle prose and enjoying the understated humor. I did have at least one LOL moment, though, with this description of a Eurasian:

Quote:
his face, to which the Ruling Race had contributed little beyond bad teeth
Shades of the Simpsons and The Big Book of British Smiles!

I have issues as well as appreciations which I will save for the discussion, but this has been well worth the re-read.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #71
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

I just completed the first part. The second part, the Caves, is right there ahead of me. All the characters are in place now, sufficiently defined for the drama, that like the warm season, is looming ahead. Drama? Not really, just some major misunderstanding, I imagine. Dreams, misplaced expectations abound. Cholera that is reduced to a more prosaic affliction. Eye flies.

I am reading it on the beach, a bit distracted by the behavior of the fellow tourists, and their attires, reduced to the minimum, if not less. But it is a very congenial atmosphere to the plays of appearances, of suspended reality of the story.

I think I will finish it in time for the discussion.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #72
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post

I think I will finish it in time for the discussion.
Hope so since you are the discussion leader.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #73
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I wouldn't mind if we put off discussion until Friday Not mind the least
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #74
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Hope so since you are the discussion leader.

Ps. Very pretty Avatar. Lean, essential and as it is in fashion now, leaning on the spiritual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I wouldn't mind if we put off discussion until Friday Not mind the least
But of course, chere madame. The discussion will commence when and only when He will say so. I just made some noise in the hope that Jon would notice it.

Sorry, but I have to go now: I have a book to read.

Last edited by beppe; 08-16-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #75
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've only just started. So far so good.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, member lottery, nominations