Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #1
IanLunn
IanLunn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to deal with large images?

We are putting together an ePub that contains some large technical images that contain text. We are concerned that when viewed on small devices these images will be too small and the text won't be readable.

What is the best approach to deal with this?

In testing in iBooks and Amazon Kindle Preview we found that by using a large quality image shrunk down to fit the layout, the image could be clicked to reveal its full-size. However, this functionality doesn't appear to work in our target device, the Kindle Voyage.

We also tried linking the smaller image to another page at the back of the ePub containing a full-size image but we could only get external links to URLs working in iBooks and Amazon Kindle Preview. Links to pages don't seem to work.

We are using a reflowable layout.

Any tips please?
IanLunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The early Kindles enlarged every image to full screen (unless it was very small to begin with). I thought this was still true of e-ink Kindles, but perhaps it's not; my only one is a K3 Keyboard. Starting with the Fire tablets, however, screens became hi-rez and images were shown actual size. (Though I've been told that a Pixel Is A Pixel Is Not Always A Pixel when it comes to LCD screens.) A double tap will zoom them to full size.

I had your challenge with one book--there was simply no way it would be legible on the average e-reader. It was a strong horizontal. So I sliced it down to a normal vertical image and put a link below it to the full image online. Of course I don't know if anyone ever clicked through, but the option was available to them if they chose.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Would this be an SVG image perchance? There seems to be a bug on kindle which prevents zooming of those.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
IanLunn

No, just a .jpg.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanLunn View Post
We are putting together an ePub that contains some large technical images that contain text. We are concerned that when viewed on small devices these images will be too small and the text won't be readable.

What is the best approach to deal with this?

In testing in iBooks and Amazon Kindle Preview we found that by using a large quality image shrunk down to fit the layout, the image could be clicked to reveal its full-size. However, this functionality doesn't appear to work in our target device, the Kindle Voyage.
I'm not going to pretend I understand this last bit--is this something internal to your organization, I take it? Everyone has Voyages? Is that the gist? What makes you think that zooming on a Voyage doesn't work? It works on mine.

Quote:
We also tried linking the smaller image to another page at the back of the ePub containing a full-size image but we could only get external links to URLs working in iBooks and Amazon Kindle Preview. Links to pages don't seem to work.

We are using a reflowable layout.

Any tips please?
I think you must not understand how Zoom on the Voyage works. How are you trying to do that?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2015, 04:17 AM   #6
IanLunn

Actually, we want to have this working across as many devices as possible. I mention the Voyage because it is the device we've had most trouble with.

We couldn't find documentation to make images zoom on the Voyage but as it works on other devices, we presumed Voyage should do the same when adding a large image to an ePub but shrinking its container down to fit our layout. In other devices, the image in the layout just needs to be tapped for the device to then show the full-size image.

Are you able to provide a link or details of how to get image zooming working on a Voyage please?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.manualse.com/pdf/544ed0cb...-user-guide/21
Old 07-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, we want to have this working across as many devices as possible. I mention the Voyage because it is the device we've had most trouble with.

We couldn't find documentation to make images zoom on the Voyage but as it works on other devices, we presumed Voyage should do the same when adding a large image to an ePub but shrinking its container down to fit our layout. In other devices, the image in the layout just needs to be tapped for the device to then show the full-size image.

Are you able to provide a link or details of how to get image zooming working on a Voyage please?
Yupperdoodle, I can do that.

Just hold the image on the Voyage for a moment longer than the other readers. Depress, hold; when the color changes (to a negative, effectively), remove your finger and choose your poison--zoom (look for the wee magnifier), Add Note, Highlight, "More." ;-)

That's all. After viewing the zoomed image, tap the x in the circle to close.

Yes, I promise to only use this superpower for good.

Hitch
Old 07-14-2015, 04:20 AM   #9
IanLunn

Thanks @Hitch and @Notjohn. We're not able to get this to work. Should it work on all images or does the image have to be formatted in a particular way? The source being a certain size for example?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Well, I don't have a Voyage, so I retire from combat.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks @Hitch and @Notjohn. We're not able to get this to work. Should it work on all images or does the image have to be formatted in a particular way? The source being a certain size for example?
No. I don't understand (sorry) what you are doing wrong. You *are* testing this on a real Voyage, right? And you've tested the zooming for other books, and that works? Is that all correct?

Hitch
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
IanLunn

Yes, we're testing on a real Voyage. Oddly, in the Amazon Kindle Previewer zooming works when the image is clicked. On the actual device the menu appears but the zoom option is greyed out. Zooming also works in iBooks.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes, we're testing on a real Voyage. Oddly, in the Amazon Kindle Previewer zooming works when the image is clicked. On the actual device the menu appears but the zoom option is greyed out. Zooming also works in iBooks.
Q: how are you transferring the mobi file to the Voyage?

ETA: Can you send me the source file for the MOBI? This is a bit "shooting at a tiny object with a shotgun"-ish for troubleshooting?

H

Last edited by Hitch; 07-16-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: ETA: asked OP to send the source
Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #14
IanLunn

It's an ePub file opposed to a MOBI. The file is being emailed to the device and opened from there.

I've attached a test file we're using that is generated via Adobe InDesign.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: epub Untitled-3.epub (179.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Your KindleGen converted test file (both AZW3 and MOBI7 versions) works fine with my PW2. I.e., this might be a Kindle Voyage bug.

Do you have the 5.6.2.1 firmware installed on your Voyage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi7_img1.png
Views:	200
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	140305   Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi7_img1_zoomed.png
Views:	188
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	140306   Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi7_img2.png
Views:	197