Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What will you do when MacOS stops supporting 32-bit apps and won't run ADE 2.0.1?
Stick with the last MacOS version that supports 32-bit apps and ignore future updates 0 0%
Keep an old Mac around running the last 32-bit-friendly MacOS 1 33.33%
Use Kindle instead of ADE 1 33.33%
Use Kobo instead of ADE 1 33.33%
I have another solution … (please share) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I have used the new version for a while and have to to get this issue.
I'll be a bit surprised if anyone makes a serious effort to harden the DRM. I think the current issue with Apple is more that the de-DRM programs used a method that is no longer support with High Sierra rather than Apple actively trying to shut them down.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #17
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'll be a bit surprised if anyone makes a serious effort to harden the DRM. I think the current issue with Apple is more that the de-DRM programs used a method that is no longer support with High Sierra rather than Apple actively trying to shut them down.
Alf's tools work on High Sierra. (There's a bug in the most recent version of the tools, but that's easily avoided by going back a version or two until the fix is sorted out. I don't think the problem is High Sierra, I think it's just a small bug in the tools.)

The issue (for me) is that the next MacOS version (10.14 Mojave) is reported to be the last version that will support 32-bit apps.

ADE 2.0.1 is a 32-bit app. It's fine with 10.13 (High Sierra). It should be fine with 10.14 (Mojave), but will almost certainly stop functioning with 10.15, in 2019. So I'm exploring options.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
@johnnyb and @pwalker8, thanks for the suggestions!

@OtinG, since you don't use Alf's tools, KFX is a non-issue for you.
Didn't Alf's tools add KFX support around April or something? Granted, it does require extra effort as you need to zip the KFX.

Mind, I've actually switched to Kindle and Kobo (kepub) for a couple of years now. ADE activation is kind of a hassle.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Alf's tools work on High Sierra. (There's a bug in the most recent version of the tools, but that's easily avoided by going back a version or two until the fix is sorted out. I don't think the problem is High Sierra, I think it's just a small bug in the tools.)

The issue (for me) is that the next MacOS version (10.14 Mojave) is reported to be the last version that will support 32-bit apps.

ADE 2.0.1 is a 32-bit app. It's fine with 10.13 (High Sierra). It should be fine with 10.14 (Mojave), but will almost certainly stop functioning with 10.15, in 2019. So I'm exploring options.
I was talking about the issues with Apple's media (books, movies), which Alf's tools don't handle.

Obsolete programs that stop working is a long time problem with Apple. Apple makes very little effort to maintain backward compatibility.

One suggestion that I would make is if you have multiple machines, put the latest and greatest ADE on one of the machines and see if you actually do have any issues or not. It may turn out to be not as much of an issue as you think.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #20
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... One suggestion that I would make is if you have multiple machines, put the latest and greatest ADE on one of the machines and see if you actually do have any issues or not. It may turn out to be not as much of an issue as you think.
That's an interesting thought. But my impression is that once Apple transitions entirely to 64-bit, 32-bit apps simply will not run.
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's an interesting thought. But my impression is that once Apple transitions entirely to 64-bit, 32-bit apps simply will not run.
The latest and greatest ADE isn't 64 bit?
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The latest and greatest ADE isn't 64 bit?
Yes, it is. The title of this thread is a little misleading. MacOS is not going to stop supporting ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it is. The title of this thread is a little misleading. MacOS is not going to stop supporting ADE.
ok, I had assumed it was, that was why I suggested trying it just to see if the OP found it usable or not.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #24
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry for the misleading title. Can a kind moderator please change the title to:

When MacOS no longer supports ADE 2.0.1

Thank you
Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #25
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Not ideal though ADE 2.x can be run in a Windows VM when needed. My complaint with newer ADEs is that EPUB 3s ignore the ADE .xpgt stylesheet; handy when making your own EPUBs.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote