Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Will $99 Kobo Auras mean cheaper Paperwhites?

Now that we see Walmart is selling Kobo Auras for $99, do you think Amazon will counter with $99 Paperwhites?

And, I just thought of something, is it possible that the $99 Kobo Auras at Walmart will have Walmart ads? (That's a scary thought.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And, I just thought of something, is it possible that the $99 Kobo Auras at Walmart will have Walmart ads? (That's a scary thought.)
Even worse, you won't be allowed to read your book until you show them your receipt
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I'll bet this will drive the paperwhite down to 99. It was the introduction of the first Kobo at 139 or 149 that finally brought down the prices of Nooks and Kindles from the 200+ range way back when if I remember correctly
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm torn between wanting a cheaper PW or a "fancier" PW. Fancy/Cheap would be nice, but I'm not that optimistic.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm torn between wanting a cheaper PW or a "fancier" PW. Fancy/Cheap would be nice, but I'm not that optimistic.
I thought the fancier Paperwhite was known as the Voyage...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought the fancier Paperwhite was known as the Voyage...
"Was" being the operative word ... dang it.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I'll bet this will drive the paperwhite down to 99. It was the introduction of the first Kobo at 139 or 149 that finally brought down the prices of Nooks and Kindles from the 200+ range way back when if I remember correctly
When this actually gets off the ground (I guess there was no official announcement for the 21st, so Walmart is probably not feeling a lot of pressure?), this will be the first time Amazon might have to worry about competing for a while. I wonder if the current Paperwhite will compete with the Aura and whether Amazon will come out with a "deluxe" Paperwhite in the old price slot (to compete with the Clara).
Old 08-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I doubt Amazon are bothered. Mr Bezos has said in the past that the PW is sold at cost price. Amazon make money from content sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt Amazon are bothered.
I agree. Besides, the Aura 2 is closer to the basic Kindle than the Paperwhite. If anything, maybe they could add a light to the basic. But I would bet that whatever decisions are being made have little to do with competing with the Walmart/Kobo 'juggernaut'.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I doubt Amazon are bothered. Mr Bezos has said in the past that the PW is sold at cost price. Amazon make money from content sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I agree. Besides, the Aura 2 is closer to the basic Kindle than the Paperwhite. If anything, maybe they could add a light to the basic. But I would bet that whatever decisions are being made have little to do with competing with the Walmart/Kobo 'juggernaut'.
Yeah, but Walmart is not Barnes & Noble. I would think the Paperwhite is about to be upgraded anyhow and Amazon kept the Touch around for a couple years after the Paperwhite came out — even though they had the lower end Basic.

And ... not sure why you (Zod) say the Aura is closer to the Basic than the Paperwhite (212 Carta resolution instead of 300? — the Basic is 167 Pearl).

I'm guessing Amazon will respond.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That may have been true at one time, but I doubt it is the case anymore. Barnes and Noble and Kobo both Have comparable ereaders for similar costs. Amazon may sell the PW at cost during the sales they have often. If Amazon sells the Paperwhite at cost normally with as many as they sell, how much do Kobo and Barnes and Noble lose when they sell one?
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Now that we see Walmart is selling Kobo Auras for $99, do you think Amazon will counter with $99 Paperwhites?
Where exactly do you see? In the display at your Walmart? On walmart.com only the Clara HD is sold by Walmart directly at $129.99. That is the one that competes with the PW. The product page does NOT work in browser, but it does in the Walmart app (including a bunch of fake reviews).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Where exactly do you see? In the display at your Walmart? On walmart.com only the Clara HD is sold by Walmart directly at $129.99. That is the one that competes with the PW. The product page does NOT work in browser, but it does in the Walmart app (including a bunch of fake reviews).
At the Walmart display in the one (maybe the only one in the country?) Walmart store that I've found (or heard of) that actually has a Kobo display. Now I'm beginning to wonder how tired I was when I took the pictures and whether my phone/camera was as wonked out as I was. $99 even for the Aura. You can see the price in one of the pictures I posted in a thread here ... somewhere.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I just took a quick look at walmart.com and, for me, it showed the Clara HD, Aura H2O edition 2 and the Aura One though actually clicking on the devices went to the Books page. Not quite ready for prime time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I just took a quick look at walmart.com and, for me, it showed the Clara HD, Aura H2O edition 2 and the Aura One though actually clicking on the devices went to the Books page. Not quite ready for prime time.
Yep, they updated since I posted, I see them now too. What I don't see is the $99 Aura.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote