Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #61
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Best Buy does that as well. I nearly bought a laptop from them till I compared features of the same model with those listed on the manufacturer's website.
Are you saying that they are lying about the model number? If I check the specs of a model number that is listed at Best Buy, I expect that to be what is inside. For example on the Acer Swift 3 at Best Buy, the model number that is listed as, SF31452557Y, is what I am getting.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have to wonder though about whether the units will be identical to what is sold through Kobo. Many well known brands are offered for less through Wal-Mart because they are specially produced for Wal-Mart often with fewer features or cheaper parts.
I doubt it. I know what you're saying when you are talking about Levis and such. But the electronics Walmart sells (iPads, etc) are the same. Walmart does sell cheap electronics. But I doubt Kobo will be making a Walmart model of their reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I am not so sure that it is in the best interest of Walmart to make a big deal of a feature that will cost them, again, consequent book sales.
Not sure what Walmart thinks, but it would be good for Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I doubt it. I know what you're saying when you are talking about Levis and such. But the electronics Walmart sells (iPads, etc) are the same. Walmart does sell cheap electronics. But I doubt Kobo will be making a Walmart model of their reader.
Sometimes Walmart has slightly different model numbers for computers and DVD players, etc., but I think it's mostly to differentiate between the models they sell and those others sell, probably more for return and warranty purposes than anything else.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #65
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure what Walmart thinks, but it would be good for Kobo.
It would be good for Kobo? Is your thinking because they are making money either way, whether books are bought from Kobo store or borrowed from Overdrive?

They first have to convince people to switch over away from paper and from Amazon (paper and electronic).
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Are you saying that they are lying about the model number? If I check the specs of a model number that is listed at Best Buy, I expect that to be what is inside. For example on the Acer Swift 3 at Best Buy, the model number that is listed as, SF31452557Y, is what I am getting.
Quote:
It depends on the device. I wouldn't expect Apple devices to be different, but, other brands can be. For laptops, I've noticed here in Australia, that each shop can have different model numbers, and the manufactor's site will have a different model number as well. Sometimes there are small feature differences, but frequently there is no obvious difference. But, it makes it harder to comparison shop, and allows them to refuse to price match.

For the Walmart deal, if there are any difference with the Kobo devices, I think it will be packaging and possibly a label on the device. And maybe something in the firmware. The other possibility is that Kobo might release their next device initially at only Walmart. That is probably a good idea for them, but not for the rest of us.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #67
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Compare the specs listed on Best Buy with those listed on the Acer website.

I'm not 100% sure the model number was identical. I might have gone by the model name. My guess is that I would have looked at the model number and if they had been different I would have remembered that but this was some time ago and I don't remember that much detail.

I am sure that it was made to seem like the same laptop and there were features that were missing. They don't exactly lie about it. They list the features and leave out mention of the missing features. It's just something to be careful about when buying from Best Buy. And maybe from others. I'm not sure. When I buy hardware from anyone, including Amazon, my go-to place, I check specs very carefully.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #68
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It depends on the device. I wouldn't expect Apple devices to be different, but, other brands can be. For laptops, I've noticed here in Australia, that each shop can have different model numbers, and the manufactor's site will have a different model number as well. Sometimes there are small feature differences, but frequently there is no obvious difference. But, it makes it harder to comparison shop, and allows them to refuse to price match.

For the Walmart deal, if there are any difference with the Kobo devices, I think it will be packaging and possibly a label on the device. And maybe something in the firmware. The other possibility is that Kobo might release their next device initially at only Walmart. That is probably a good idea for them, but not for the rest of us.
It would not bother those of us in the USA as currently our only choice is to order from the Kobo store in Canada. I ordered a Kobo Aura One 32 GB version on Dec 25th and STILL do not have a working model. The first one sent took about 12 days to arrive and was defective, weak or dead wi-fi. Shipped by UPS from Canada. Returned by UPS and received acknowledgement that they had received my return yesterday, 1/26. Over a month since first ordered. Now waiting for them to ship the replacement which will again travel 2500 miles by surface UPS from Canada and take circa 10 days to arrive. Much better if I could buy at Walmart and return there if defective. This experience so far has been ridiculous and frustrating as hell.

At least the return facility was in the USA, but in New York so again a 2500 mile surface shipping trip from Nevada, with the time involved. Add in the time to contact Kobo and for them to even authorize the return and send the paperwork, about a week, and the whole thing had been a monumental screw up.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #69
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Since Kobo has been pretty innovative in recent years maybe this will help get Amazon interested in using a little more imagination than they've been doing in the last few years. This might result in newer Kindles as well.

It's all just guessing at this point but this could turn out to be a serious milestone in ebooks.

Barry
Not sure I agree with you as Amazon has introduced some new features via firmware updates as well as items such as the Oasis 1 with the in case battery and the Oasis 2 which finally went beyond the 6" screen size. The Oasis 2 ability to disable the touchscreen is also new. I want it on the Voyage too.

Some firmware upgrades such as more fonts and a wider range of font sizes as well as font boldness adjustments are catch-ups with Kobo but at least they are apparently trying. Now to be truly original, how about a tablet/reader with a LCD or active OLED screen on one side and a e-ink screen on the other side.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #70
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
It would not bother those of us in the USA as currently our only choice is to order from the Kobo store in Canada.
I live in the US and always just order them from Amazon. I've bought 3 H2Os in the past couple of years with no problems (a couple as Christmas gifts last month).
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It would not bother those of us in the USA as currently our only choice is to order from the Kobo store in Canada. ...
You can also purchase Kobos from chapters.ca (if you live in the U.S.A.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now to be truly original, how about a tablet/reader with a LCD or active OLED screen on one side and a e-ink screen on the other side.
Well, "truly original" for an eReader anyhow. Yota has already done it in a smartphone.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #73
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Having ordered from both Kobo and Chapters/Indigo from the US, I can definitely say Chapters was better. I've never had to return one. Will still be nicer to get them from Walmart, and much easier to return if needed.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It would not bother those of us in the USA as currently our only choice is to order from the Kobo store in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But doesn't the ".ca" website address signify "Canada?"
Old 01-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #75
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But doesn't the ".ca" website address signify "Canada?"
Doesn't mean they are not sipping out of country. Kobo store is not the only way.