Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #76
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
Out of curiosity, as a Dutchie (with Dutch cc and billing address), if this store ever does become reality, does that mean I'll be restricted to buying e-books from the Dutch store? Somehow, I don't think it'll be as large as the US one... e-books aren't exactly big in the Netherlands.
In your Kindle settings (web account, not on the reader), you can set the country.
I'm frequently switching back and forth between the US and Germany. (All with the very same German credit card and billing address.)
Reason: I'm into Dilbert and Garfield cartoons and in the US sometimes there are more titles available.
Some claim, they've received emails from Amazon to prove their residence. I've got such an email once, ca. 2 or 3 years ago. I simply stated the truth (at least my version of it): Traveling a lot, staying here and there...

But of course the original idea of Amazon is, buying from your regional Amazon store. Which makes sense - most of the time. I'm buying ca. 80% from the German store, but the rest from the US.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #77
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In your Kindle settings (web account, not on the reader), you can set the country.
I'm frequently switching back and forth between the US and Germany. (All with the very same German credit card and billing address.)
Reason: I'm into Dilbert and Garfield cartoons and in the US sometimes there are more titles available.
Does that mean that, theoretically, if you have two Kindles, you could register them on different accounts/countries, different email address and yet with the same credit card?
Has anybody ever done that?
I have also been switching between US and India, but I would rather not switch often
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #78
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Does that mean that, theoretically, if you have two Kindles, you could register them on different accounts/countries, different email address and yet with the same credit card?
Has anybody ever done that?
I have also been switching between US and India, but I would rather not switch often
I've got 7 Kindles plus ca. 10 Kindle apps.
I can use between 4 and 6 activations at once, depending on the publisher.
Meaning: At least 4 units in parallel can use the very same account.
Within this account, you can link to numerous countries.

I don't think, linking to separate accounts would make sense.
You only can have 1 account active per reader, so you wouldn't be able to access the books from the other account(s).
But if you use the very same account and have numerous countries in the background, it's working flawlessly.

Example:
I have 500 eBooks from Amazon Germany on my Kindles.
I switch the web account to the US.
Here I buy some books.
Then I link back to Germany.
Now I have all books in my account, no matter from what country I've bought them.

Only downside I've discovered:
Normally, Amazon warns you if by accident you try to buy a book for the 2nd time (easily can happen with my 700 eBooks).
If you bought the book, let's say from the US and then try to re-buy from Germany, there's no warning.
Minor downside in my opinion, I easily can live with that.

Personally, I try not to switch countries too often. I never do it to save money, I consider this too risky.
I only do it for books I don't find in Germany. Those I buy in the US. And once I did so in UK.

BTW: You don't need different email addresses. Maybe it makes it more complicated for Amazon to see the connection. But it's not needed. And if you use the very same credit card and billing address, Amazon will see it anyway.

Last edited by mgmueller; 12-02-2012 at 05:14 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #79
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I don't know if Amazon really cares about circumventing geo-restrictions. I know that I once had a problem with buying a books at Books on Board (which wasn't geo-restricted) and when I emailed about it they advised me to try and buy the book using a gift card because it can't check your country that way. This also worked with geo-restricted books.

Personally I doubt Amazon will open their Dutch store this year. They've pretty much missed the gift giving season, a lot of people spend more money buying gifts for Sinterklaas, on Wednesday, than for Christmas in the Netherlands.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #80
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I don't think, linking to separate accounts would make sense.
You only can have 1 account active per reader, so you wouldn't be able to access the books from the other account(s).
Thank you for the advice. I did have two kindles registered on my account, but then I decided to deregister one of them and register it in my husbands name, so I don't have to switch between the countries too often.

As for accessing the books, I do always liberate them once I buy them, since I am buying the book as per my defintion so I do have access to all books from both kindles.

I am supposed to get one more Kindle, so I thought of just registering it with different email same credit card, different country.

Reason is that I was recently looking for a book which I couldn't find neither in India nor in US store nor in Kobo. Then I used the same card I use with Kobo, registered as if I am in UK with different email address and it let me buy the Kobo UK book...Which is where I got the idea of doing this on long term basis on Amazon
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert