Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Download and transfer gave TextEdit file instead of AZW file

Very strange indeed, I just used 'download and transfer via USB' to access one of my kindle books as I'm interested in translating it so want to convert the file format first.

Instead of downloading it as the AZW file as usual, it's downloaded as a 'TextEdit' file, which is full of gobbledegook.

I tried again, this time selecting a different device as the destination (in the unlikely even that that made a difference), with the same result.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Does anyone know why it happened?

Does anyone know what I can do fix this?

Can I do anything to convert the TextEdit file into a readable format?

I'm using a Mac, so it might be something to do with that...
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I'm using a Mac, so it might be something to do with that...
Try using Chrome instead of Safari.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much! I tried Firefox first as I already have it on my system, and this time it downloaded the AZW file.

Do you know why this happened?

Why hasn't it happened with any of my previous downloads and transfers, all of which have been on Safari? (The last one of which was two days ago, and successfully downloaded the AZW file). Not important, just curious if anyone knows. At least I know I can use firefox in future.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know. It might be something on Amazon's servers, or it might be something in Safari attempting to recognise the kind of file being downloaded and getting it wrong.

It would be possible to find out by checking the traffic between your machine and Amazon's servers using something like Wireshark, but since nothing we do will change what's happening, I think it's best to just work around it when it happens.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I think it's a Safari glitch where it sometimes has trouble identifying the file type.

The file actually downloads correctly, just without an extension. You can fix this easily by adding .azw or .azw3 to the file. It will then open and function correctly.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Pjama
Guru

That worked too! Thanks to both of you.