Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
Tight
Tight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
can you not download a user manual for the planned wireless flash drive ?
e.g. the 1st one i found says thie ( and there's probably more detail within the pdf )
Works With
• USB 2.0 connection interface or higher
• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz capable device
• iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch: iOS version 8.0 or higher
Other Wi-Fi® enabled devices: a web browser, WebDAV client
• PC or Mac: Windows® 10, Windows® 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista®, or
Mac OS 10.6 or higher
a more cunning search - for "Sandisk connect wireless stick kindle" found a link to amazon where there are hundreds of reviews and 169 answered questions,
if none of those mention kindle it is free and easy to go there & post " will this work with my kindle paperwhite" into the ask a new question box
Yes @stumped, I've read the manual as well as the Amazon reviews and questions. The opinion is mixed, with a key factor being downloading the "correct" SanDisk SW. Some folks have a great experience and some not so much, with support being pretty much non-existent. The 200 GB version is actually being sold as an accessory on the Apple website, so I am assuming it has either been left as FAT32 or reformatted by Disk Utility (part of Mac OS) to be Mac-only. The question is then which version of SanDisk SW to use. On Apple App Store reviews are not great (most are from 2017) and I am cautious about relying on a solution for her that might stop working, be too slow or unreliable while she is in the middle of the Amazon.
Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i read a bit more also- the stick uses a protocol called WEBDAV and says that any device which supports that should have browser access, even devices that cannot run the sandisc mobile app.

what I don't know is whether the "experimental" kindle browser supports WEBDAV.
but Amazon kindle support should know - I'd ask kindle customer services or ask in their new kindle customer forum

PS the format used to store files on the stick should not much matter as the kindle will never be directly linked. I'd guess FAT32 as that is the most universally accepted, and the manual says that both PC and MAc are supported. ( though that would restrict use of stick for video streaming, and cast to TV is also a promoted feature )

a separate google search for WEBDAV is encouraging. and there are some ( albeit ancient) MR threads that mention webdav also

Last edited by stumped; 11-04-2018 at 09:48 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i read a bit more also- the stick uses a protocol called WEBDAV and says that any device which supports that should have browser access, even devices that cannot run the sandisc mobile app.

what I don't know is whether the "experimental" kindle browser supports WEBDAV.
but Amazon kindle support should know - I'd ask kindle customer services or ask in their new kindle customer forum

PS the format used to store files on the stick should not much matter as the kindle will never be directly linked. I'd guess FAT32 as that is the most universally accepted, and the manual says that both PC and MAc are supported. ( though that would restrict use of stick for video streaming, and cast to TV is also a promoted feature )

a separate google search for WEBDAV is encouraging. and there are some ( albeit ancient) MR threads that mention webdav also
Thanks @Stumped for the info, my intuitive "guess" about just which format will work best for most case uses is similar to yours. I ordered the 200 GB one direct from SanDisk and will experiment. Whether SanDisk left the formatting at FAT32 (which Apple devices can read), or just how they formatted their Apple version is unknown. This probably affects which version of the SW you need, which appears to be a critical factor in making the stick work properly.

Since the intended use is for iPad Pro file storage and Kindle access, I can forgo TV casting if necessary. Audio and Video streaming however, are features I would like to keep. So I'll test it out and report back.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i have never come across a device that has different software for different drive formats.
software is soemtimes 32 or 64 bit specific and always PC vs mac specific but that's a different issue.
the only real weakness of fat32 is the 4GB max file size so you cannot store and stream a 10Gb HD mkv moview rip. Even some 1 hour TV shows, in high quality 1080p rips , can go over the 4GB limit.
so long as you first backup any software which is provided only on the stick, you can reformat it different ways for different tests...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #20
Tight

I just set everything up today and wanted to let everyone know a bit more about this issue. I downloaded the SanDisk app and installed it on the iPad, which now connects to the wireless stick by switching to it in Settings/Wifi. So at least it is a valuable addition to anyone with a mobile device without a USB port needing extra storage - yay.

However the Kindle unfortunately doesn't connect to the SanDisk using the experimental browser, but it can connect to my home WIFI network. I've posted a question about if it is possible to do this..somehow.. to the Amazon Kindle forum and maybe someone might have a bright idea.
Advert