Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #301
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking the the Calibre/Devices forum, the information needed to add support for the new Paperwhite has already been supplied and the next release of calibre will have the support baked in (probably on Friday given Kovid's usual release schedule).

Calibre 3.34 is now available and adds the new PW4 capability. I'm transferring books to my new PW4 currently.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #302
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i just installed the calibre update which has the new pw support.

i quite like it so far. the verdict is still out when comparing it with the oasis 2 which is fine, but i have ergonomic issues with it being too wide and the cover too easily dislodged, thus i really like the more narrow pw, but then again i like having the option of physical /page/buttons but you can't have cake and eat it i guess.

the pw is just noticeably slower on page turns than the oasis and there's a 'flash' every time whereas on the oasis i only get a flash every 3-4 turns. but the pw screen is very sharp and even with my bad eyes i can dial down the font size enough to get a good-sized chunk of text on the screen.

as i said earlier, i got the 32gb version of the pw in anticipation of putting my full 2400 ebook library on it along with my purchased kindle books and my 400 docs. but now i wish i'd saved $30 and got the 8gb version and put my whole library on my 32gb oasis 2 and used the pw for casual reading while keeping it loaded with less than a dozen books in my read next queue. and if amazon hadn't sold out of nearly all covers by the time i ordered i could have saved more money by not getting a bundle considering the power adapter is $20 and virtually worthless.

to put this plan into effect and despite the good advice i got (!), i installed all 2400 calibre books onto the oasis 2 about this time yesterday. it hung at about 1750 books yet to index and i deleted 5 books and it started up again. i left it on power all night and this morning it had hung at about 500 left to go and again i deleted 5 books and it picked up again. as i type this there are only 8 books left to go, so a rough estimate on time to index was 24 hours for 2400 items (not counting how long the two 'hangs' cost me) or one hour per 100 books.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #303
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

i might note that after loading nearly 3000 books onto a 32gb oasis 2 with a very high percentage of those being large books such as music and science and technical and reference books, it only took approximately 5gb of space. i post this for those not knowing whether they need the 32 gb models and turns out that unless i add double what i have, i wasted the $30 each i spent on the oasis and the new pw model. but i remember trying to load the calibre library onto a 4gb kindle and failing, so i guess i over-compensated.

i might note that i don't have any magazines or comic books or graphic novels or audible books, any category of which could easily change the equation.

/guy
Old 11-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #304
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i might note that after loading nearly 3000 books onto a 32gb oasis 2 with a very high percentage of those being large books such as music and science and technical and reference books, it only took approximately 5gb of space. i post this for those not knowing whether they need the 32 gb models and turns out that unless i add double what i have, i wasted the $30 each i spent on the oasis and the new pw model. but i remember trying to load the calibre library onto a 4gb kindle and failing, so i guess i over-compensated.

i might note that i don't have any magazines or comic books or graphic novels or audible books, any category of which could easily change the equation.

/guy
Yeah, ebooks are pretty small. Majority of my Kindle books range from ~600KB to 2MB. Given the 512MB RAM, I think the PW4 might actually choke on the 20,000+ regular books it would take to fill up 32GB (probably just ~28GB usable).

Graphic novels definitely change the equation, though. My manga volumes average 100MB per and they're like 15-30 minute reads compared to a 600KB novel.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #305
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, ebooks are pretty small. Majority of my Kindle books range from ~600KB to 2MB. Given the 512MB RAM, I think the PW4 might actually choke on the 20,000+ regular books it would take to fill up 32GB (probably just ~28GB usable).

Graphic novels definitely change the equation, though. My manga volumes average 100MB per and they're like 15-30 minute reads compared to a 600KB novel.
do you know how much ram the oasis 2 has? i've never seen those specs listed or in the reviews but it would for sure make the difference in how fast new books are indexed. as i said, the oasis 2 took about one hour per 100 books. unless my new pw4 can match that i think i'll keep the oasis 2 as my complete archive and use the pw4 to only hold my short list of books to read and some reference works.

i read that the kindle indexes every word in every book and my worry was that there would be so many total words, it would overflow buffers or if there was a fixed amount of storage allocated for the word list.

/guy
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #306
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
do you know how much ram the oasis 2 has? i've never seen those specs listed or in the reviews but it would for sure make the difference in how fast new books are indexed. as i said, the oasis 2 took about one hour per 100 books. unless my new pw4 can match that i think i'll keep the oasis 2 as my complete archive and use the pw4 to only hold my short list of books to read and some reference works.

i read that the kindle indexes every word in every book and my worry was that there would be so many total words, it would overflow buffers or if there was a fixed amount of storage allocated for the word list.

/guy
Search indexes are stored in a hidden folder: /system/Search Indexes

Amazon never announces under the hood specs, I think. Per this link though, Oasis 2 has 512MB.
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...kindle-oasis-2

For what it's worth, with a little over 700 books, my Index.db is ~13MB, the entire Search Indexes folder is ~90MB and the biggest index file is ~1.8MB for an 850K words book.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #307
gteague
Zealot

ok, after the dust has settled, here's the damage:

space used on kindle: 4.5 gb
/documents/ folder size: 3.12 gb

items in /search indexes/ folder: 2730
/search indexes/ folder size: 822 mb
largest file in /search indexes/ folder: 13.8 mb
index.db size: 122 mb

good info, tks!

Last edited by gteague; 11-08-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #308
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Amazon never announces under the hood specs, I think. Per this link though, Oasis 2 has 512MB.
All Kindles that support VoiceView have 512MB RAM (Paperwhite 7th gen, Voyage, Kindle 8th gen, Oasis 8th & 9th, and now Paperwhite 10th gen).

Apparently the voice data has to be loaded into RAM and 256MB is not big enough for that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #309
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
how better does the text show on the pw4 compared to pw3? the text on pw3 is washed out and not so clear. anyone once owned these two? thanks
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #310
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
how better does the text show on the pw4 compared to pw3? the text on pw3 is washed out and not so clear. anyone once owned these two? thanks
A lot have commented the PW3 is clearer. Mine isn't washed out at all, so it may depend on your particular device. Mileage varies depending on which one you own.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote