Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Snowgoat
Snowgoat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Restoring Library from Saved Copy

Sorry if this was already covered. I did search and read similar questions, but I wound up more confused.

I saved a copy of my Calibre library to my dropbox account last month (metadata and all) for safe keeping.

After having issues syncing my new Kindle Fire HD with with my Calibre the other day, a few of my books were deleted from my desktop Calibre library, metadata got messed up, and a few other issues. Instead of going through each and every book to see what happened, I was wondering if I can use that saved copy of my Calibre Library and restore to it?

Could I recopy that saved Calibre Library to my desktop and use that Library? Or will it not sync? I'm not sure which books were messed up disturbed the other day and I have an extensive library, so I'm hoping for an easier option.
Snowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It will not sync. The updated metadata for the books are stored in the file metadata.db. And if you copy the old library over the current you will end up with the old metadata and possibly a lot of unmaintained duplicate books.

Copy over the old library, but rename the folder first. Or rename the folder with text existing library.

After that you have two libraries. One old but functional and one new but corrupt. If you need to sync them you have to do that by manually copying books between the libraries using Calibre. Don't try to copy or change books inside the Calibre library manually any other way. There lurks chaos and corruption.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You should be able to copy your library from dropbox to a different location on your desktop (different directory) and it should sync with the dropbox copy.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote