Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #1996
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@blaser: We've just covered the "3.x on a DX(g)" case like, three posts above yours...
Sorry but I do not see a solution, I see that there is a challenge.
I didn't do any changes to my DXG for a while so I'm all little bit rusty.
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #1997
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
Sorry but I do not see a solution, I see that there is a challenge.
I didn't do any changes to my DXG for a while so I'm all little bit rusty.
We can only provide you with the same (non-) solution as the most recent person to ask the question before you.

If you find a solution, please post it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #1998
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@blaser: Check the FAQ for real, maybe, since you actually have a DXg, and not a DX like the previous poster?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #1999
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
@blaser: Check the FAQ for real, maybe, since you actually have a DXg, and not a DX like the previous poster?
I understand that azw2 is active content, but what makes the old kindle read and understand this content?
Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #2000
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I understand that azw2 is active content, but what makes the old kindle read and understand this content?
Because it had something which in the process of installing a firmware v3.x was lost.

Go to first post of this thread.
Read down to red section header "FAQs and Known Issues".
Open spoiler.
Go to 7th. bullet point; read it; follow link.
Read and follow directions @ target of the link.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #2001
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Because it had something which in the process of installing a firmware v3.x was lost.

Go to first post of this thread.
Read down to red section header "FAQs and Known Issues".
Open spoiler.
Go to 7th. bullet point; read it; follow link.
Read and follow directions @ target of the link.
Tried that, no luck.
added the file KindleDeviceServicesTN-1.0.jar and ran the patch.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #2002
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reliance on original *matching* 2.5.8 files is essential to the patching process, AFAIU.

So I'd double-check the version you were supplying, whether it was put in the right place, and how that affected the syslog output before/after the patching process.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #2003
knc1
Going Viral

And keep in mind, Java will cache jar contents, so you should do a full (cold) restart after changing one of them.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #2004
blaser
Enthusiast

Done all, still no luck, I took the jar file from 2.58 I downloaded Amazon.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #2005
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh?

Last I checked, amazon didn't ship full updates for legacy devices, only binary deltas, which definitely *won't* do the job here...

You'll need your own original full 2.5.8 backup image.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #2006
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Huh?

Last I checked, amazon didn't ship full updates for legacy devices, only binary deltas, which definitely *won't* do the job here...

You'll need your own original full 2.5.8 backup image.
yes, I do but the jar file I used is the same from the original backup and download from Amazon, right?

something is missing in the package to allow kindle to read azw2 files, it doesn't recognize them as kindle files at all.
Can I try running it manually using usbnet?

Last edited by blaser; 12-26-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #2007
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
yes, I do but the jar file I used is the same from the original backup and download from Amazon, right?

something is missing in the package to allow kindle to read azw2 files, it doesn't recognize them as kindle files at all.
Can I try running it manually using usbnet?
Anything you download from Amazon prior to (about) 5.2 ARE NOT complete images.
They are only incomplete, difference, files.
Amazon only provides incremental change files prior to (about) 5.2.x

You really, really, need to read and follow our directions for de-bricking that device.
Our directions will include links to the recovery image files we built for recovering the older devices.

Last edited by knc1; 12-26-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:52 AM   #2008
techq1
techq1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
I've just updated my PW3 (G090) to 5.10.2 successfully. I reinstalled mrpi from the latest snapshot after checking the md5 hash. Every time I try to install KUAL - the coplate patched version or the latest snapshot mrpi destroys the package.

The mrinstaller log contains entries like this:

[2019-01-25 @ 10:46:09 -0429] :: [MRPI r15595] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_KUALBooklet_78183a5_install.bin' (KUALBooklet 78183a5 I) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_KUALBooklet_78183a5_install.bin' (KUALBooklet 78183a5 I) [return code: 0], skipping . . .

Any ideas - I desperately need KOReader to view scanned PDFs that are useless on the native kindle pdf reader.
techq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #2009
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by techq1 View Post
I've just updated my PW3 (G090) to 5.10.2 successfully. I reinstalled mrpi from the latest snapshot after checking the md5 hash. Every time I try to install KUAL - the coplate patched version or the latest snapshot mrpi destroys the package.

The mrinstaller log contains entries like this:

[2019-01-25 @ 10:46:09 -0429] :: [MRPI r15595] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_KUALBooklet_78183a5_install.bin' (KUALBooklet 78183a5 I) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_KUALBooklet_78183a5_install.bin' (KUALBooklet 78183a5 I) [return code: 0], skipping . . .

Any ideas - I desperately need KOReader to view scanned PDFs that are useless on the native kindle pdf reader.
Please include the full text of the message, if ". . ." was enough information, that is all that the message would print rather than full words.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #2010
techq1
techq1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please include the full text of the message, if ". . ." was enough information, that is all that the message would print rather than full words.
That literally is copy/paste from the mrinstaller.log - there is nothing more & it ends with the
techq1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified