Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Could they PLEASE fix the uneven comfort light issue with this next release? If it's not fixed then that would be silly
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I got the announcement email this morning. Listed as currently orderable on the Kobo web site. No restrictions on ordering listed that I noted.

Last edited by Richwood; 12-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #18
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
You know, I don't know why Kobo is still in business. Their marketing decisions are so odd to me. I've wanted to buy a Kobo One for several years but everytime I decide to, they're either sold out or not available or have released a new, shiny one (with more memory) at a higher price and never, ever ever, never reduce the cost of the old one. Unless my attention span is just interweaving some dance with their marketing. They can't be making much if any money, marketing like they do. I've even thought that maybe they're a money laundering thing by some cartel. I don't really think so, but my frustration has made me think it a couple times.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
You know, I don't know why Kobo is still in business. Their marketing decisions are so odd to me. I've wanted to buy a Kobo One for several years
Can I borrow your time machine? As the Kobo Aura ONE went on sale in October 2016, it hasn't been available for anything that could be called "several years". The only conclusion I can make is that you have used a time machine to travel back from several years in the future to make this post.

Note: This might seem like pedantry on my part, but when you start a post with such an obvious error, it makes me question anything else you write.
Quote:
but everytime I decide to, they're either sold out or not available or have released a new, shiny one (with more memory) at a higher price and never, ever ever, never reduce the cost of the old one. Unless my attention span is just interweaving some dance with their marketing. They can't be making much if any money, marketing like they do. I've even thought that maybe they're a money laundering thing by some cartel. I don't really think so, but my frustration has made me think it a couple times.
If, as you say, the device is continuously sold out, that suggests that they can't keep up with demand. In that case, why on earth would they reduce the price of the device? The usual rule for how much to charge for something is "what the market can bear". Sounds like they have hit the right price. Or are wondering if they should have charged more.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:59 AM   #20
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Well, I know that their price has caused them to have at least one less sale. But I'm sure that they have data which shows at what price they can maximize their profit.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #21
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well, I know that their price has caused them to have at least one less sale.
I think davidfor's point was that if they're actually constantly sold out, this isn't true: there wasn't one more to sell. If they're constantly sold out, then until they can increase production lowering the price doesn't help sell more units.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I suppose that's true. I don't know that they're constantly sold out though. (well, actually now that I look at it, half the Indigos in Toronto are out of stock and the other ones are in single digits.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I suppose that's true. I don't know that they're constantly sold out though. (well, actually now that I look at it, half the Indigos in Toronto are out of stock and the other ones are in single digits.
Much the same in Vancouver. I picked up two for Christmas gifts which left the Chapters I went to with 1 in stock -- they had the most stock in the local area before my purchase.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just ordered it and it still shown in stock and available. In fact all 5 current models seem to be shown as in stock as they can apparently be placed in your shopping cart. I also have the 8 GB version and comparing it with my old Sony PRS-950 the screens are the same height. The Sony screen is narrower and the Sony reader is a bit heavier. In the factory case the Kobo is 12.9 ounces and the Sony is about an ounce heavier in a after market folio case. The Kobo, cased, is wider by about .75"

BTW Amazon has several cases to fit the Kobo Aura One for about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the factory Kobo case including some vertically opening stand cases that look a lot more stable than the Kobo standard single diagonal fold cover stand case. The Amazon offered cases seem to have the auto power off and on of the standard case and offer multiple cover colors and designs.

Any Canadians want to comment on whether available there. Seems to me strange if not seeing as how Kobo has about 25% of the Canadian market and <1% of the USA market reportedly.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #25
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Any Canadians want to comment on whether available there. Seems to me strange if not seeing as how Kobo has about 25% of the Canadian market and <1% of the USA market reportedly.
As far as I know, the limited edition was only released in the USA and Japan.

Last edited by HYPE; 12-26-2017 at 12:27 AM.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #26
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I'd sooner take page turn buttons than 32GB of storage; I find 4GB is plenty as a library becomes pretty unmanageable around that point.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #27
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
Could they PLEASE fix the uneven comfort light issue with this next release? If it's not fixed then that would be silly
To fix it they would need to introduce a test and sort for the individual LEDs or have their vendor do so as LEDs can vary considerably in light output from one to another. They still provide more even illumination than we used to get from the Kindle and Sony lighted cases, or for that matter from the average incandescent reading lamp that people used for 100 years or so.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
To fix it they would need to introduce a test and sort for the individual LEDs or have their vendor do so as LEDs can vary considerably in light output from one to another. They still provide more even illumination than we used to get from the Kindle and Sony lighted cases, or for that matter from the average incandescent reading lamp that people used for 100 years or so.
I think you are downplaying the known issues the Aura ONE has had since it was introduced. Issues other Kobo models haven't had. The fact that they introduced an even more expensive limited edition and still haven't fixed the issues is a black mark on Kobo. And I like Kobo. I'm not trying to trash them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think you are downplaying the known issues the Aura ONE has had since it was introduced. Issues other Kobo models haven't had. The fact that they introduced an even more expensive limited edition and still haven't fixed the issues is a black mark on Kobo. And I like Kobo. I'm not trying to trash them.
I'm curious about what you think theses issues are. Only one comes to mind that might justify not release upgraded version of the Aura ONE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm curious about what you think theses issues are. Only one comes to mind that might justify not release upgraded version of the Aura ONE.
I'm talking about the issues with the splotchy front light. Enough that users have returned multiple devices.

I know readers here are pickier than most, but the Aura ONE has issues not shared by the Aura HD, H20 or H202.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote