Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #106
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanc View Post
This is great, and with djvu support it will be _perfect_.

Keep up the good work, if the speed issue is solved I promise to hang up a poster with the developers names on it :P
LOLed.

DJVU support is on its way. I have just coded a demo that works in emulator mode. Hope I can get it done in the next two weeks
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #107
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Just added a new version. No new features this time, mainly bug fixes:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/wiki/Download
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #108
dave2008
Addict

I have finished a POC djvu support yesterday. It has all the features that pdfreader has, except for TOC, zoom fit to content and rotation.

I might be quite busy in the following weeks so I cannot spend too much time on code clean ups. Therefore I post my branch here, hoping that some body can keep working on this feature:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/tree/djvu

TOC and rotation are supported by djvulibre library, so can be added with little effort.

EDIT:
the branch has been merged into master :-)

Last edited by dave2008; 03-05-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: update branch info
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #109
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
hi many thanks for this it rocks, looking forward to future versions.

wondering everytime i switch back to normal kindle os i get a voice message saying shop in kindel store?

thx

edit

doh had voice guide switched on!
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #110
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidworm View Post
hi many thanks for this it rocks, looking forward to future versions.

wondering everytime i switch back to normal kindle os i get a voice message saying shop in kindel store?

thx

edit

doh had voice guide switched on!
glad that you like it :-)

We have to refresh screen after back to native OS. Currently, we use the method provided by eINiK in previous post, which manually trigger the menu key twice to force a refresh. That's why you hear the guiding voice.
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #111
dave2008
Addict

OMG, when I woke up this morning, hawhill and dpavlin have already merged the djvu support into the main repo! That means djvu support will be added to next release. And we have added many new features and fixes too.

I also saw traycold hacking on the djvu branch. We got four active developers now :-)
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #112
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanc View Post
But I'm having a problem. Big pdfs (mostly scanned books) are really slow to open and to turn pages, up to 20 seconds.
Hawhill added optimization options for compiling in new version. So it is now much faster (about 10 times faster for one of my test file, 20s to 3s).

Hope the new version can solve your problem. :-)

Last edited by dave2008; 03-05-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #113
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
I just finished implementation of two-column zoom mode which is very useful when reading articles on kindle (and frequently requested in this thread) ...
not bad at all
But I think I have a couple of pages for you (s. PM) on which it does not work.
There seems to be no way to go the the second column.

I wonder if it is somehow possible to provide for visualization of where
I stopped reading the upper-part column (some kind of a dashed line below the last line read)?

Last edited by eLiNK; 03-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #114
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
...Currently, we use the method provided by eINiK in previous post, which manually trigger the menu key twice to force a refresh...
To be fair, I just provided the reference to the workaround
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #115
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Hi eLiNK, I just checked the special symbols in one of my pdf book. It turns out that these symbols are caused by wrong formated title enties in the pdf. So, for my case, it is not a bug in kindlepdfviewer nor muPDF. I add a workaround to fix these boxes for my book, not sure it will work for you though. Your boxes mighty be caused by other reasons.

The fixes will be included in next new version after hw merged pull requests I guess.
Works great on all of my files tested

Thanks

a couple of other observations:
1) the "HOME" button does not work, if currently in the TOC mode
2) if I'm in the "Search Results" window, pressing "S" calls up the input box with the previous search word entered but I need to delete it letter by letter before I can enter another search word. I would be more convenient if the search word would have been already marked.
3) Would be sweet if it would be possible to delete the jump history (without plugging the kindle to the PC, that is)

Last edited by eLiNK; 03-05-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #116
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Hawhill added optimization options for compiling in new version. So it is now much faster (about 10 times faster for one of my test file, 20s to 3s).

Hope the new version can solve your problem. :-)
Became better but the kindlepdfviewer seems to still have problems with pages containing "heavy" images.
At least on my KDXG.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #117
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
I have finished a POC djvu support yesterday ...
That's fantastic.
Looking forward to testing it.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #118
vmonkey
vmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
not bad at all
But I think I have a couple of pages for you (s. PM) on which it does not work.
There seems to be no way to go the the second column.
I wonder if it is somehow possible to provide for visualization of where
I stopped reading the upper-part column (some kind of a dashed line below the last line read)?
I also find two-column mode very, very useful. But also have some feedback:
1) When entered two-column mode, is there any way to quit it directly? What I mean it would be great to quit it by pressing f again.
2) Second thing - when navigating in two-column mode and going to next physical page (like shown in the above mentioned video) it is sometimes needed to press f again to fit page to the screen. Could this be done automatically? -> and therefore f could be used to quit two column mode.

Last edited by vmonkey; 03-05-2012 at 02:38 PM.
vmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #119
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
I also find two-column mode very, very useful. But also have some feedback:
1) When entered two-column mode, is there any way to quit it directly? What I mean it would be great to quit it by pressing f again.
You can just press a,s or d (with or without shift) to go into any other zoom mode. Is that good enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmonkey View Post
2) Second thing - when navigating in two-column mode and going to next physical page (like shown in the above mentioned video) it is sometimes needed to press f again to fit page to the screen. Could this be done automatically? -> and therefore f could be used to quit two column mode.
This is needed only if first page on which you pressed f has vastly different layout than next one(s). In example video, it's 2nd page, but it might be some other (try to read FreeBSD mag for example ;-)

I have also noticed that bounding boxes on which this feature is based are often wrong if page includes bitmap graphics, so it makes sense not to re-zoom page on every page change because that really kills flow of reading when you stumble upon page which zooms differently. So, I prefer manual interaction as it is now.

You can, however, change your local copy by inserting following line:

Code:
self:setglobalzoommode(self.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT_HALF_WIDTH)
in unireader.lua (or pdfreader.lua, depending on which version are you using) after

Code:
self:goto(self.pageno + 1)
below KEY_FW_RIGHT. Below is diff against current master:

Code:
diff --git a/unireader.lua b/unireader.lua
index bda0a93..fe4915a 100644
--- a/unireader.lua
+++ b/unireader.lua
@@ -613,6 +613,7 @@ function UniReader:inputloop()
                                                        self.offset_x = self.pan_x
                                                        self.offset_y = self.pan_y
                                                        self:goto(self.pageno + 1)
+                                                       self:setglobalzoommode(self.ZOOM_FIT_TO_CONTENT_HALF_WIDTH)
                                                else
                                                        self.offset_y = self.pan_y
                                                end
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #120
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I guess one of the next things we really need is a settings menu :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote