Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
PRS-650 battery drain

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my PRS-650 battery. It goes down to half full after a couple of days, and sometimes (twice so far) it has drained completely from half to so-empty-it-won't-start overnight.

I have been charging off a Blackberry wall charger, in case that is relevant.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers,

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
How long do you typically let it charge when you plug into the blackberry charger?

Try to let your Reader charge for at least 8 hours then see if the battery life improves.

Also make sure you don't have music playing in the background and the music player on these Readers will drain the battery very fast.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
First of all, like any battery, you should have started by giving it a good charge before trying to use it the first time. I've never seen adverse effects of using the device too soon myself, but I know friends who reported shaving off a lot of the battery's useful life by being impatient the first time. Also, to prolong its life, you should not charge it too often. Instead, give it a full charge only when there's only one bar left. Batteries need to be "exercized" regularly.

My experience, reading about 3 hours a day, quickly flicking through periodicals in the morning, and reading novels at lunch time and in the evening, is that the battery meter goes from fully charged (4 bars) to half dead (2 bars) in a little under a week. I often charge it with a car cellphone charger and it doesn't seem to cause it any trouble, but I always do let the red light turn itself off before unplugging it, so it's always charged up fully.

I'd say give it a couple of full charge/discharge cycles and see if it improves. If not, I reckon you should have the device fixed under warranty.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
That is a problem that occurs from time to time (I think it occurs when reading while charging but I couldn't verify that yet).
It can be fixed by completely shutting off the reader.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
My battery life was severely decreased when I started using a (heavily loaded) memory stick. When I only had books in the Reader's memory, the battery life was excellent.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert