Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Zigouigouiii
Zigouigouiii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question Nightmode for Kobo Aura One

Hello,

I'm sorry, I'm French and I don't speak english, so I hope you'll can understand.

I just buy a Kobo Aura One (first ereader I touch in my life. Yes, it's possible !).
I have a eye's disease. My sight is " dark ". It's complicated for me to read, and even more with a black writing on white background.
So, I try to install this " nightmode " : https://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode/ but it doesn't work.
I put the file " KoboRoot.tgz " into " .kobo " directory. My ereader rebooted (so I think it worked ?). But impossible to activate the nightmode.
I try : long press on the " sun " (top right), long press on the house (top left), brightness on 3 %,... Nothing work.

Is it possible to have a nightmode on Kobo Aura One ?
If I can't put a nightmode, I will be forced to return it.

Can anyone help me, please ?

Thank you very much. Sorry to massacre English !

Have a nice day.
Zigouigouiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There will have to be a night mode written specifically for 4.2.8283 (and later) because of a change from 16bpp to 32bpp. That means that the current night mode needs to be updated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Running 4.2.8283 firmware? Due to a framebuffer change in this firmware, anything older than January 2017 probably won't work. Try this one.

https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz

Have you tried AMOLED displays yet? It's the next best thing after eink, no backlight, black is black and white text you can make shine as brightly as you like...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Zigouigouiii

Thank you very much JSWolf and frostschutz !

Yes, my firmware is 4.2.82.83.
I am relieved, I was thinking it was me doing something wrong.
Is the nightmode updated regularly (Is the update on progress or planned ?) ? How to know when they are a new version ?

I try the file on the link, it doesn't work, no ! But thank you anyway.

I'm not sure to understand exactly what you say about Amoled, I'm sorry.
But I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, with a AMOLED display (my first, I think). Do you advise me to buy another ereader, with AMOLED screen instead of eInk ?
I have difficulty reading on my Samsung despite the good quality of screen.
The only thing who helps me a little is the nightmode (/negative mode). It's hard to explain (my disease is neurological and it's quite particular).
Old 01-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigouigouiii View Post
Thank you very much JSWolf and frostschutz !

Yes, my firmware is 4.2.82.83.
I am relieved, I was thinking it was me doing something wrong.
Is the nightmode updated regularly (Is the update on progress or planned ?) ? How to know when they are a new version ?

I try the file on the link, it doesn't work, no ! But thank you anyway.
Actually, I've tested the file on the link on my KA1 and it does work. There are a couple of issues though. One being is that without a physical light switch, that option is not available to toggle night mode on/off and the second being that with the changes in how the light is handled on the KA1, I was unable to find a way to set the light level to trigger the nightmode toggle/on/off (default in the nightmode.ini file is 11/12/13).

However, if you edit nightmode.ini to enable night mode by default, power off your KA1 and then power it back on, it will be in night mode. From what you have said, this is what you would prefer.

So first, download the KoboRoot.tgz file again, drop it into the .kobo directory on your KA1, safely eject your KA1 and wait patiently. After it finished rebooting, connect it back to your computer and open the nightmode.ini file in the .kobo directory. Modify the two lines under [state] to match the lines below and save nightmode.ini. Safely eject, power cycle your KA1 and it should be in night mode. I've attached a screenshot below.

Code:
# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = yes		# yes / no
retainStateOverRestart = yes	# yes / no
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	1130
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	154629  

Last edited by DNSB; 01-30-2017 at 03:08 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Zigouigouiii

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Actually, I've tested the file on the link on my KA1 and it does work.
Really ?! This is weird. With wich way do you activate it ? Maybe I does'nt have the good method.

Quote:
There are a couple of issues though. One being is that without a physical light switch, that option is not available to toggle night mode on/off and the second being that with the changes in how the light is handled on the KA1, I was unable to find a way to set the light level to trigger the nightmode toggle/on/off (default in the nightmode.ini file is 11/12/13).
It's sure it would be nicer to have a physical button (if I have understand correctly what you said).
For the second issue, maybe a next update will allow that ?

Quote:
However, if you edit nightmode.ini to enable night mode by default, power off your KA1 and then power it back on, it will be in night mode. From what you have said, this is what you would prefer.
I just thank you a thousand times. Because it works perfectly !
I did not download it and install it again, I just tried to edit directly the nightmode.ini. And it works !

What a joy !

This forum is awesome. Too bad we don't have the same in french.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Glad it works for you. Have fun

Try to avoid firmware updates if you're not sure the mod will still work with new firmware. At the very least you'll have to reinstall the mod everytime the firmware is updated.

Nightmode (on e-ink) is not for me, it causes some fierce ghosting.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
KOReader and CoolReader also offer a nightmode option, that is working fine with firmware 4.2.8283.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghtmode+reboot

I installed the nightmode mode I linked, which worked but caused my screen to be divided into fours. I then installed the one in this thread over it.

The result? I can toggle nightmode without a reboot. Just gotta tap the nightmode icon. Not as smooth as the previous method using brightness but better than needing to plug in the Kobo
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as an FYI, the nightmode mod works with 4.2.8432 on a KA1. After installing the new firmware, you need to re-install nightmode and edit the nightmode.ini file as needed.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Nightmode (on e-ink) is not for me, it causes some fierce ghosting.
The few times I tried using nightmode to read, I ended up setting page refresh to every page.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
mamagyver
mamagyver began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
nightmode doesn't work after update kobo aura

Hi, I have tried the method of changing the INI but nightmode still won't work
mamagyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
die
die can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one
Arrow

Quote:
Actually, I've tested the file on the link on my KA1 and it does work. ... to trigger the nightmode toggle/on/off (default in the nightmode.ini file is 11/12/13).

1. So first, download the KoboRoot.tgz file https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz

2. drop KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo directory on your KA1,

3. safely eject your KA1 and wait patiently.
4. After it finished rebooting,
5. connect it back to your computer and open the nightmode.ini file in the .kobo directory.
6. Modify the nightmode.ini two lines under [state] to match the lines below and save nightmode.ini.
Code:
# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = yes		# yes / no
retainStateOverRestart = yes	# yes / no
7. Safely eject, power cycle your KA1 and it should be in night mode. I've attached a screenshot below.
@DNSB Thank you so much, it works flawlessly.
ka1 kobo aura one in night mode works perfectly!

Last edited by die; 02-18-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: ka1 kobo aura one in night mode works perfectly
die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by die View Post
@DNSB Thank you so much, it works flawlessly.
ka1 kobo aura one in night mode works perfectly!
You're welcome.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
fraggle111
fraggle111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O, Kindle PW
Hi!
Has anybody found a way to toggle nightmode by brightness percentage meanwhile??

It's getting me frustrated that I can't use nightmode like I could on my H2O :-(
fraggle111 is offline   Reply With Quote