Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2015, 03:09 AM   #31
wings
wings began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H2O
the sftp connection problem of V1.4

After upgrading to kobostuff 1.4, the sftp connecting to my Kobo auro H2O doesnt work. Winscp 5.7 always pops the dialog "no supported authentication methods available server sent: publickey".

It's ok when rollback to 1.3. And my Kobo H2O is on the FW 3.18.0

Can anybody tell me what I can do to solve the problem? Thanks

Last edited by wings; 10-31-2015 at 03:16 AM.
wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@wings: Huh. Apparently, interactive/password logins broke somewhere along the way... Thanks for pointing that out, I rarely login without a pubkey.

I don't have time to figure this out right now, but you're not doing anything wrong .

Until I have time to fix it, shared keys work fine, so, there's that, at least .

EDIT: Gah, found the issue. Next build will be fixed, thanks .

EDIT²: Done. Should be fixed in 1.4.N-r12570, thanks for reporting this . (FWIW, it should only have affected builds posted in the last ~2 weeks).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-31-2015 at 03:13 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2015, 10:49 PM   #33
wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@wings: Huh. Apparently, interactive/password logins broke somewhere along the way... Thanks for pointing that out, I rarely login without a pubkey.

I don't have time to figure this out right now, but you're not doing anything wrong .

Until I have time to fix it, shared keys work fine, so, there's that, at least .

EDIT: Gah, found the issue. Next build will be fixed, thanks .

EDIT²: Done. Should be fixed in 1.4.N-r12570, thanks for reporting this . (FWIW, it should only have affected builds posted in the last ~2 weeks).

Great, that works fine now! Thank you for the special 'Halloween' verison ;-)

BTW, I know nothing about the public-key based auth, that's why I'm not using shared key auth. Could you please give me the brief tutorial about how to use shared key in winscp+kobostuff/dropbear environment?

I know it will cost your time, so please post just in your convenient time. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@wings: I can't remember the state of the docs on that subject, but it's basically the same as on any other OpenSSH/Dropbear system, and there are a large amount of tutorials available on that subject (we might even have some tailored to the Kindle world in the Kindle Dev forum), the only difference is the location of the authorized_keys file (something that should be specified somewhere in the first post).

Granted, on Windows, you may have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops because of reasons (mostly, PuTTy using a different format for key pairs). Once that's taken care of, FileZilla handles PuTTY's ssh-agent (Pageant) transparently (and WinSCP might, too, can't remember).

Spoiler alert: if you have no other use for it, setting up an ssh-agent on Windows may be a tiny bit overkill, and/or more trouble than it's worth.
(Especially in this specific instance where you don't actually have to remember a password, since the ssh server is patched to let anything in).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-31-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #35
wings

Quote:
@wings: I can't remember the state of the docs on that subject, but it's basically the same as on any other OpenSSH/Dropbear system, and there are a large amount of tutorials available on that subject (we might even have some tailored to the Kindle world in the Kindle Dev forum), the only difference is the location of the authorized_keys file (something that should be specified somewhere in the first post).

Granted, on Windows, you may have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops because of reasons (mostly, PuTTy using a different format for key pairs). Once that's taken care of, FileZilla handles PuTTY's ssh-agent (Pageant) transparently (and WinSCP might, too, can't remember).

Spoiler alert: if you have no other use for it, setting up an ssh-agent on Windows may be a tiny bit overkill, and/or more trouble than it's worth.
(Especially in this specific instance where you don't actually have to remember a password, since the ssh server is patched to let anything in).
Hi NiLuJe, I will follow you advice in the spoiler, won't touch the shared key settings in windows.
There's no demand of using the shared key auth, I'm just wondering how it works.

There's my guess:
1. Make a pairs of keys by puttygen
2. Copy the public key to dropbear, though I really has no idea about how to do that.
I guess the public key need to be put in 'usr/local/niluje/usbnet/etc'. However, The public key puttygen made seems an ascii file while the key files in usr/local/niluje/usbnet/etc seem in binary format. And, I only has one public key, but there are three key files, dss/rsa/ecdsa_host_key, in the usr/local/niluje/usbnet/etc!
3. Config the winscp+pageant to work with the private key.

Don't laugh at my guess if it's incorrect.

Last edited by wings; 11-01-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Advert
Old 02-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #36
Vgx
Vgx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi guys, could you please explain the easiest possible step-by-step way how to connect Kobo H2O via telnet and grab a screenshot? My only command prompt skills were from MS-DOS days
Vgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #37
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nothing wrong with doing it via telnet, but Kobo also has a builtin screenshot feature, which you might prefer if you're not comfortable with telnet anyhow? You just have to enable it in the Kobo eReader.conf file.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 AM   #38
Vgx
Vgx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Nothing wrong with doing it via telnet, but Kobo also has a builtin screenshot feature, which you might prefer if you're not comfortable with telnet anyhow? You just have to enable it in the Kobo eReader.conf file.
It's fine with me, but I'm pretty sure I've read on other thread that built-in method is not working anymore since some fw update?

Last edited by Vgx; 02-04-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Vgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:30 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgx View Post
It's fine with me, but I'm pretty sure I've read on other thread that built-in method is not working anymore since some fw update?
It stopped working for a few firmware versions, but it has been fixed for a long time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No idea if they fixed the broken cropping on the H2O though, I haven't checked in a while since fbgrab pretty much does what I want now .
Old 08-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #41
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
(AFAICT, that loop0 udev trick is used in a number of Kobo packages (David Beinder's kobo-nightmode and Andreas Klauer's AutoPatch, for instance),
no idea who got the idea first ).
While playing around with the "windows doesn't detect kobo usb storage" problem, I noticed there is a huge downside to this trick... when using losetup on the Kobo to create loop devices, it's triggered again and again (unless you use loop1 instead of loop0 as a loop device, ...). So mods that don't check if their scripts were already running, suddenly have multiple instances, and other side effects.

Maybe mods should switch to something else after all... or ignore "change" events for loop0.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@frostschutz: Ooh, good point.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to look into it. At the very least check that my stuff won't loop (ha!) like crazy if re-run .
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #43
rgm
Enthusiast
rgm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
SSH success.

Quote:
As my device list attests to, I'm mostly a Kindle guy, but I nonetheless got a H2O

Hi NiLuJe,

I have just installed your package, just because I need SSH on my brand new KOBO H2O.

Thank you very much for this development!!!!

I followed your work in old time !
I used your Kindle stuffs on my KNT4 and I very well known your name
There is no dubt this also a quality work from you.

For others step by step how to have ssh on H2O:

Why SSH?

Because this is the one of the simplest way to push documents to your Kobo H2O!

1. download NiLuJe compressed package from this forum #1 post. (kobo-stuff-1.4.N-r13159.tar.xz)
2. Untar kobo-stuff-1.4.N-r13159.tar.xz (i.e.:7zip for windows)
You will find a KoboRoot.tgz in it.
2. Connect Kobo H2O with USB to your PC.
3. Open your Kobo's .kobo directory and copy KoboRoot.tgz to it.
4. Push USB safe remove button on windows, or umount on linux.
5. disconnect USB cable. Wait for update sign.

You done. SSH and other stuffs installed on Kobo

How to start an SSH session?
1. Start Wifi and the Web Browser! on Kobo.
2. Discover your Kobo's IP.:
For example Angry IP scanner is one option. (Free)
3. ssh to Kobo ip:
Linux:
e.g.: ssh root@192.168.178.25 (No password!)
or Putty for windows.
or AndFTP for Android devices! (free)

AndFTP Settings :

How to upload a (i.e.:PDF) document?

Select your file on Android device and upload to Kobo's /mnt/onboard directory.

PDF File is in the right folder. Koreader can show it.

BTW: Anyone know how to refresh Nickel to realise new file arrived?

I hope it is help for others.

Best Regards,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AndFTP_Settings.jpg
Views:	1546
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	151060   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfile.jpg
Views:	1514
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	151061  

Last edited by rgm; 08-19-2016 at 04:34 AM.
rgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #45
rgm
Enthusiast
rgm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Thanks for nice warning I follow the rules.
Pictures are corrected.

Last edited by rgm; 08-19-2016 at 04:33 AM.
rgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssh, telnet, tools